It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by anthonycooper

it is not self reliance regardless of god or no god, it is self reliance BECAUSE of no god.

Well... If your "self reliance" IS "BECAUSE of no god", you TRULY don't know what "self reliance" IS.

it is faith in myself, in what i know.

No, it's not!

Your new found "faith" only helps you feel good about yourself. That's why there are so many "flavors" of "Church" in the US. Most people can find one that "suits their needs". Atheism is just another "Theism".

i have always gotten better results that way.

Hell! I thought your "conversion" was recent!

They havent figured out the "theism" part yet: To be an atheist, you must acknowledge God to some extent as a theist believes in a God componant, the A-theist must have some connection to that ideaform (whether they like it or not). It would be better to say "I just dont care about a God concept so dont bother me about it". NOOO they are adament in the rejection, and CANNOT DISPROVE THE EXISTANCE EITHER, so they are in the same lost and found box at the local Bowling Alley, argueing about who is going to come collect them, if and when.
edit on 18-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

They havent figured out the "theism" part yet: To be an atheist, you must acknowledge God to some extent as a theist believes in a God componant the A-theist must have some connection to that ideaform (whether they like it or not).

I acknowledge that some people believe in a god. I have reasons to believe there is no god, more reasons that I have to believe there is one. Just because there is a connection doesn't mean there is support. Just because an idea is defined by another doesn't mean the two are compatible and complementary. They could be utilized in such a manner, but their essential and initial meanings are not complementary. One must take virtues and ideas from both webs in order to form a compatible tertiary web, but that's another story for another thread.

It would be better to say "I just dont care about a God concept so dont bother me about it". NOOO they are adament in the rejection, and CANNOT DISPROVE THE EXISTANCE EITHER, so they are in the same lost and found box at the local Bowling Alley, argueing about who is going to come collect them, if and when.

The same can be said about yourself. So when are you going to prove me wrong? When are you going to prove theism is the only logical approach to reality?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

He's not demonstrating a faith in himself! He is only demonstrating a faith in you, and your beliefs.

Where has he said that? The vast majority of the experiences upon which he has based his decision come from his own life. I just gave him the intellectual push that complemented his floundering faith. He was still attempting to salvage his Catholicism, but thought better of it after talking to me and reviewing his own experiences.

He is demonstrating an informed and educated transition from faith in a god to faith in himself. He is now free to be himself to his heart's desire, without fear of being condemned for his imperfect nature. He is now free to make mistakes and learn from them, and is now 100% responsible for himself. He is his own judge now.

There's nothing else I can tell you.

What happened to all of that "self reliance", that we were discussing earlier?

I get the distinct impression you are being deliberately persnickety, and not for any particularly instructive purpose.

I always rate "Prophets" by the number of "I's" they use in their sermons. You received a fairly high score.

I'm not a prophet, nor did I claim to be one. Continue to make erroneous allegations, Sir Troll. I'm in stitches right now over your ASS-umptions.

Nope! That's not true! In reality, you only DENIED his previous "spiritual independence".

Do you have reasonable and substantial evidence for this conclusion?

edit on 18-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I am defending the power of self-reliance and self empowerment and the lack of need for a deity. I am defending the potential of atheism and its emotional and psychological benefits. I am defending the freedom of choice and human nature. I am defending the independence of spirit. I am sorry if you have a problem with that but it won't change how I feel about it or my pursuit of seizing the full human potential as it relates to myself. Perhaps someday you will come to recognize what I am talking about and then you will know the freedom of spiritual independence.

I always rate "Prophets" by the number of "I's" they use in their sermons. You received a fairly high score.

my friend is already well on his way to discovering potential of spiritual independence.

[quoteBenReclusedNope! That's not true! In reality, you only DENIED his previous "spiritual independence"

Caught him off guard, saw a weakness that was exploitable and pounced. Sounds just like some missionaries Ive had the pleasure to spray (off the property) with a hose. See no difference; except I think Madeline Murray O'Hares Pamphlets are not widely available now; got to go the next step, buy a printing press; find a basement black out the windows and be on the lookout for potentical snitches as to your activities.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Caught him off guard, saw a weakness that was intrieging and pounced. Sounds just like some missionaries Ive had the pleasure to spray (off the property) with a hose. See no difference; except I think Madeline Murray O'Hares Pamphlets are not widely available now; got to go the next step, buy a printing press; find a basement and be on the lookout for potentical snitches as to your activities.

