It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Did you happen to miss the moderator warning a couple of pages back? I am simply reminding the participants of that moderators warning to all of us.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Oh, sorry. I must have missed it. My bad.

ETA: I looked and can't seem to find it. Oh well.
edit on 16-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Here, now you don't have any more false excuses

reply to post by kosmicjack

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

How hard could it be to convert someone from one dumb faith based belief to another dumb faith based belief. Convert them to someone that admits they don't know why we exist and you will be doing everyone a favor. When you settle on an answer to a question you can't possible know the answer to, you end the quest for the real answer and learning and researching suffer.

Is that not the same thing, convince someone of an unknowable or convince someone else of the same unknowable as TRUTHS? Those two things would be "to believe in God or not to believe in God" Not possible because NIETHER IS THIS REALITY it remains the same shell game of NEVER GETTING THE RIGHT answer, why, because that answer was not posited in the first place (only the question and it is not automatically answered to any of you). Anyone that seeks truth outside of itself, its own known intrinsic truths is not its own master; but someone elses beast used to ferry about IT (the thing that now OWNs you) Burdens of Guilt, Pride and Fear regarding your unknowable fate and destiny will consume you. Its a game let it go.
edit on 16-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Thanks for pointing me to it. I never doubted you by the way, I just couldn't find it.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

I disagree. I feel it changes our approach to life and how we regard ourselves as human beings.
edit on 16-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I disagree. I feel it changes our approach to life and how we regard ourselves as human beings.

Could you be more specific, Im not sure which post you are responding to of mine. Glossamer wings now, if I dont have context I cant respond adequately. I quote you in order to answer specifics you might require, some/same courtesy is appreciated.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Both, but GogoVic's more than yours. You are still welcome to share your insights regarding my post.

What I meant was that my atheistic viewpoint encourages us to accept ourselves for both who and what we are, enabling us to embrace the opportunities as presented by our very nature rather than fighting ourselves because of our supposed imperfections. This bolsters our understanding of ourselves as human beings and fosters the development of the future of our race and world.

my friend is rather excited to recognize such an opportunity.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Afterinfinity I will convert you to Christianity.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Both, but GogoVic's more than yours. You are still welcome to share your insights regarding my post.
What I meant was that my atheistic viewpoint encourages us to accept ourselves for both who and what we are, enabling us to embrace the opportunities as presented by our very nature rather than fighting ourselves because of our supposed imperfections. This bolsters our understanding of ourselves as human beings and fosters the development of the future of our race and world. my friend is rather excited to recognize such an opportunity

Well its observed that Gkod really does not 'like' us (where is it); (its plain speaking and so vocal yet so quiet in its ABSENCE of proclaiming itself). I am all about IAM, there is no one out there to scapegoat me, help me other than my will to live my life. That involves as you say a sense of survival, (not dying). I do not like or agree with humans being saddled with 'origininal sin' as that is a hateful and an unsubstanciated revelation. We are beings that are so creative and brilliant; who wants to tap that energy or thwart or enslave it? Well you know what those forces are; the posers, the religious componant. Capitalize upon the innocent and their good intentions, if you can transmute the Pos to Neg neg to pos and nuetalize it (they are not aware of it) results in change because it becomes a NEw CreaTive Force. Beyond a belief system is the other Elephant in the ROOM. For all of us and I ask sincerely, the feeling of abandonment (atheism), the need to belong (religious affiliation), agnostism (I have no idea where I fit or what I am). Sense of Humor needed Always because if one believed in any of them RATHER THAN YOURSELF DETERMINATION youd be the next ventriquist for GODSPEAK.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Its all a Joke, its just a remembering process of your souls growth. You know this you just do not remember. I spell God at times Gkod, because its a number attached to letters thing the K cancels the idea of the word, sometimes it must be done. Give not any creed where/when the Moniker of God is entirely undeserved. There is a difference in the utterance whether oral or written.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Wow Congratulations. OP so now what makes you different than a Catholic Missionary? Or a Priest? Why should he listen to you vs. the Pope or a priest?

There is no evidence for or against the existence of God and an afterlife. So those who preach uncertainty are the ones we should be listening to

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

" Afterinfinity I will convert you to Christianity."

With all due respect, I would not advise such a gross waste of time.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

The difference you ask? I support the development of self esteem and self empowerment. I support the human ability to seize our own destiny with our creative power invested in ourselves. I believe we are more than just what any would-be deity declares us to be. I believe we have the power to be anything or do anything that makes us happy. I think that amounts to a lot of differences between me and any Catholic representative.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

the law of entropy

That's the kind of thinking I like!

