It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I apologize for my oversight, I have always respected your posts Charles. Would you be so kind as to remind me of what your question was?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by vethumanbeing

AfterInfinity
I am an atheist and I have a very functional capacity for love. Obviously you miscalculated somewhere. It could even be a possibility that you don't understand atheism at all. Or at least not my kind anyway. Not all atheists are the same you know. and no I do not deny my own existence. My existence is real enough to me to treated as though it were actually real, whether or not it is. You generalize far too much sir. You may want to attend to that.

I have never heard that there was a 'functional' capacity for love in the VERY form. Is that like flipping a light switch, it sounds calculated and not genuine emotion expressed. I do not understand the concept of Atheism as a doctrine as there is no proving the non-existance of God. It is far easier to prove the existance as it is all about you/yourself included. I had NO IDEA that not all Atheists were NOT the same. How so? What are the differences. You can if youd like call me Brigadier General Veteran Human Being. Any 'General' 4 star classification would fit my rank and profile.
edit on 18-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Dear AfterInfinity,

I'm sure joecroft will provide a better answer, but I noticed two things in your most recent post. One is the recognition that throughout history mankind has believed in gods.

Two, are you suggesting that Catholicism or Christianity has the view that people are "the toys and playthings of the gods?" How did you reach that conclusion?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Are all Christians the same? Could you enlighten me as to the differences between the various denominations and their beliefs? The belief in the non-existence of a deity leaves quite a lot of room for difference in opinion.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I find it hard to believe that we were created for anything other than the amusement and gratification know of any and all gods that mankind happens to believe in. This is exemplified in the fact that we are apparently expected to worship all of them. If a God exists and you believe in it you are required to worship it. The few exceptions are mostly pagan.
edit on 18-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I only know what I've been working for
another you so I could love you more
I really thought that I could take you there
but my experiment is not getting us anywhere

I had a vision I could turn you right
a stupid mission and a lethal fight
I should have seen it when my hope was new
my heart is black and my body is blue

And I'm losing my favourite game
you're losing your mind again
I'm losing my favourite game
I've tried but you're still the same
I'm losing my baby
you're losing a saviour and a saint

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

A touching gesture but ultimately futile, I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinity,

Please forgive the wishy-washy answer, but "yes and no."

This is exemplified in the fact that we are apparently expected to worship all of them. If a God exists and you believe in it you are required to worship it.

If a God exists, and I believe in Him, consider what goes along with that. He created the world, sustains my life, forgives my sins, contains all goodness and beauty, makes an eternity with Him possible by the sacrifice His Son made, gave me free will to choose my path, and provides guidance by the Holy Spirit.

Why wouldn't a normal person worship a God like that? I'm not required or expected to worship Him, but how can I not? If a person looks at blue and says it's gray, that's his choice but it's a good sign he's got color blindness. I have color in my life, albeit through a glass darkly, and I'm grateful to the Creator for it. Darn right, I'm going to worship Him.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. I forgot the "amusement and gratification" part. I don't believe God "needs" us for anything. He's not imperfectly amused or gratified, those are human conditions. We're here because He loves us and wants the best for us. Better than an animal life that comes to a rather banal end, an eternal life filled with beauty and glory. "I want to be in that number, when the Saints go marching in." - C -
edit on 18-6-2013 by charles1952 because: Add P.s.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Are all Christians the same? Could you enlighten me as to the differences between the various denominations and their beliefs? The belief in the non-existence of a deity leaves quite a lot of room for difference in opinion.

I have no idea, they have many churches divided; I dont understand the denominations why that is except many power struggles ensued throughout history and someone/no one could come to an agreement other than the Judeo/Christian Bible as a foundation was/is at least the cornerstone. There is no Atheist handbook as I know of and no righteous leader of such living? There are other treatises but they are philosophical and esoteric in nature; queries as to what ifs "no God? = no Humanbeing". Then you get into the messiness of Creationism and Intelligent Design. WAY OFF TOPIC.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

If their god exists in the full capacity as believed by the Judaic, Then he is the sole engineer of everything I have ever experienced and committed. He created the environment and the inclination. My only rule was to make the choice and he knew I would. If such a God exists in such a capacity than he is responsible for every single act of horror and cruelty that has ever occurred and ever will occur. He has failed to take responsibility and his in action speaks for his character. Not to mention that such a nature as is ascribed to him is technically impossible in such a universe as this one. He is either im perfect and irresponsible or he does not exist at all. Either way I have no desire to consign my soul to him. I claim responsibility for my destiny and my happiness. I possess the power to control my life and I intend to exercise it. I do not need a god to give my life meaning. I will give myself meaning. It is actually so much more complicated than this but I am on my phone and so it is difficult to elaborate.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

If their god exists in the full capacity as believed by the Judaic, Then he is the sole engineer of everything I have ever experienced and committed. He created the environment and the inclination. My only rule was to make the choice and he knew I would. If such a God exists in such a capacity than he is responsible for every single act of horror and cruelty that has ever occurred and ever will occur. He has failed to take responsibility and his in action speaks for his character. Not to mention that such a nature as is ascribed to him is technically impossible in such a universe as this one. He is either im perfect and irresponsible or he does not exist at all. Either way I have no desire to consign my soul to him. I claim responsibility for my destiny and my happiness. I possess the power to control my life and I intend to exercise it.

