It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Hezbollah Sends Drone Plane Over Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The terrorist groups Hezbollah has used a reconnaissance drone to eye Israeli settlements. This is the first time the group has used air assets since a hang glider attack 17 years ago. It is unclear if the craft was homemade, or purchased from another country.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah sent a reconnaissance drone into Israeli territory over northern Jewish settlements Sunday in the first hostile aerial incursion from Lebanon since a hang glider attack 17 years ago killed six soldiers.

The militant Islamic group said that the flight was in response to repeated Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace and that it reached Israel's northern coastal city of Nahariya on the border before returning to base.

It was unclear if the drone was a homemade, makeshift aircraft or bought from abroad. Hezbollah did not describe its capabilities, say how many it had or provide further details, but promised there would be more flights.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Israel confirmed the flight and indicated that they believe that the drone was Iranian made. A Hezbollah statement indicated that the flight was in response to numerous violations of Lebanese airspace. Israel however claims that the flight proves that there is no control in Lebanon. Hezbollah has indicated that more flights will occur.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The solution is simple. Go on alert and shot evey one of the drones down.
they go slow, it would be easy.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
so its ok for me to fly over your house and bomb you, but its not ok for you
to fly over me with out getting shot down?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
And the irony of it is, they probably bought the drone for $150, added $300 in optical equipment, and it works failery well for what it cost. The US spent 1.5 billion on a system that at best barley works. Go fig

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
And the irony of it is, they probably bought the drone for $150, added $300 in optical equipment, and it works failery well for what it cost. The US spent 1.5 billion on a system that at best barley works. Go fig

The Predator UAV has not only been successful for recon, but it's actually engaged and destroyed targets. I'm not sure what you're talking about. It carries a number of high tech optical technologies and can reach an altitude of 26,000 feet. If that's "barely working" then I'm not sure what you would consider to be a real success.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem

The Predator and Global Hawks are entirely different animals than this drone (Im pretty sure). Im not sure what system you are refering to. Both have been successfull and the Predator is not armed. Just ask the Al Queda guys who's Fiat was taken out by one. I think an axle was about it that was left.

Its one thing to put up a small RC airplane, compared to a UAV that has autonomous capability

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
A model plane with a camera attached is a far cry from a Predator that can be equiped with a hell-fire missile and fly from hundreds of miles away. The UAVs the military has have preformed very well on the cheap compared to manned craft.

I wouldnt worry about this to much as I bet it was nothing more then a model plane you could buy at most RC shops.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
In the mid 80s the gov contracted Lockeed to builed a small raido controled drone for Recon. The budget started out at 100,000. After several years of changes and cost over runs, and neglegent waste it turned into about 1.5 billion, and as compared to the one used by Isreal, it was rather margional.
I am aware that the predeator and global hawk are vastually supier, and I wont deney that what was lerned way back in the 80s was probably used for the predator and global hawk. I was just running off at the mouth about needless gov. waste through a military contract compay during the Reagan era. Which of corse as we know is still hapening today. Just different companies.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Man computers were weak back in the 80s must have not been easy to work with. They even used drones back in WW2 Im pretty sure Kennedys older brother was killed in one.

Killed in a drone
I know, but back then you had to fly them then bail out and fly them in like a missile.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Shadow
Was not really supose to be computer dependent. Was supose to be a simple small drone with a little bit of high tech. Which was partly why I got so red faced. But thanks for reminding me about the other drones whe are useing now.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

After several years of changes and cost over runs, and negligent waste it turned into about 1.5 billion

Do you REALLY think that 1.5 billion went to that project??? Can you say "black projects"?
We don't spend $400 on a hammer either...

Since Israel acknowledged the incursion, wonder why they didn't shoot it down???

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Gazrok,
I really would like to think you are right about the black projects, but I just dont know

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't know how Israel can possibly complain about this after so many violations of Lebanese airspace.

Washington Times October 18, 2004
Beirut, Lebanon, Oct. 18 (UPI) -- Six Israeli warplanes violated Lebanese air space Monday and broke the sound barrier over south Lebanon, raising tension in the volatile region.

scoop.co.nz September 24 2004
UN Envoy Voices Concern Over Israeli Violations Of Lebanese Airspace
After a 24-hour period marked by nine Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace, a senior United Nations envoy to the region today called for an end to the overflights.

Spacewar Nov 22, 2003
sraeli warplanes flew over Lebanon Saturday as the country celebrated 60 years of independence, just three days after renewed UN warnings that doing so could escalate regional tension, officials said.

SMH.com.au April 29 2003

Israeli warplanes flew over southern Lebanon yesterday, drawing fire from Hizbollah guerillas, Lebanese security officials said.

The officials said two Israeli warplanes flew over the eastern, central and western sectors of south Lebanon, including the town of Nabatiyeh and the coastal city of Sidon.

new topics

top topics

join