I'm sorry you feel that way. How you choose to interpret my messages is not my responsibility, however. I'm sure you follow FOX news quite religiously.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I suppose quotes and words are deceptive; even if right there in front of you.

Or perhaps you're just reluctant to accept such words and quotes for exactly what they appear to be. You've demonstrated your suspicious regard numerous times in this thread, leaving me to wonder exactly what I have done to give you such cause to accuse me of being manipulative and evil.

My friend AnthonyCooper has give this audience every reason to believe that he has his own reasons to his transition, and that he has never at any point experienced coercion at my hand. So where do your suspicions come from? I am a little concerned that someone would even think to level such allegations against me.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

No, my dear, my comment wasn't in response to you, and AI is NOT my mentor. Carry on!

You are correct, someone needs to change their name; too many w's and 7/8 letter derivations. Im changing my name to "windsock" to futher confuse the audience.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Caught him off guard, saw a weakness that was intrieging and pounced. Sounds just like some missionaries Ive had the pleasure to spray (off the property) with a hose. See no difference; except I think Madeline Murray O'Hares Pamphlets are not widely available now; got to go the next step, buy a printing press; find a basement and be on the lookout for potentical snitches as to your activities.

afterinfinity
I'm sorry you feel that way. How you choose to interpret my messages is not my responsibility, however. I'm sure you follow FOX news quite religiously

Thats the last thing Id like; 'choose' to interpret your messages at all and I have not seen you (AS YET) on Fox News; is this breaking news going to be soon and when should I be tuned in? The commentators are far more skilled than I in "interpreting the message" and or its purpose or relative storyline topic, maybe "Explain Tornado Activity and What is Responsible if not the Weather Gods"

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You are correct, someone needs to change their name; too many w's and 7/8 letter derivations. Im changing my name to "windsock" to futher confuse the audience.

Windsock, eh? Limp and full of empty air.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You appear to be assuming that every post I make in this thread is automatically false and must therefore be inverted in order to extract any degree of truth. This is what I mean by 'interpretation'. Otherwise, you would take me at my word as I have no reason to lie to anyone here. It's not as though I'm asking you to believe in a god or something.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Windsock, eh? Limp and full of empty air.

It was a form I was afraid of as a child, still have no understanding as to why except Windsocks move unpredictably, and were threatening; could not interpret the purpose or meaning of them (too young to understand wind concept and how it related to an F104 Starfighter/B52 Stratofortress flightline).

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You appear to be assuming that every post I make in this thread is automatically false and must therefore be inverted in order to extract any degree of truth. This is what I mean by 'interpretation'. Otherwise, you would take me at my word as I have no reason to lie to anyone here. It's not as though I'm asking you to believe in a god or something.

Its more as though you are asking me not to believe in a "god or something". But its your soapbox, Im just a heckler in the crowd as you see it, carnival barker if I ever saw one because you have a mission. You dont make suppostions you demand a strident hearing of these beliefs of yours. I suppose without debate or an audience you might be silenced, but its all interesting and furthers diologe (as Ive said before). Its all to good purpose.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
"Let the little children come unto me and do not hinder them."

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

You chose to come to this thread, knowing your beliefs would be challenged. Every minute you spend here, is a minute you have chosen not to leave. I will not take responsibility for your choices, nor will I accept the blame.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
double post.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Lets be fair If I wanted to make up a Religion I would write the exact same thing....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You chose to come to this thread, knowing your beliefs would be challenged. Every minute you spend here, is a minute you have chosen not to leave. I will not take responsibility for your choices, nor will I accept the blame.

What makes you think I have a belief system? I dislike them as they connote indrocrination. You have a belief system, therefore I challenge it. You have everything to be responsible for, its your thread and you do not nurture your respondees, you attack them. There were at least 3 pages of respite, Pgs 22-25 that was almost akin to reading a 'lovefest' between you and your devotees, mind numbing spall. I chose to come to this thread because you wrote the OP and created a topic that is interesting. What is with the bullying, every minute I spend here is because I want to and what blame are you accepting/alluding to?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

NewAge, youve got to be more specific, you are going to have Satanists crawling all over your comment.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

What are your challenges then?

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join