It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China gazes at the stars while the U.S. falls in the gutter?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Maybe some of you would be surprise to learn that Congress has banned NASA from contact, collaborations or partnerships with China.

I know I can find the article, I'll look for it. But until I find it. I'm sure this has to do with secrets and such things.

NASA is banned by Congress from any contact, collaborations or partnerships with China, primarily due to concerns about technology transfer. Republican congressman Frank Wolf has been leading that charge. “I understand Congressman Wolf’s concerns, but I think his approach is counter-productive,” Kulacki said. “Banning contact between NASA and potential counterparts in China only gives greater authority to the more nationalistic elements within the Chinese space community, and it minimizes the voices of a very large internationalist constituency within the Chinese space community,” he said. “The ban really strengthens attitudes that are not conducive to better relations between the United States and China and it weakens the position of those who take a more positive attitude toward the United States,” Kulacki added.

io9.com...
China's early days in space,

Since its birth in 1956, China's space program has gone through several important stages of development -- arduous pioneering, overall development in all related fields, reform and revitalization, and international cooperation -- to reach a considerable scale and level, in the process forming a comprehensive system of research, design, production, and testing.

Now, China ranks among the most advanced countries in the world in many important technological fields, such as satellite recovery, single-rocket multi-satellite launch, cryogenic-fueled rockets, strap-on rockets, geo-stationary satellite launch, and TT&C. Significant achievements have also been gained in the development and application of remote-sensing satellites and telecommunications satellites, and in manned spacecraft testing and space micro-gravity experiments.

China's first man-made satellite, the "Dongfanghong-I," was successfully developed and launched on April 24, 1970, making China the fifth country in the world with such a capability. By October 2000, China had developed and launched 47 satellites of various types, with a flight success rate of over 90 percent.

The "ZY (Ziyuan)" earth resource satellite series will soon debut. China is the 3rd country in the world to have mastered the technology of satellite recovery, with the success rate reaching the advanced international level, and the 5th country capable of developing and launching geo-stationary telecommunications satellites independently.

www.chinaculture.org...

China,,, slow but sure,,, Yes, moving ahead into space.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Not only gazing at the stars, but on schedule for their trip to the moon according to them.

XICHANG, Sichuan - China moved closer to its goal of landing on the moon as its second lunar probe, Chang'e-2, blasted off seconds before 7:00 pm on Friday from the southwestern city of Xichang. A Long March 3-C launch vehicle, with Chang'e-2 on top, lifted off from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan province at 6:59:57 pm as planned. The circumlunar satellite separated from the rocket at 7:26 pm to enter the Earth-moon transfer orbit. In less than five days, it will enter a 100-kilometer lunar orbit. About an hour after the launch, Li Shangfu, director of the Xichang launch center, declared the launch a success to cheers and applause in the command and control hall. The Chang'e-2 mission is considered "a starting point" of the second stage of China's lunar exploration program that focuses on landing on the moon, a spokesperson for the lunar exploration program, said.

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

You just can't turn a corner any more with out finding a Chinese Restaurant.

China's third lunar probe will blast off in the second half of 2013, the state Xinhua news agency reported late on Monday. Other reports said it would land and transmit back a survey of the moon's surface. If successful, the landing would be China's first on the lunar surface and mark a new milestone in its space development. It is part of a project to orbit, land on and return from the moon, Xinhua said. China said in its last white paper on space it was working towards landing a man on the moon, although it has not given a time frame. Beijing sees its multi-billion-dollar space programme as a symbol of its rising global stature, growing technical expertise, and the Communist Party's success in turning around the fortunes of the once poverty-stricken nation.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 19-6-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FromMyColdDeadBrain

While China surge ahead in leaps and bounds in supercomputer technology,

YUP,,, here's a little article to back you up.
China's Milkyway-2 is now the world's fastest supercomputer, Posted on 6/7/2013 7:15:31 PM by TexGrill

China has created a supercomputer that boasts more than double the speed of any system in the US. According to Computer World, the supercomputer can reach speeds of up to 54.9 petaflops. It has been built with Intel's chips, but also includes Chinese technology. The country's government has spent about $290 million building the computer. Jack Dongarra, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Tennessee, has published a detailed description of China's computer, which you can check out in this PDF. His report is based on a briefing at an HPC conference last month in Changsha by an official from the National University of Defense Technology.

The supercomputer, dubbed Tianhe-2 or the Milkyway-2, has 32,000 multicore Intel Xeon Ivy Bridge chips. It also has 48,000 Xeon Phi chips, which is a co-processor based on Intel's Many Integrated Core architecture. Each of the Xeon Phi processors is capable of more than a teraflop of speed. For the sake of reference, a petaflop equals one quadrillion floating-point operations per second.