If you are, basically, thinking of "order decaying into randomness":
I've had enough time to think about that for a bit, and I could make a pretty strong argument to support either end, of that argument.

I am truly interested in reading why you feel that is evidence that supports the "no God" idea, AND, tends to refute the idea that there MIGHT be a "God" at the same time.

the virtues and pursuits and perceptions that results from belief in such a deity. There's your reason. Or mine rather.

That is the exact issue that tends to "ruffle my feathers" in regard to MANY atheists:
You didn't even mention "God", or even a lack of "God", in your "reason". Your "reason" is ONLY about silencing those that you disagree with.

I feel that you were wrong to have "converted" your friend! You should have only answered any questions he may have had, and let him make his own mind up, without your influence.

I REALLY DO appreciate your honesty, AND your thought!
and a star

See ya,
Milt
edit on 16-6-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Q: Then who or what do you give the credit for you being able to do all that?

Sincere

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by colbe

Reincarnation is not true............

Pshaw! Early Catholic church fathers disagreed with you.

Nowadays, there is little doubt that early Christians gave more credence to the concept of rebirth than was later the case. The main figure responsible for this change was no churchman but an ambitious, worldly and powerful figure Emperor Justinius. In the year 553, quite independently of the Pope, Justinius had the teachings of the church father Origen (185-253) banned by a synod. Origen had spoken out in unmistakable terms on the question of the repeated incarnations of the soul:

"Each soul enters the world strengthened by the victories or weakened by the defects of its past lives. Its place in this world is determined by past virtues and shortcomings." De Principalis.

"Is it not more in accordance with common sense that every soul for reasons unknown — I speak in accordance with the opinions of Pythagoras, Plato and Empedokles — enters the body influenced by its past deeds? The soul has a body at its disposal for a certain period of time which, due to its changeable condition, eventually is no longer suitable for the soul, whereupon it changes that body for another." Contra Celsum."

www.share-international.org...

edit on 16-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

Who in authority states Emperor Justinius is a Church Father? No one. And your source is scary windword. Share International's home page speaks of Benjamin Creme, Creme is a spokesman for the anti-Christ. Yikes!!!

Irenaeus was a student of Polcyarp. Polycarp was a student of John the beloved Apostle.

Read what Irenaeus says about past lives and about Plato. Irenaeus shows you Reincarnation is nonsense.

"We may undermine [the Hellenists’] doctrine as to transmigration from body to body by this fact—that souls remember nothing whatever of the events which took place in their previous states of existence. For if they were sent forth with this object, that they should have experience of every kind of action, they must of necessity retain a remembrance of those things which have been previously accomplished, that they might fill up those in which they were still deficient, and not by always hovering, without intermission, through the same pursuits, spend their labor wretchedly in vain. . . . With reference to these objections, Plato . . . attempted no kind of proof, but simply replied dogmatically that when souls enter into this life they are caused to drink of oblivion by that demon who watches their entrance, before they effect an entrance into the bodies. It escaped him that he fell into another, greater perplexity. For if the cup of oblivion, after it has been drunk, can obliterate the memory of all the deeds that have been done, how, O Plato, do you obtain the knowledge of this fact . . . ?"

(Against Heresies 2:33:1–2 [A.D. 189])

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

This shows that you do not read what people post and simply jump the gun the moment you "think" you have found something to disprove.

The quote says nothing about Justinius being a church father. If you had actually read the quote, you would have seen that the teachings on reincarnation were by the church father Origen. Justinius is the one who called those teachings heretical, evidence that Roman politics greatly influenced the Christianity we have today.

At least read before making a fool of yourself.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

reply to post by piequal3because14

" Afterinfinity I will convert you to Christianity."

With all due respect, I would not advise such a gross waste of time.

Then why did you take the time to start a thread to brag about leading a Catholic away from God?

How come so many here ignore, reject Christ? I'll post what Our Lord said again.

Matthew 22:36-37
Master, which is the GREATEST commandment in the law? [37] Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by colbe

This shows that you do not read what people post and simply jump the gun the moment you "think" you have found something to disprove.

The quote says nothing about Justinius being a church father. If you had actually read the quote, you would have seen that the teachings on reincarnation were by the church father Origen. Justinius is the one who called those teachings heretical, evidence that Roman politics greatly influenced the Christianity we have today.

At least read before making a fool of yourself.

All you ever do is insult me, doesn't help you sell mocking God and the faith. Again...

Irenaeus debunks reincarnation long before the 6th century. The teachings of Christ have been passed down. John knew Our Lord, Polycarp was a student of John. Irenaeus was a student of Polycarp.

The Church teaches Reincarnation is a lie. Look it up, we can know.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join