It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
"Atheism is defined as lack of belief in any deity. That's as far as the term goes."

What is a deity?

a being with infinite magical powers?
infinite except for a couple?
partially infinite powers?
140 magical powers?
139 magical powers?
33 magical powers?
7 magical powers?
never dies?
a really super guy?

I lack a belief about one because I have no idea what one is.

To be able to define it and then deny it exists and torment those you see as the opposition - is contra-belief, and in no way constitutes a 'lack of' belief.

When one has a lack of belief you find that you lack animosity or manipulative desires towards either god believers or atheists. Each is OK,
until either one admits trying to "convert ??? the other (wtf??)" or starts tearing into the other for no reason other than to pick a fight.

These are foreign concepts to a 'lack of' mindset, and are whole gale flag alerts of a religion in the works.

edit on 15-6-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm thinking your friend has rejected Catholicism outright then in turn he also rejected his belief in God (YHWH). He probably did awhile ago, but just needed someone to help him admit that he did and come to grips with it.

Out of curiosity...

Do you believe that there are extraterrestrial lifeforms somewhere out there?

Do you believe that humans have a conscious?

Do you believe if a tree falls in the forest it makes a sound; even if no one is around to hear it?

Do you believe in the Big Bang theory?

Do you believe in evolution?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinty,

If you choose not to respond to this, I'll understand. If you want to by U2U, that's fine too.

What were you thinking when you posted this thread? What was your motivation? What was in your heart when you decided you had to tell us about your friend?

Did you want to report a personal triumph? Were you proud of your accomplishment? Did you want to spit in the eye of the Church, or defeat it in some way?

What was your spirit saying when you started the thread?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
You all,

Everyone who doubts, rejects disbelieves just say a prayer, ask God to help you believe. He will grant your prayer.

I couldn't take life if there wasn't God. Who would watch over me? Who would truly love me? What do I say to my two children if there is no God?

There would be no reason for me live if the God I know of doesn't exit. I would not want to go on.

I love the God I know and read about, He is all wise and perfectly simple at the same time. And I like His promises.

Say that prayer from your heart, please....

colbe

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe
You all,

Everyone who doubts, rejects disbelieves just say a prayer, ask God to help you believe. He will grant your prayer.

I couldn't take life if there wasn't God. Who would watch over me? Who would truly love me? What do I say to my two children if there is no God?

There would be no reason for me live if the God I know of doesn't exit. I would not want to go on.

I love the God I know and read about, He is all wise and perfectly simple at the same time. And I like His promises.

Say that prayer from your heart, please....

colbe

I did not preview my words, I hit reply and might of missed it anyway. I used a double negative. You know
what I meant, you can't live without God. And who, what you think about?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

So now I'm a little concerned about what the future may hold for the emotional stability of my friend.

AfterInfinity,
Your friend is on a journey, he can now convert to any faith the atheist or any religious faith that looks good to him. He is probably prime candidate for an Akragon type belief system.

I'm pleased you have concern for him, I hope you followthrough. You can keep him your friend by going on this journey with him, and not being a jerk, making him feel guilty or stupid for believing in one idea over the other.

I have seen many chrstian conversions, I would assume much of the same emotional drama accompanies any faith conversion, including your friends first conversion to being a catholic.

In a conversion, there is something called "coming down the mountain." It's when the rush of making such a dramatic shift lets up. The reality of the shift sets in, like telling the family and friends. The people who help you convert are not around and your left with your own will power and new born faith. It's in this critical time when doubt surfaces. One needs accountability, and an outlet to ask questions without being persecuted, and resources for research.

There are two type of conversions, one of the heart and one of the mind. You need both to have a strong faith. A conversion of just the heart is easily swayed by countering arguments, they are unable to provide strong answers as to why they believe. A conversion of the mind is swayed by the illusion of freedom that is displayed by unbelievers. They look so happy, so much in contrast to their legalistic mindset. They can't understand why they have to obey all these rules.

Perhaps it may be viewed as a test of sorts that my friend is now viewing this thread in its entirety.

Friend,
if your reading, I am a Christian. I am not a theologian and I'm not Mother Teresa, yet I feel the love of God flow through me, as if I was one of his children. AfterInfinity has started you in a process with some fun learning ahead and trials. The freedom you see advertised by the atheist is not all its cracked up to be, look at how many people are searching on this sight, look at the endless questions and moral dilemmas that they struggle with. Sadness is unavoidable, dealing with it is possible through the strength of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. I'm broke with 3 kids and moving back home with my parents. I was never promised easy living once I became a Christian. I lean on the Lord in these hard times. I know Joy can be found in the darkness, not a fleeting joy that leaves you with more questions, but an eternal joy based on a love that is unchanging, unconditional.

I pray that God will protect you on your journey, it will be fun learning more about the different faiths, that's why I am here. You will meet all sorts of interesting people, just remember to use your instincts, test everything. Question everything to learn not to prove a point.

