It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook reveals user data requests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Welcome back Rod

Hope the week was fun,

*Thinks* Did I lock Rod's door when I left ? And where the hell did I leave that cadaver

Cody

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The main post and thing i have read in some of the replies (shopping card) are the reasons i dont put my real name on anything. It helps a lot when trying to avoid strange situations such as Scammer phone calls, which in turn allows me to be alert immediately and have a little fun playing games with them when they call or message. I dont feel that any of the social stuff, email, forums and yes even shopping cards have any actual reason to have my real name and date of birth. That information should not help you complete a merchant transaction/ provide service with me in any way.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Agreed, beezzer. While what Facebook released was information about what it gives to the government in regards to specific user data, it says nothing on what kind of metadata is being provided to the US government. Facebook is technically less of a service and more of an information collection corporation than anything else. How else does a "free service" such as Facebook or Google provide for its founders/owners to become billionaires virtually overnight? Advertising would be one revenue stream but the sale of information would be probably the most lucrative one as, like you said, this metadata would allow for trending and the adaptation of prediction models in order to stay "one step ahead of the game" as well as a venue to control public conversation. I noted quite a few instances, during the Occupy movement, where information was being blocked from feeds or even outright censored ("content unavailable"). Control the discourse, control the outcome.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by Rodinus

Welcome back Rod

Hope the week was fun,

*Thinks* Did I lock Rod's door when I left ? And where the hell did I leave that cadaver

Cody

Thanks Cody,

Good to be back after a hard weeks work sweltering it out in Barcelona!

I found the dead Aardvark behind the sofa but the dogs have managed to get rid of the evidence, would you like me to send you the leopardskin leotard back in the post?

Catch up with you during the week as have loads of stuff still to unpack.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Nah leave it there

I'll pick it up when I come visit. If you could wash the blood off I'd appreciate it though

Oh and your gerbil might need to see a shrink

Cody

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Nah leave it there

I'll pick it up when I come visit. If you could wash the blood off I'd appreciate it though

Oh and your gerbil might need to see a shrink

Cody

Erm... actually, we need to talk seriously about the gerbil... poor little thing was cowering in the corner of his cage in fright surrounded by shredded pieces of sellotape and crushed cardboard toilet roll innards!!??

And blummin heck!!! i have just visited my wine cellar...!!!???... not to mention my secret stash of turps and white spirits in the garden shed at the bottom of the garden which has mysteriously disappeared!

What am i going to drink for Fathers day now?... Humph*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

This is why I don't get on Facebook! When Facebook got big, you know the CIA was jumping for joy. It's was like a wish fulfilled that 250 million people post on the Internet what they are doing every freaking minute of the day! People post pictures, comments, like other pages, shop and play games all for the world to see. So are we really surprised the CIA wants a piece of this pie? Yes 19,000 requests are not that much compared to the 250 million, but are these really bad guys they are watching or groups that speak out against govt, etc?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Key word*Voluntary...I think that is why our governments snoopiness does not really bother me, because I chose to be on facebook it was my own decision therefore come what may its my responsibility to regard my account with the knowledge that it is a public forum, and I have some very square relatives in my family, I actually fear them more than the Government...
My facebook page is loaded with recipe's and family pics of dull vacations and the run of the mill DIY crafts and gardening...Even though ATS is a public forum I am able to let my hair down and be myself, but have anonymity with my stage name. It is strange though to be living in this Orsen Welle's Big Brother Times...The thing that does bother me is that all these invasions of privacy is like allowing the camel's head into the tent in a sand storm.( If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow.)
edit on (6/15/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
They are simply playing word games with what they are releasing. They got request from regular law enforcement offices for the data they wanted. But the NSA already has the info and does not release it to other organizations below them. So yes they got request for data. But they also gave it all away freely to another organization within the US government who have a letter that says you may never speak about our deal called NSA letters.

And how about that pesky little fact about Facebook they can't deny.

facebook.com...

# Notice: if you would like to crawl Facebook you can # contact us here: www.facebook.com... # to apply for white listing. Our general terms are available # at www.facebook.com...

www.facebook.com...

