It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by littled16

My friend is gay. Unless he spends the rest of his life hating himself, there's really no turning back for him.

I'm glad your friend is mentally in a better place now.

Why does he have to choose between God or No God though. I'm always perplexed when people think they have to choose one religion over another, whether it be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, etc.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Are you boasting about your persuasive skills? If so its like boasting about how you turned your lover gay.

I am now glad that I decided to add the note at the top of my OP. Please refer to it.
edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Why does he have to choose between God or No God though. I'm always perplexed when people think they have to choose one religion over another, whether it be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, etc.

He is on the road to being self-confident and secure in who he is. However he chooses to do that is fine by me, as long as no one gets hurt in the process. He chose to be atheist like me, for reasons he hasn't entirely explained but were apparently bolstered by our lengthy conversations as of late.

I will ask him and get back to you on that, if you wish.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

So you completely tore a 50 year old man's belief system apart?

What bugs me is you sound proud about it.

His religious upbringing has been a source of torment for the past 30 years of his life. Only now has he been able to let go of that emotional baggage. Yes, I am proud for enabling him to do that.

I am not trying to pick a fight. But what exactly qualifies you to preach this?

Is it because you have over 9000 posts on ATS?

Has the thought crossed your mind you may be wrong?

Just what if you are wrong?

It's an honest question...

What if you are wrong? Did that occur to you as you typed your post? What if we are all just brains in jars? What of atheism and Christianity and Islam and Taoism and Buddhism then?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

.I have both furthered the cause and preserved my integrity in the process. I inadvertently converted a Catholic to atheism. You may bow now.
reply to post by AfterInfinity

This ending statement makes it seem like you were boasting...By ending it like this makes your beginning disclaimer seem fake...You may bow now...like we as readers should bow to you oh worthy one of wisdom...

edit on (6/15/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
He did not choose...

You converted him to a meaningless life.

I ask you honest questions you chose to ignore.

Your little disclaimer does nothing to hide your self adulation.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

To be honest with you, I don't think it's possible to convert anyone to atheism.

Those who lack faith never really had any to begin with.

You only solidified what he already believed or wanted to believe down deep in his heart.

Hello, and thank you for visiting my thread.

He went through the entire process necessary to be a Catholic because of his mother. Perhaps you are right, and "conversion" is a bit powerful for this occasion, but he has finally stopped identifying himself as a Catholic and started identifying himself as an atheist. This is a definite transition that I feel can be labeled as a 'conversion', although it is not important for me to do so.

I am merely pleased that he has found the self-esteem necessary to do and be whatever makes him happy, instead of being limited by what the Catholic church feels he should be. Since he is already condemned in the eyes of Catholicism, that was a dead end road anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

He did not choose...

You converted him to a meaningless life.

I ask you honest questions you chose to ignore.

Your little disclaimer does nothing to hide your self adulation.

When you ask me a question I feel is appropriate, I will answer. When you make allegations, I will continue to ignore them. Please state your questions respectfully as I reserve the right to ignore badgering, allegations, or insults. Let us handle this discussion respectfully and civilly. After all, I do have a born-again atheist to set an example for. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Congratulations for reinforcing the (false) premise that "atheists are out to convert the whole world to non-belief, and won't be happy until they do!"

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

This ending statement makes it seem like you were boasting...By ending it like this makes your beginning disclaimer seem fake...You may bow now...like we as readers should bow to you oh worthy one of wisdom...

It's called humor. I am capable of taking a matter lightly and perhaps poking fun at my own actions. Perhaps you should invest.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Congratulations for reinforcing the (false) premise that "atheists are out to convert the whole world to non-belief, and won't be happy until they do!"

Were you to ask him face to face, he would tell you: "I made the choice myself." I specifically expressed my discontent with the possibility that I had converted him, and he said that I had only explained it in a meaningful fashion. I did convert him, but I did not have any exchanges with him holding such an intention in mind. If you prefer to stick to your own assumptions in this matter, that is your choice. I did not intend or desire to convert him, only to illuminate him to the realities of the religion he had grown up with and my understanding of my own perspective of reality.

