It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Origen lived at the same time that Irenaeus did. You assumed Justinius was called a church father, he wasn't. At least read something before replying to them.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Explain please what are the natural principles of the universe?

There is only ONE natural principle that counts:
Everything in this Universe is EVOLVING, in some fashion, or another.

Who made the universe?

I don't KNOW that it was "made" by anyone.

Shouldn't you ask that first?

I feel it would better to ask, and answer, a different question first:
Did the Universe really need a "conscious entity" to "make" it?

Why are you so interested in "converting" the "non believers"? You seem to be a bit pushy.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I consider my role in this situation entirely vindicated. Not that I really expected anything different.

All HAIL "AfterInfinity the Ungodly One"! Long live the "Converted One"!

You ASKED for that!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 17-6-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

you would rather be dead as a door nail for eternity?

Well... Having already been "dead as a door nail" for approx. 13 Billion years didn't turn out too bad our first (?) time around, did it? Why should we expect it to be any different the second (?) "time around"?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

My friend used to be Catholic. I myself have never been nor will ever be.

Yeah, me either. That's why I don't consider myself an expert in Catholicism. Or, any other religion. I was, however, married into an Irish Catholic family for 12 yrs. They were an interesting bunch! Does that count?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by colbe

Origen lived at the same time that Irenaeus did. You assumed Justinius was called a church father, he wasn't. At least read something before replying to them.

Irenaeus denounced Reincarnation, Origen supposedly believed in Reincarnation. He was wrong, the Church teaches Reincarnation is NOT true.

The point is and I spoke of it, Irenaeus was an Early Church Father, who had a DIRECT connection to the Apostles. As a youth, Ireneaus was a disciple of Polycarp, Polycarp was a disciple of St. John the beloved Apostle. Polycarp sent Irenaeus to Lyons.

Ireneaus battled early heretics, the Gnostics. New Age is the modern form of Gnosticism. New Age professes the lie of Reincarnation.

Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons, and Father of the Church. (130-202 A.D.)
Origen (185 - 254 A.D)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by colbe

Explain please what are the natural principles of the universe?

There is only ONE natural principle that counts:
Everything in this Universe is EVOLVING, in some fashion, or another.

Who made the universe?

I don't KNOW that it was "made" by anyone.

Shouldn't you ask that first?

I feel it would better to ask, and answer, a different question first:
Did the Universe really need a "conscious entity" to "make" it?

Why are you so interested in "converting" the "non believers"? You seem to be a bit pushy.

See ya,
Milt

Ben,

Everything points to a creator, look how complicated 99.8% of creation is, the universe didn't just happen. And then what? Who keeps it running? Creation, the universe runs by itself....right.

I've shared my conversion/reversion came about because of prophecy, also called "private revelation" so I have a strong faith. All of prophecy, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox keeps shouting out to everyone, time is short, look toward Jesus, find Him if you haven't, get your soul right with God. Read the current messages from Heaven. Bookmark them. www.catholicbinder.com... ft111.com...

The times are getting darker, give your heart to Our Lord, the Father and God the Holy Spirit. We're at the start of the Great Tribulation. Trust God, from now on pray every day, make a habit to repent, confess your serious sins (mortal) to God. Believe God's plan, all the mystical points to the Trinity.

Atheism, to me is so lonely, who could stand it?

God bless you, thanks for your reply,

colbe

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Now you will have a buddy in Hell.

You should be very proud of yourself.

Because, you have no idea if God really exists.

Neither do I...

And if God did exist he would not care if anyone believes he exists based on flawed religions and lack-of-evidence-evidence because he clearly does not care enough to prove it to the thinking man.

Or he does exist and he punishes those who think and cherishes those who dont. In that case I will gladly accept the punishment.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I could see the universe running by itself much more than I could see an infinite life-form being able to. After all, if you doubt our universe- a universe which HAD a beginning and WILL have an ending- then you should surely doubt gods universe; a universe he claims houses a being that has ALWAYS existed and will NEVER end.

