Ulster Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (USPCA) stunned by organised cock fighting

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Cockfighting, a practice that has been illegal for almost 200 years, is still going on in parts of Ireland….

The fights take place regularly at clandestine venues known only to a network of individuals who gather to watch birds fight, sometimes to death. Men were filmed setting birds on each other in bloody contests.

At one site last weekend, about 60 people, some of them children, were gathered around a makeshift ring in County Monaghan about five miles from Middletown in County Armagh.

On another occasion, both birds seemed to survive. In another earlier encounter one of the birds was lifted, apparently lifeless, from the ring. Men were filmed setting birds on each other, these big events in the cockfighting world are known as derbies.

The birds are armed with metal spurs which can inflict horrific injuries on their opponents

On St Patrick's Day this year, another meeting took place just south of the border. Cars, vans and hatchbacks transported the birds in cages where they are penned before being agitated to fight. Again birds died in the ring. Again children were there. A young boy was pictured taking care of one of the birds that survived.

I remember the travelling gypsies when I was a kid in England, they used to hold both dog and cock fights in a local field not far from where I used to live. I used to find it really appalling and couldn't understand why they did it, but obviously now I am older it is all about wagers and betting on the winning bird or dog...

I believe that the Ulster Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (USPCA) should really do something about this terrible act and start to actually prosecute people before it starts to get more and more out of hand, it is totally disgusting…

Short video
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Just logged in to say I read this yesterday or the day before as well.

I don't support this either, but at the end of the day I don't really see how it is much different than Boxing, MMA or even horse racing.

Jockeys race horses everyday of the week, and horses lives are it risk from it every single race; however since it's accepted by punters, people tend to overlook these risks to the horses because there is ALOT of money going to the bookers/bookmakers.

I just want to point out the double standards/hypocrisy set by the RSPCA and other networks' who condemn what they view as cruelty to one animal but not another.

Humans need to stop their dominance and domestication over animals. Not that I am against animal ownership, but sometimes I feel saddened to see dogs sleeping in cages and having to pee, poop and eat when humans decide they're hungry.

Chip.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
you cant prosecute a gypsy unless you plan to hold them in custody for the duration of their trial most cases gypsys stay silent so unless they are bang to rights the longest the pólice can hold 1 without charge is 72 hrs they dont have any id or addresses so theres no way to bail them it´s very hard to make charges stick to a gypsy and not only that even if you did the first light of day they experiance they will dissappear and pólice know its a massive waste of resources trying to find them again dog and cock fights are part of gypsy history just like nicking your washing off your line there isn´t much the law can do to stop it because it just doesn´t

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mykingdomforthetruth

If there is no way to bail them, then keep them in jail until the trial. Why let one minority make a mockery of justice, if you are not going to grant the same to everyone who comes to trial?

new topics

join