I believe your statement is entirely incorrect. I have already stated and demonstrated numerous times that I respect most religions and followers thereof. And I have made that point to him as well, as I have already stated. To wish to convert the entire world is one step away from being that which atheists would be trying to convert. Such hypocrisy is distasteful to me.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by windword

I believe your statement is entirely incorrect.

Your thread title is my rebuttal.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

edit on 15-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

It's called humor. I am capable of taking a matter lightly and perhaps poking fun at my own actions. Perhaps you should invest.

No thank you I can not afford to invest in your type of humor...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It seems a bit absurd to convince someone to BELIEVE something that atheists claim to not have a BELIEF in.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Here is my respectful question.

Can you prove that God does not exist?

I am sorry if I was a little put off by your thread.

I was a militant Atheist for thirty years.

I could not believe people were so stupid they believed in a God they couldn't even see.

Then something very profound happened to me.

I have spent the last ten years trying to locate everyone I tried to "enlighten".

If I could change one thing I did when I was younger. "Enlightening People" is it.

You or I have no tangible proof either way. I have very deep regrets.

I would just ask you to consider you may have a change of heart.

I have read many of your posts. You are intelligent and respectful.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You couldnt and wouldnt convert me!

I happen to think there is more to life than the crazy idea that everything was created out of a big bang that came from nothing!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hmm to the question "What if you're wrong!"

Well then, GOD should come down and say so. He should be "Look you idiots. Here. I am. Proof."

And be done with it.

but noooo, it has to be this "I only care about those who have faith" type. The sort of god who's upset if you don't worship him and will smite you down or send you to a bad place for eternity.

GOd? Ahhaha.. no.. there is no god.

I just cannot, to this day, work out how some people can simply turn off a functioning part of their brain to believe in, or allow the possibility of, a god that refuses to be anything more than a word in a book, written by men. I mean, there is not even a stone structure, created from nothing, or anything, that says "I was here. Signed, God."

"But he's in the flowers and the trees and the little bunny rabbits!"

Baloney.

OP, you didn't convert someone. You might have simply re-awoken critical thinking. Hopefully, if it was a matter of persuasion.. well he learns critical thinking.

"What if you're wrong." well.. god won't be a part of my afterlife either.

edit on 15-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Hmm to the question "What if you're wrong!"

Well then, GOD should come down and say so. He should be "Look you idiots. Here. I am. Proof."

And be done with it.

but noooo, it has to be this "I only care about those who have faith" type. The sort of god who's upset if you don't worship him and will smite you down or send you to a bad place for eternity.

GOd? Ahhaha.. no.. there is no god.

I just cannot, to this day, work out how some people can simply turn off a functioning part of their brain to believe in, or allow the possibility of, a god that refuses to be anything more than a word in a book, written by men. I mean, there is not even a stone structure, created from nothing, or anything, that says "I was here. Signed, God."

"But he's in the flowers and the trees and the little bunny rabbits!"

Baloney.

OP, you didn't convert someone. You might have simply re-awoken critical thinking. Hopefully, if it was a matter of persuasion.. well he learns critical thinking.

"What if you're wrong." well.. god won't be a part of my afterlife either.

edit on 15-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Yep, what he said.

Also who in their right mind would want to devote themselves to a god, that allows thousands and thousands of innocent children to be raped tortured and murdered every single year?

And hundreds of thousands of innocent children to die EVERY YEAR from famine, terminal diseases, road accidents, natural disasters, neglect etc etc...

Where is your wonderful loving god when this is happening on a daily basis?

Pffft

You are all unnecessary slaves to a mythical creature.

edit on 15/6/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I can see easily converting someone away from an organized religion. Especially if that person is homosexual and the organized religion doesn't approve of their orientation. But I'm wondering how the person went from being Catholic to ... poof ... totally no God. I'm wondering if the person was confused and was thinking that organized religion is the only vehicle for God.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism,
No worries ,God loves you more now than before,because there will come a time of faith,when in your knees you'll pray...for forgiveness.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join