It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Ignorance is Strength

How true.. Look at how the intelligent are constantly derided in school. Perhaps this has changed since my time there, but I was *constantly* made fun of for being intelligent. This is part of our cultural story, which I believe was consciously chosen to maintain a certain status quo. The main question is; Who does this status quo benefit?

War is Peace

How often do we see this is the case? Even in what I consider "justifiable" wars (revolutionary war, for example), it seems that peace follows war. Perhaps we need to repeat it just to witness to horror for ourselves. Yet, wars that were fought with even a modicum of legitimacy are then used to *exploit* the modern world into war. So many in my family were literally chanting "bomb the middle east!!" after 911. All the while, I kept being outspoken about how more violence does nothing but continue the damn cycle. Most of these people still consider things like PRISM to be "for our own good."

Slavery is Freedom

Once you have convinced the people of this very simple tenet, historically done through religion, those who are the owners have unquestioned power. What was the biggest issue for the monarchies in the middle ages? The idea that their slaves knew they were slaves. Over years, they have convinced us, the people, that simply chanting the "FREEDOM" mantra actually makes us free.

While religion has been the tool for these types of divisions historically, I feel that other methods are being used alongside it now. Even including science. I think it has been sewn into every facet of our society from our education system, to our media.

The thing is, our true freedom can *never* be taken away. Our ability to seek the truth for ourselves can only be *given* away. Sadly, that is exactly what we see so many do, all the while blaming whatever they are against for the atrocity.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Pity we can't put them all on a land mass devoid of nuclear weapons and let them all just fight til the last religion standing....then...

Same plan I have for the warmongering government (religious) douches that use drones (or crusader-style armies) and send youths (recruits) to kill others.....
Only they get NO YOUTHS or "soldiers" (Onward-Christian Ones or Dressed-in-Fatigues ones), and just have to battle it out among themselves. Last one standing gets to be left to die while the buzzards take care of the carnage.

Oh wait. That would be pretty violent
bad idea.

edit on 18-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

How true.. Look at how the intelligent are constantly derided in school. Perhaps this has changed since my time there, but I was *constantly* made fun of for being intelligent. This is part of our cultural story, which I believe was consciously chosen to maintain a certain status quo. The main question is; Who does this status quo benefit?

It is important to never make intelligence look expendable.

The thing is, our true freedom can *never* be taken away. Our ability to seek the truth for ourselves can only be *given* away. Sadly, that is exactly what we see so many do, all the while blaming whatever they are against for the atrocity.

But why? Why would they give it away? Do you have any insights you would like to share?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

What gives the teacher the right to tell you you're wrong?

That teacher's "right" would require two things:
1) A Teaching Certificate

2) My voluntary participation in, at least, one of that teacher's classes.

If you believe you are right, even if you are wrong, surely the teacher has no right to disillusion you.

Are you certified to teach Theology, or even "Atheism"?

You have the right to be wrong, don't you?

Unlike you, that's a "right" that I try to AVOID exercising.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 18-6-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Understanding is Freedom

Especially in the form of "understanding others."

To truly change the world for the better, I think the only way is to take down the dividing lines in our own life. Its not easy, I can tell you that after years of attempting it.

The only way we can get through "this" is together, regardless of idealogy. Because, it isnt the specific group the person belongs to that is the issue, it is the part of us that desires to exploit others instead of empower them.

It weakens all of us, since we are all part of the same chain.

I do not think this will happen until people are forced to make a decision between creation and destruction though. And, that time will come when we have the next "true" breakthrough in science. Which is much closer than anyone may think.

What will we choose?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I don't agree with any of this. You do not put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

But why? Why would they give it away? Do you have any insights you would like to share?

That's why.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Are you certified to teach Theology, or even "Atheism"?

Who says I am teaching? I am expressing myself. My friend is expressing himself. We are all expressing ourselves. I only ask that all instances of expression be respectful and courteous to all participants and viewers. I don't think this is unreasonable.