Date of Last Revision: April 15th, 2010 Automated Data Collection Terms 1. These terms govern your collection of data from Facebook through automated means, such as through harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers ("Automated Data Collection"), as well as your use of that data. 2. You will not engage in Automated Data Collection without Facebook's express written permission. 3. By obtaining permission to engage in Automated Data Collection you agree to abide by these Automated Data Collection Terms, which incorporate by reference the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. 4. You agree that your use of data you collect through Automated Data Collection will be confined solely to search indexing for display on the Internet unless granted separate approval by Facebook for alternative usage and display on the Internet. 5. You agree that you will not sell any data collected through, or derived from data collected through, Automated Data Collection. 6. You agree that you will not transfer data collected through Automated Data Collection in aggregated or bulk form. 7. You agree that you will destroy all data you have collected through Automated Data Collection upon Facebook's written request and that you will certify such destruction under penalty of perjury. 8. You agree that Facebook may revoke any permission granted at anytime for any reason and you agree to immediately cease collection and use of data collected through Automated Data Collection on notice of such revocation. 9. You agree to provide an accounting of all uses of data collected through Automated Data Collection within ten (10) days of your receipt of Facebook's request for such an accounting. 10. You agree that you will not circumvent any measures implemented by Facebook to prevent violations of these terms. 11. You agree that you will not violate the restrictions in any robot exclusion header. 12. You agree that you will only use your own true IP address/useragent identity and will not mask your services under the IP address/useragent string of another service. 13. You agree that you will not transfer any approved IP address or useragent to any party without Facebook's express written consent. 14. You agree that any violation of these terms may result in your immediate ban from all Facebook websites, products and services. You acknowledge and agree that a breach or threatened breach of these terms would cause irreparable injury, that money damages would be an inadequate remedy, and that Facebook shall be entitled to temporary and permanent injunctive relief, without the posting of any bond or other security, to restrain you or anyone acting on your behalf, from such breach or threatened breach. Nothing herein shall be construed as preventing Facebook from pursuing any and all remedies available to it, including the recovery of money damages. 15. Nothing herein shall be construed to confer any grant to, or license of, any intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, by implication, or otherwise. Clicking here will take you to an application form to apply for permission to engage in Automated Data Collection pursuant to these Automated Data Collection Terms.

They let pople do it and there own website says they do. Want to sign up? www.facebook.com...
edit on 15-6-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

This has pretty much be stated in other articles where the secret department within the NSA is discussed. I think it's called "Special Requested Access" or something like that. The understanding is that this top-secret group deliberately targets the secure systems of governments, corporations and individuals to find a way in and gather data.
reply to post by Rocker2013

Could you point in direction of said articles google didn't come up with anything relevant, or at least I missed it.

Thanks
Cody

Hey, I found out the name - "Tailored Access Operations"
It's apparently an ultra-secret group within the NSA.
I've been trying to find the link where I read about it but I can't seem to find it on the Guardian site, which is where I'm sure I read about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Facebook reveals user data requests

t.news.uk.msn.com

Facebook received up to 10,000 requests from the US government for user data in the second half of last year, the company has revealed.

It said that after a week of negotiations with US security officials, the company is allowed to make new revelations about government orders for user data.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nbcnews.com
www.bloomberg.com
news.yahoo.com

It's funny how those news (as I have also seen today on the usual sites like CNN etc.) IMPLIES that those requests by the NSA have anything to do with PRISM.

In my opinion, this "disclosure" does not have the slightest to do with PRISM...the entire news is a distraction and attempt to confuse the already rather "not so educated" public, making them believe that the data volume received by the NSA (including those gotten via PRISM) is only 10.000 "whatever units" per year.

Those requests are not even the issue here.

The issue here is the PRISM "potential terrorist profiling" data which consists of millions (probably ALL) data off Google, facebook etc. which the three letter agencies use to data mine, predict patterns or to find potential terrorists.

Think of a giant database which contains YOUR, mine and anyone's data and activities on social media, email and so forth. The recent leak has to do with THAT and the immense, dangerous potential such data-mining has, including the smart way how the data is interlinked (Google, facebook, MS, etc..etc)...and NOT the very uninteresting few thousands official requests by NSA which google or facebook receives.

Those "news" are a total sham and joke and read my lips, in a few weeks the populace will have forgotten about the entire scandal any might associate those entirely unrelated news with sort of like a "disclosure" by Google, facebook etc.

Do you seriously THINK (Morpheus voice
) that the NSA leaker went public with the amazing and "astonishing" news that the NSA and other authorities make regular requests to those social media and this has ANYTHING to do with PRISM and what PRISM is used for ? LOL

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Oh wow, looks a little like me!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It all started with the government deciding against Thin Thread and going with Trail Blazer. Thin Thread had protections in it against collecting US Citizens information. Trail Blazer did not. They chose Trail Blazer for that simple reason. And it has grown since then to new names doing the same thing collecting information on every one and every thing.

Thin Thread
en.wikipedia.org...

Trail Blazer
en.wikipedia.org...

SAIC Team Wins National Security Agency TRAILBLAZER Contract.
www.thefreelibrary.com...
edit on 15-6-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

This has pretty much be stated in other articles where the secret department within the NSA is discussed. I think it's called "Special Requested Access" or something like that. The understanding is that this top-secret group deliberately targets the secure systems of governments, corporations and individuals to find a way in and gather data.
reply to post by Rocker2013

Could you point in direction of said articles google didn't come up with anything relevant, or at least I missed it.

Thanks
Cody

Hey, I found out the name - "Tailored Access Operations"
It's apparently an ultra-secret group within the NSA.
I've been trying to find the link where I read about it but I can't seem to find it on the Guardian site, which is where I'm sure I read about it.

That's great thanks
Gives me something to work with

Cody

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

reply to post by beezzer

Oh wow, looks a little like me!

YOU ratted me out ?

Cody

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It's a sad day when an astute allegory by a poster basically side rails a very serious subject in terms of the freedom of speech and political dissenting opinion and reduces the conversation down to occasional jokes about vegetables. Maybe I need to lighten up a little but I have a hard time doing so when it concerns actual threats to democracy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join