It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonycooper
reply to post by whyamIhere

i dont believe in a god, why would i need one to forgive me? duh.

Just because I disagree is no reason to try to make me look ignorant.

I made a statement...It was not a question.

I really don't care what you believe. I made no personal attack against you.

Go ahead and believe in nothing...Please just try to do it without being rude.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical too. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to sign up in December only to post for the first time 6 months later.

Also, to do a complete 180 from believing in a god to no god at all so fast is a little suspicious too. I may be wrong, but the whole situation is giving off strange vibes in my opinion.

It just doesnt resonate truth and sounds scripted, not that for some an admission of total weakness is not a bad thing, just dangerous when at the hands of a master manipulator. Why trade one "church" for another. Both are equally incapable of being defended or PROVEN. Its all moot; no one wins it just creates more confusion regarding the very personal relationship each of us has with a belief in a God/or NO God. That someone/another human being can MAKE or CAUSE a change in enlightenment for/to another is all WRONG, as its the SAME THING. Deconversion, Conversion--makes no sense at the baseline; shouldnt have to happen at all. This is a play action verbal "who gets it or who swallows the senario".
edit on 17-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Regardless of what the thread may or may not be.. I think the more important question is; "What can we make of it?"

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam

Regardless of what the thread may or may not be.. I think the more important question is; "What can we make of it?"

We are continuing a dialog, adding more pages (all of which ideaforms contributions are interesting). Adding is better than subtracting.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

What you've done is EDUCATED your friend, and UNLOCKED his willingness to think without being condemned for it, which helped him relax somewhat. Still, good on you for helping him open his eyes to the "indoctrination" he had received as a youth, which from the start was a NEGATIVE feedback loop considering his sexual orientation. Fear and self-loathing based on any "religious" upbringing or belief -- whether imposed or 'chosen' before a person truly knows themselves -- is never good.

Yep! I reckon "IT" IS GOOD that someone was able to reprogram him... "AfterInfinity" should be very proud...

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by DazDaKing

Or how about the fact that science now proposes a multi-verse theory? That there is up to an infinite amount of parallel universes? This theory was created solely in light of the fact that changing just one of our fundamental four forces by even 1% means NONE OF THIS universe can happen .

If there is an infinite number of parallel universes, then that means this universe had an infinite amount of chances to happen. Which means, god or no god, there was no way this universe couldn't happen. According to what you just said, every possible variation of those fundamental forces (including an altogether omission of one or more of those forces) has been realized in one or more of those alternate universes.

According to the above, it's entirely feasible that we're just an accident. We just don't know it yet. If you read all of my posts in this thread, you'll find my "random code generator" theory. Random values thrown together infinitely. Somewhere along the way, this universe had to happen with or without intelligent design. But this does not mean that we cannot give our own lives meaning. If you need a god to give yourself meaning as a human being, then I do not envy your approach to reality.

Your random code generator was invented by Hughes Aircraft at IRVINE/ Fullerton CA, moved to Carlsbad. It is a random number generator used to encode information. I happen to know the mavericks involved and actually have one of the prototype 'Chips'.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Yep! I reckon "IT" IS GOOD that someone was able to reprogram him... "AfterInfinity" should be very proud...

See ya,
Milt

The term "reprogram" implies a certain lack of free will in the process. I fail to see where he did not make his own choice.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Would it make you guys feel better if I recorded me and my friend together, on video, explaining how this all happened?

ETA: Never mind. I proposed the idea to him and he declined.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You would call a 'conversionist' of your mind/soul/body a friend; and not a manipulator of your apparent "I AM COMPLETEY AT A LOSS (and open to just about anything in my weakness of WILL to be able to determine for myself). What an admission. Let me guess, you met 'this man' at a gravesite (a couple of years ago) or a soup kitchen as volunteers, or the grocery store YOU asking directions to "PRODUCE". Or AI was wearing a sandwich sign on a street corner declaring "come yea hither I can hypnotise you into believing anything; I work for Food." How many hours (minutes did it take to convert you); what is nature of your friendship and where do you worship atheism now as a formidible force to be reconned with as Group of 2 (in your area). I dont believe a word of your post or sincereity and why you were put up to it.