Unlike you, that's a "right" that I try to AVOID exercising.

See ya,
Milt

You seem to be implying that I am wrong in some way. While I may not be absolutely right in many regards, nor am I absolutely wrong. Some of these questions don't have a right or wrong answer, just an approach that is more productive or less productive in the long term.
edit on 18-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I know, that's what I meant by "it would be violent."
I don't agree with it either.
But sometimes it's a comforting fantasy. Sometimes. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

That is but one example. I prefer not to judge the orchard by one apple.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Let's all behave now. Lead by example.

Yes, thank you Afterinfinity for giving me the credit I deserve

Are you some kind of orchestrator of the gang. You're the one going down first then.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

It is important to never make intelligence look expendable.

Isnt it? I truly think the opposite should be true, that we encourage intelligence. And even beyond that, that we should encourage constant learning and growth. The universe ALL around us sets a precedence for how this place works, why do we choose to ignore it? Who do you feel benefits from having it set up this way?

Lets just pretend I know how it was done. We can all do that, I think.

It wasnt so much about convincing people to give it away, but more exchange it for something which the serfs felt was of equal value. This couldnt happen overnight, but through established systems that cultivate a certain "form." Much like making vines go up a trellis in the exact way you desire.

The vine on the far left wanted to feel "better" than the others. So, the primitive approach to this would be to weave the other vines in a way that they would choke each other out. Thus making the vine on the left "bigger" than the others. The vine never considered that this would also inhibit itself, since it could never, ever hope to cover the entire trellis itself.

The idea was that convincing the vines to blot each other out could make them like the vine on the left. Doesnt everyone want to prosper? So, to have the "freedom of growth" that the lead vine has, they are willing to choke each other out because that is how the "top vine" achieved it.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So do I, but sadly, there are other marquees available as pics that say the same thing.
I should bow out now. I need to go outside and chillax.

Sorry for the disruptions.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Comforting scenarios that appeal to our darker side make it easier to give in when provided the opportunity to express such sentiments. It's best to make our good will clear instead of broadcasting how much we'd like all the religious people to just crawl in a hole and die. I don't want that. I want them to be free to express their opinions with regard for the feelings and freedoms of others. Just as I am able to stand in a street and shout, "ATHEIST POWER!" I feel they should be allowed to stand on the opposite corner and scream, "JESUS SAVES!"

If these sentiments changed our lives for the better, respectively, then all the more power to each of us. We can then go grab a coffee together and discuss how our lives have improved since we each found the freedom most necessary for our happiness. No one seems to understand that this thread is about how my friend has found the freedom to seek his own happiness, regardless of what some man in a robe tells him is right or wrong. He has found his own strength. That's what makes me happy. He will be free to seek his fate at his own discretion and find his own happiness instead of living for the happiness of an invisible man in the sky.

I'm not proselytizing. I am celebrating. But some feel this is not cause for celebration.
edit on 18-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

But......but.......I don't want to get sent to an island and fight to the death! I refuse to go anywhere there isn't Pop Tarts and coffee- it's just not cricket!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

You don't have to, dear. I meant only the 'leaders' that call for violence. NOT the congregations or soldiers.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Come now....you would be the last one..no one can beat you dear

But you wouldn't be sent anyway, never have I seen you trying to convert with threats of Hell etc.
That is why Iam anti religion because It just wants more member to the club, If people just kept it to themselves I would have no problem about it.
edit on 18-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

link   

Oops; you went all wrong there, where do you hide? I wouldn't dare showing my face in public anymore.

link   

It has always seemed to me that the more you are willing to fight, the less you are willing to listen. A true warrior will never resort to violence as a first solution. This may seem paradoxical, but perhaps the term 'paradox' should be redefined to mean "a balance in which two polar elements serve the same purpose".

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Oops; you went all wrong there, where do you hide? I wouldn't dare showing my face in public anymore.

The only person who would recommend silence is that person whom is afraid what might be said. What are you afraid I might say?

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join