It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

73 Syrian officers defect to Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I wonder if they are just tired of the Assad regime and the fighting? Or are we getting ready to move in?
I seen another thread earlier talking about marines heading to Jordan but had to leave, and didn't get a chance to read it. First thing i seen when i got back was this.

Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency reported the defection of 73 Syrian officers into Turkey on Friday, including seven generals and 20 colonels. The group, which totaled 202 people, arrived at the Turkish town of Reyhanli and were then taken to a refugee camp currently housing other military officers that have defected from Syria’s armed forces. According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies, which published a report on Assad's forces in March, were thought to be more than 300,000-strong before the uprising two years ago, and are now thought to be at a much lower effective strength. The report of the defections come on the heels of president Obama’s authorization to provide military aid to Syrian rebels after announcing conclusive evidence that Assad’s regime had used chemical weapons against the opposition.

RT

Do they know something we don't yet?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I was thinking this is a great way for Syrian Forces to infiltrate Turkey from within........

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone fighting, just quit??

S&F

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Haha i guess it would be an interesting trick.

I for one would like some peace and stability. Then maybe i wouldn't have to run right back to ATS like its some kind of drug.

edit on 14-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

ATS is addicting, hey?

I am saddened that those very people who have defected, could have done more within their country to prevent more bloodshed. MHO

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Just a little bit

Yeah, its sad that they jumped ship and left a lot of people to clean up, (I use this loosely) their mess.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Charge them for war crimes, even if not directly responsible.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Charge them for war crimes, even if not directly responsible.

If they do that Cal, they would have to charge humankind for letting it happen too.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

These officers are traitors . They'll rot in hell

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
How much longer do you think it will be until Assad disappears? Anyone wanna start a pool?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
4 - 6 Years

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Curious, but if Assad is arming Hezbollah instead of swearing them in under the Syrian flag as Syrian regular military this is a smart move by the officers.

Now Assad has denied arming them, and recently said he was going to activate forces to retaliate against Israel for their airstrike. If he meant non-military forces he's in deep poo.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Maybe the defectors are of non Alawite descent.....the last to leave Assad will be them.....
The Syrians perhaps really have been gassing the rebs....these big wigs looking for asylum and a free ride as states evidence maybe?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
gassing the rebs...

join