It just doesnt resonate truth and sounds scripted, not that for some an admission of total weakness is not a bad thing, just dangerous when at the hands of a master manipulator. Why trade one "church" for another. Both are equally incapable of being defended or PROVEN. Its all moot; no one wins it just creates more confusion regarding the very personal relationship each of us has with a belief in a God/or NO God. That someone/another human being can MAKE or CAUSE a change in enlightenment for/to another is all WRONG, as its the SAME THING. Deconversion, Conversion--makes no sense at the baseline; shouldnt have to happen at all. This is a play action verbal "who gets it or who swallows the senario".

reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical too. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to sign up in December only to post for the first time 6 months later.

Also, to do a complete 180 from believing in a god to no god at all so fast is a little suspicious too. I may be wrong, but the whole situation is giving off strange vibes in my opinion.

I suppose skepticism is part of the game. I have nothing to hide, so I'm not worried.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Would it make you guys feel better if I recorded me and my friend together, on video, explaining how this all happened?

ETA: Never mind. I proposed the idea to him and he declined.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I am sure you could convince him...

Sorry, Cheap Shot.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Sorry, Cheap Shot.

Cheap shot from a cheap skeptic.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Sorry, Cheap Shot.

Cheap shot from a cheap skeptic.

What are you saying?

I honestly have tried remain respectful despite our disagreement.

Just trying to lighten things up. I really do apologize if I offended you.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

As you probably realize, using rationality to convince the religious is a difficult task, more-so when they already believe they are being rational.

What gives you the right to "convince" someone that their beliefs are wrong? Are you God?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

What gives you the right to "convince" someone that their beliefs are wrong? Are you God?

See ya,
Milt

What gives the teacher the right to tell you you're wrong? If you believe you are right, even if you are wrong, surely the teacher has no right to disillusion you. You have the right to be wrong, don't you?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

What are you saying?

I honestly have tried remain respectful despite our disagreement.

Just trying to lighten things up. I really do apologize if I offended you.

There are moments when people seem less concerned with having an instructive conversation and more concerned with trying to get someone's goat. You wouldn't be the first in this thread to make a grab for the latter.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by wildtimes

What you've done is EDUCATED your friend, and UNLOCKED his willingness to think without being condemned for it, which helped him relax somewhat. Still, good on you for helping him open his eyes to the "indoctrination" he had received as a youth, which from the start was a NEGATIVE feedback loop considering his sexual orientation. Fear and self-loathing based on any "religious" upbringing or belief -- whether imposed or 'chosen' before a person truly knows themselves -- is never good.

See ya, Milt

Perhaps that education (NOT HAVING TO BE PAID FOR) will engender good things, ALL POSITIVE. Relaxation is my goal, especially for the preditor to not have to eat its victims alive (cleaner kill) The zebra, moose, antilope, squirrel can fight back with firearms (of human construction) they bought out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Run I suppose from indoctrination of any kind, unless it involves hypnosis/a suggestion YOU paid for. Never ever change the will of someone until they reach the age of wisdom, Solomon, bef.900 ME.OE. or loose those teeth first garranteeing they are at least 21. Another age of wisdom/reason 1600 AD 700 hundred years of age would be; Check the teeth first (a good clue, might be missing all of them).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I have read all 19 pages. I find this thread interesting.

I did apologize. Not trying to get anyone's goat.

BTW....How can anybody be wrong on this thread?

None of us know for sure...Can we agree on that?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

See ya,
Milt

What gives the teacher the right to tell you you're wrong? If you believe you are right, even if you are wrong, surely the teacher has no right to disillusion you. You have the right to be wrong, don't you?

The teacher is in a postion of power, it hands out the grades and determines if you graduate. The teacher has the right to be wrong and that is why its a TEACHER and you are the student (that of no consequence to its career). You on the other hand are thwarted from your goal (to graduate) because you had every right to be wrong; and where did that further your ambition; (right equals might equals abject failure because someone else determined your FATE).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

As you probably realize, using rationality to convince the religious is a difficult task, more-so when they already believe they are being rational.

What gives you the right to "convince" someone that their beliefs are wrong? Are you God?See ya,Milt

This wouldnt be God, I can say this with certainty, unless charged as such and has to provide proof of not being so.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

See ya,
Milt

The term "reprogram" implies a certain lack of free will in the process. I fail to see where he did not make his own choice.

What did he dislike about the faith of Pauls, the Roman Catholic Doctrine, what is your knowledge of it to be able to convince/ persuade him into a completly different direction of NO FAITH AT ALL, yet he determined Atheism is not also a faith based doctrine. You have a belief system, same same. One is belief one is non belief, you cannot have one without the other, someone pointed out that for both of you Agnostism would be the better road to travel (not as much percieved hatred in that tilt-a-whirl of indecision, at least the ride ends after 2 minutes).

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join