Perhaps your journey will bring you back to a better understanding of Gods love for you.

Recommend reading:
Blue Like Jazz, Don Miller
Read the Word
edit on 16-6-2013 by Observationalist because: Grammar

edit on 16-6-2013 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observationalist

So now I'm a little concerned about what the future may hold for the emotional stability of my friend.

AfterInfinity,
Your friend is on a journey, he can now convert to any faith the atheist or any religious faith that looks good to him. He is probably prime candidate for an Akragon type belief system.

I'm pleased you have concern for him, I hope you followthrough. You can keep him your friend by going on this journey with him, and not being a jerk, making him feel guilty or stupid for believing in one idea over the other.

I have seen many chrstian conversions, I would assume much of the same emotional drama accompanies any faith conversion, including your friends first conversion to being a catholic.

In a conversion, there is something called "coming down the mountain." It's when the rush of making such a dramatic shift lets up. The reality of the shift sets in, like telling the family and friends. The people who help you convert are not around and your left with your own will power and new born faith. It's in this critical time when doubt surfaces. One needs accountability, and an outlet to ask questions without being persecuted, and resources for research.

There are two type of conversions, one of the heart and one of the mind. You need both to have a strong faith. A conversion of just the heart is easily swayed by countering arguments, they are unable to provide strong answers as to why they believe. A conversion of the mind is swayed by the illusion of freedom that is displayed by unbelievers. They look so happy, so much in contrast to their legalistic mindset. They can't understand why they have to obey all these rules.

Perhaps it may be viewed as a test of sorts that my friend is now viewing this thread in its entirety.

Friend,
if your reading, I am a Christian. I am not a theologian and I'm not Mother Teresa, yet I feel the love of God flow through me, as if I was one of his children. AfterInfinity has started you in a process with some fun learning ahead and trials. The freedom you see advertised by the atheist is not all its cracked up to be, look at how many people are searching on this sight, look at the endless questions and moral dilemmas that they struggle with. Sadness is unavoidable, dealing with it is possible through the strength of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. I'm broke with 3 kids and moving back home with my parents. I was never promised easy living once I became a Christian. I lean on the Lord in these hard times. I know Joy can be found in the darkness, not a fleeting joy that leaves you with more questions, but an eternal joy based on a love that is unchanging, unconditional.

I pray that God will protect you on your journey, it will be fun learning more about the different faiths, that's why I am here. You will meet all sorts of interesting people, just remember to use your instincts, test everything. Question everything to learn not to prove a point.

Perhaps your journey will bring you back to a better understanding of Gods love for you.

Recommend reading:
Blue Like Jazz, Don Miller[/ur

[url=http://pastormatttague.com/tag/bible/]Read the Word

edit on 16-6-2013 by Observationalist because: Grammar

edit on 16-6-2013 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

Don't get down, it is the times, oh are they prophesied to get worse, we are all going into the Great Tribulation.

God brings good out of our crosses. Catholics refer to it as redemptive suffering. You can offer the smallest suffering to God in prayer and He can use it to save souls. Why so many saints suffered so and kept their joy.

One of our children lives with us why she goes to graduate school. She could never afford living on her own. She is not in the basement but upstairs, the air-conditioning is never even in our house. She doesn't complain.

She is grateful. Give your parents a hug for me, I am sure this gives them purpose.

God bless you Observationalist,

colbe

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Believe in God and all the people he gives you to help you get to Heaven. Jesus gave His mother to EVERYONE from the Cross in his last words. You do not have to be Catholic to speak to Mary.

This is God's plan.

Mary's recent message given to a seer, actually every Sunday and Wednesday.

The seer lives in a small town east of St. Louis, Pana, Illinois. People meet at a grotto near the Pana hospital to pray the rosary. Anyone can pray the rosary, there is much grace given when you pray it.

Offer to Mary in a prayer, give Our Lord's mother loved ones, acquaintances you know are far from God.

She will help them.

+ + +

"MY PRECIOUS LITTLE CHILDREN,

MANY OF YOU EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTIES AND HAVE DIFFICULTIES WITH FEAR AND ANXIETIES. LISTEN TO MY WORDS AND PRAY. YOU HAVE THE PROMISE OF THE MOTHER OF GOD TO HOLD YOU AND ALL THOSE YOU LOVE WITH PRIORITY. TRUST ME. WITH GOD'S GRACE I SHALL TOUCH ALL THOSE YOU FEAR FOR AND THEY SHALL BE FILLED WITH HOPE. I SAY TO YOU, DO NOT BECOME DISTURBED BY WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ASKED TO BEAR, LOOK AT THE WORLD. IT¹S CONDITION IS FAR WORSE THAN ANY AND ALL THAT BESETS YOU. PRAY CHILDREN. I ASSURE YOU, I HAVE OPENED MY HEART TO RECEIVE THEM. TRUST IN THIS MOTHER AND MOST ESPECIALLY IN THE POWER OF GOD....