Your logic is extremely flawed and narrow minded.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Honestly, I've ignored your replies because your responses have been weak.

I don't recall asking you why you ignored my posts. Did you mistake me for someone that might care?

They're just not worth discussing.

Hell, I'm a "Troll"! Nobody LIKES ME ANYWAY! What makes you feel that I should worry about meeting your standards?

Would you care to know what I think of yours, or do you already have a pretty good idea of what that is?

What made you feel that post was directed at you?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
some atheists are so full or theirselves.

I am neither this or that. I just know: existence is a wonder...That there is ANYTHING is A WONDER.

Nature works perfectly without me understanding how this genius system was created in the first place.

Thats all i know..

Everything is possible

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I did not intend or desire to convert him, only to illuminate him to the realities of the religion he had grown up with and my understanding of my own perspective of reality.

Maybe you would better have used the term "disabused" rather than "converted" to avoid being demonized by the believers on the board and setting their knickers in a twist.
I knew a Catholic gay man who also had been tormented his whole life with fear of hell and a fractured sense of "self". He was a voluntary client approaching it from a "mental health crisis" angle. By DECONSTRUCTING how we BOUGHT INTO things that are not productive for us, we can learn to think differently and buy-out. That's what you helped him do!
In the mental health field that technique is known as "Narrative Therapy."

What you've done is EDUCATED your friend, and UNLOCKED his willingness to think without being condemned for it, which helped him relax somewhat. Still, good on you for helping him open his eyes to the "indoctrination" he had received as a youth, which from the start was a NEGATIVE feedback loop considering his sexual orientation. Fear and self-loathing based on any "religious" upbringing or belief -- whether imposed or 'chosen' before a person truly knows themselves -- is never good.

I'd expect, though, unless he has formidable and unwavering faith in his own mind and intelligence, some second-thought processes, backsliding, and depression even while he celebrates a new-found creative license to be himself.

You might point him to some of the supportive site for those who have turned away from faith for whatever reason such as Recovering from Religion. He is certainly not alone, and I'm sure he'll need support - from you and wherever else he can get it.
for helping spread the humanitarian word and being available for your friends to discuss their worries and concerns safely and openly.

S/F

edit on 17-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Excellent post wild

Humanity FTW!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
There IS a GOD, and he (it) is YOU. Our soul's are capable of any and all things. This was the message Jesus was trying to say but it's been changed, manipulated over the past several thousand years, to the benefit of certain men. The Powers at Be saw the power in religion and changed it to meet their needs. It think if you look at all the big organized religions, they all have the same under pinnings, namely, it's up to you, the individual, to "see" what's good and to pursue it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Humanity FTW!

Hiya, boymonkey. Thanks - I had no idea I'd be on page 15 ----
interesting thread, I missed it before today.

P.S. I'm glad you reconsidered "back for one day only" and have joined us all again in sorting out this kerfuffle!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Broke my foot camping so Iam housebound

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Atheism, to me is so lonely, who could stand it?

I can't say that I'm really that lonely. Quite the opposite, actually. I don't need a god to feel like I'm worth something.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Wild! I missed you! It's been a while since we've exchanged directly. Thank you for the support, and yes, it was very close to what you've described. Even if he didn't proclaim himself to be a Catholic, he touted the education and invested in the materials. But when I explained it all to him, he said that I "pieced it together" for him in a way that made sense. I guess you could say I'm the magnifying glass that allowed him to see everything clearly. But in the end, he made the leap himself. I never encouraged him to become an atheist, only to keep an open mind.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Good thread. I would've taken it a step further and told him to leave religion altogether, but that's just me.

"Atheism is defined as lack of belief in any deity. That's as far as the term goes."

I'd hate to say you were lying to this man, but maybe you can share a little proof of this for those that can't find this definition in any dictionary or encyclopedia. It usually requires a little dishonesty to convert one to our own way of thinking, so this is an understandable move on your part, but I'm hoping that you're not lying to yourself as well.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join