It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sunken town of Dunwich England consumed by the north sea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here is an interesting web page I came across while surfing the web.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

What interests me is that the ruins are said to be 'well ruins' and from what I know of that area the form of erosion is not gentle to any structures that are destroyed which are usually first torn apart as there foundations are washed away and then smashed against the very cliff from which they have fallen by the same waves that undermined them. So it is interesting that the town is said to be identifiable (Or at least the stone structures though broken are) and may mean a different form of erosion based subsidence rather may have in part taken place there, or perhaps the town was barely above sea level and the sea merely washed the soil lower and lower causing subsidence and inundation of the town though I doubt this, also it may mean further out into the north sea off the east coast of England that roman settlements may have been similarly submerged.

It may be that this is just a misinterpretation on my part as I am not a geologist with respect to what that page say's but I leave it as always to yourselves to see if you can make anything interesting out of this, as there are many great mind's on ATS whom are also curious and may have more intelligent input.

edit on 14-6-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
...enjoy.

www.channel4.com...

Tony Robinson and the Team head to Dunwich, a village that's literally falling off the edge of the UK. Coastal erosion has eaten away most of this once-bustling settlement, and before the whole place is lost to the sea, there's a last chance to find out more about the lost origins of this dramatically situated town.

Could it even be possible to prove conclusively that it dates from Anglo-Saxon times?

But the archaeologists face a huge challenge. Up around the old walls they have to dig one of the deepest trenches they've attempted in recent years. And on a second site by the popular beach cafe, they're searching for an early medieval hospital. But it's not easy to access in the gaps between the fish and chip shop, crowded car park and public toilets.

Team leader Mick Aston is also desperate to understand the layout of the town's medieval priory, and sets the geophysics experts a Herculean surveying task.

And the Team don't just concern themselves with dry land, employing ultra-high-tech sonar technology to explore the large portion of the medieval town that already lies beneath the waves./quote]

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Read the Dunwich horror to find out why it was really reclaimed

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
4OD requires sign-up. Not sure why, they put them on YouTube anyway.

new topics

top topics

join