LET PEACE FILL YOU AS YOU PRAISE AND THANK GOD. MY CHILDREN DO THIS NOW AND FOREVER.

message to Sharon Fitzpatrick

Pana, June 12th, 2013

www.petalsfromheaven.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
An atheist evangelist, so its still not a religion.

Well done, it proves that atheism has its own gospel and missionaries.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Did you not see the article proving him to be a fraud? Or are you just ignoring it?

Here is Gemma, and in her own words she began to see before meeting Pio (listen at about 40 seconds on).

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

jigger, I answer your question to show proof by ONE man, God exists and you respond with A single atheist's comment to say no. But what of the evidence, science tested reports over the years? All those doctors and scientists were wrong?

First, I've been polite, but I must now tell you that my personal information is off limits. I will tell you that I have been divorced for 25 years, was raised a catholic and entertained the bible for a few years. That's it. No more about me.

Now, as I have shown, this Pio has been discovered a fraud that doused himself in cologne and wore gloves to show that his hands weren't damaged in any way. Then I found several accounts of Gemma admitting that she could see before ever meeting this man.

Further, all accounts of this so-called miracle are on religious sites, and not ONE medical journal site.

This is why atheists insist on proof by amputee. The miraculous replacement of a lost limb is the ONLY irrefutable event. A few pics of a man with no arm, a medical report of how he lost it, and images of him with the new limb.

Does your god not like amputees? There are 1.7 million amputees living in the U.S. alone. Adjust that for the entire world and let's just say that it's a miracle that none of these have experienced a miracle!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I can't remember my conversion. It was painful, I must admit, but I couldn't pinpoint an exact event for when I was defrocked. Could be a gradual transition.

PROOF this, PROOF that. Meh! It is because of this that I thoroughly believe that I am AGNOSTIC because honestly, I don't give a farthing what proofs they've got. Imma scared of your cruel deity. But in the same breath, who's cooler, the one with nails in his hands or the one with the hammer. And so the cooler father too, both called "Almighty Father". Imma scared we're all alone in this universe; orphaned and brotherless. With this fear, should I just suck up to the glorified snake oil salesmen called ministers, spiritual leaders, imam, rabbi, brothers and fathers? Or should I brush the fear off and stand up like a man, face my fear and be better for it? Perhaps being alone SUCKS but being a fool is worse.

Meh?!?!... I don't give a farthing anymore.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Attention

Please direct your comments to the topic of discussion, a religious conversion, and refrain from personal barbs, judgments or condemnation. Remember as well that sometimes it's just better to politely agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

How hard could it be to convert someone from one dumb faith based belief to another dumb faith based belief. Convert them to someone that admits they don't know why we exist and you will be doing everyone a favor. When you settle on an answer to a question you can't possible know the answer to, you end the quest for the real answer and learning and researching suffer.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I have asked you many times in the past what makes you so sure your brand of religion and God is the right one when most people on earth do not follow it and you have not answered me so please do.
Also most people do not follow your brand so what happens to them?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I am not surprised you could mess up a Catholic's thinking because they don't really study their bibles and their faith is not really (in the majority of cases) grounded on the word revealed in truth, but on doctrine adhered to by their followers.

I was born and raised Catholic and always had a love for God and spiritual things, but it was not until I attended a spirit filled Lutheran Church in Jacksonville Florida that my life and understanding changed. After attending a folk mass, my friend who to me lived a life of loving others gave me a book called, "Lessons from a sheep dog" by Phillip Keller and 2 bibles! One was an Open Bible and the other an NIV study bible. I read the book and for the first time truly felt like I knew Messiah, and not just believed in him. From that I had a hunger for more and I read the bible cover to cover in less than a month and then went on to study it in it's original languages for another eight years for many hours a day.

As a Catholic, you don't take your bible to church, you are not encouraged to read it beyond the Epistles printed out for you and listen to the sermon the priest gives. Most Catholics have no idea beyond the classic lessons what the bible says, so it's very easy to trip them up. If your faith is not grounded and rooted in biblical truth then it's like building a house on sand or trying to plant crops on rocky soil as Jesus / Yeshua taught. Your foundation is weak and so the devil can come in and snatch it away or it can starve for lack of proper soil / truth. I daresay, a true bible believer could just as easily have loved your friend and shared that truth and with a heart already leaning towards God he would have become a faith believer and not just a head believer.

Either way, we have the millennium to sort it all out, thank God!
edit on 16-6-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Well, I guess it's a good thing no one convince you your god doesn't exist.

I guess you don't think your 2 children "truly" love you? You must not have a very good relationship with them if not.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Unless YHWH was never a god, but something else entirely...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Dear Charles, your answer lies in almost every post I have put in this thread. Review all of my posts and you will have your answer. Your interpretation, however, is your own.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
That was a rather strange way of committing suicide Afterinfinity.

You should invite your so called friend to ATS for a personal testimony.

Pics or it didn't happen. This still is ATS, no?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join