That's just like a blank post to me man. I must be saved

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Thank you for your rude post. I am so pleased to see that your religion has raised you properly. Your God must be a very effective teacher to have raised his disciples with such a decorum and respect for others.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

You are so spirit!
Thank YOU!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinity,

I may be misunderstanding, but there seems to be a jump in your thinking that isn't completely justified. While God is outside time and "knows" everything past and future, it doesn't follow that he "controls" everything.

But leave that aside for now, there is something much more important going on here.

Either way I have no desire to consign my soul to him. I claim responsibility for my destiny and my happiness. I possess the power to control my life and I intend to exercise it.
I love you, but you have written just about the most frightening thing a human can write. Honestly, I'm scared.

I believe that there is a God. When you face Him after death and tell Him that you have no desire to consign your soul to Him, I can only imagine Him saying "So be it." He will not condemn you to Hell, you will tell Him you don't want to be with Him, and you won't be.

If there is anything I can do or say to prevent this horror, please tell me either here or U2U. You will get what you ask for.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I believe that there is a God. When you face Him after death and tell Him that you have no desire to consign your soul to Him, I can only imagine Him saying "So be it."

IF you remember correctly... not everyone will "see God"...

Mat 5

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

Forgive my brief response, but I'm worried about AfterInfinity. I hope his writing came from an excess of passion, and not from his true heart. I'm worried about him and scared for him.

As far as Matthew 5, He said the pure in heart would see God. Two comments. He didn't say anyone wouldn't see God, all will face judgment, and that kind of "seeing God" is awe inspiring. "Seeing God" was also the highest reward a Jew could imagine. Even Moses was told to turn away from God as he was passing. So it can mean both judgment and being in Heaven. Context helps.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

Forgive my brief response, but I'm worried about AfterInfinity. I hope his writing came from an excess of passion, and not from his true heart. I'm worried about him and scared for him.

As far as Matthew 5, He said the pure in heart would see God. Two comments. He didn't say anyone wouldn't see God, all will face judgment, and that kind of "seeing God" is awe inspiring. "Seeing God" was also the highest reward a Jew could imagine. Even Moses was told to turn away from God as he was passing. So it can mean both judgment and being in Heaven. Context helps.

With respect,
Charles1952

True enough... Though even paul said there are levels of heaven...

Science says there are at least 7 dimensions... The gnostics believed in several levels of heaven as well, and even in Hindu beliefs there are various levels of consciousness...

Perhaps not everyone will face God... but be judged by those that testify against them?

ye think?

By the way I believe he is a she... and I wouldn't worry about her... Everyone has their place

edit on 19-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

Originally posted by windword

No, the universe is God. If the essense of faith is love, the Atheist has no place, as it does not understand or have the capacity to love anything; not even itself I suspect.

What an ignorant statement! Do you honestly believe that atheists CAN'T love their mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, spouses, friends and neighbors? We're talking about atheists, not psychopaths! Geez! Generalize much?

Honestly, I cannot say that I know atheists 'in general' to be sociopathic (NOT psychopaths GEEZ), however if so clinically being certainly would not have the capacity of love as would not know what it was; Self Sacrafice, Compassion, The do gooding philanthropist gestures: donating to the Red Cross, Pell Grants etal. Extra money lying about (no church to tithe an automatic10% of income to).

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that atheist can't be natural do gooders?

By the way, I have been in the company of plenty of religious folk that I would classify as "sociopaths".

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

What will you do if come your NDE or DE (the one you don't come back from, in the same form anyway) and your friend is standing there with Jesus..?

What will you do If you die and a small bald chap in the lotus position says and which God did you follow? or a blue woman with many arms?.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

but I'm worried about AfterInfinity. I hope his writing came from an excess of passion, and not from his true heart. I'm worried about him and scared for him.
You are right to be worried about him because I have a feeling that that person's life he held as his prisoner it's in danger.

If authorities will take act of what is really happening in that house that poor creature will be freed from slavery.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join