What does out POTUS have to say about this!

The supercomputer is a successor to the Tianhe-1A supercomputer, which was crowned the world's fastest computer in November 2010. US President Barack Obama had noted at the time that because of the escalation in computing power, the US was facing another "Sputnik moment".

www.freerepublic.com...
One More Article,,,,

China has built the world’s fastest supercomputer, almost twice as fast as the second-place U.S. computer, a step that underlines the country’s rise as a science and technology powerhouse.

The twice-a-year TOP500 official listing of the world’s fastest supercomputers says the Tianhe-2 (sounds like tee-awn-hoo-wa) is by far the fastest. It is capable of computing at 33.86 petaflops per second. That equals 33,860 trillion calculations per second.

www.washingtonpost.com... ?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by guohua

If china is so awesome why the hell do you live in Phoenix?
edit on 19-6-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

You have a problem with Chinese people? Why would you ask such a stupid question of me, if all you had to do was read our profile.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona because my husband lives here. We are retired and his father is living with us, we take care of our family, we also go back to China every year. China is not as backyards or slummy as you would like people to think. I don't remember ever using the word AWESOME, can you quote that part of my reply for me.
Also, I am a woman, not a man.
@ Arnie123.

Yes, you are misinformed, China's achievements we accomplished on the backs of their worker class, who get paid, like what? $2 a day???

I don't know how a person who is Chinese and comes back to China two or three times a year can be misinformed! Please explain that one to me.
The cost of living in China is Much, Much lower that it is in America.
By the way, this is being type to you from China, we are visiting some friends of my husband at the American Embassy and my family in Harbin.
My husband will also be going to Hooters in Beijing with some old friends.

OP, I am sorry these people seem to think it is necessary to attack me for being Chinese and derailing your thread.
edit on 19-6-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

LOL, nobody is attacking you, paranoid are we??? and you ever stated in any previous post that your from china, AGAIN, get with the program.
You don't have to talk to be about Hooters, I worked at a hooters for 5 years. Now I'm military with china in my scopes, trust me lady, I have every right to be patriotic about my country, however blind it may be.
Again, nobody is attacking you, you decided to come to the defense of your nation, a sovereign thing to do I might add and I simply did too, that is all.
As for derailing the thread, you did no such thing as you posted information about the Chinese that contributes to the thread, sooooooooo....Chill out dude.
I stand by my stance that China is moving on up, but the degree and progress is slowly significantly, it WILL follow in the footsteps of western capitalism, good and bad. Freedom is the first step and with china's grip on that, how long YOU think they have before the people want more to the point that they will fight for it.
I will admit this, if the Chinese had OUR freedoms, then they will be something to contend with.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!

The bickering and personal remarks/attacks will CEASE!
You are responsible for your own posts. and members who fail to post civilly will have posts removed and face the possibility of temporary posting bans.

For those who have forgotten, this is the topic::

China gazes at the stars while the U.S. falls in the gutter?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
China would probably be cleared for interstellar travel before America and Europe would.
Their Lao Tzu - Buddhist- Tao approach to things is favored amongst many of the ET races.

America and Europe is too concerned about profits and looks trying to control outcomes favorable for the few elite

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
The danger with this type of thread is that the poster has probably never travelled out of his/her hometown!

Assumption is the mother of all fück-ups. (NB: I'm not ever American
)

Also, I'm well aware that China comprises of 200 million 'rich', 200 million that live at a Mexcio-level of 'prosperity' and 900 million that are abjectly poor, rural citizens.

However, this doesn't pertain to the issue at hand, which is China's advances versus the U.S. stagnation. The USSR had many poor, also, but this didn't deter the U.S. from space racing with them. And it's not only the space related stuff- China seem to be forward-thinking in many other areas, too.

The point is, the U.S. don't seem to know whether they're coming or going. Decades of treading dust in the Middle-East has taken their eye off the ball and now the once proud nation is having to take contingency measures just to remain relevant.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FromMyColdDeadBrain

Originally posted by paraphi
The danger with this type of thread is that the poster has probably never travelled out of his/her hometown!

Assumption is the mother of all fück-ups. (NB: I'm not ever American
)

Also, I'm well aware that China comprises of 200 million 'rich', 200 million that live at a Mexcio-level of 'prosperity' and 900 million that are abjectly poor, rural citizens.

However, this doesn't pertain to the issue at hand, which is China's advances versus the U.S. stagnation. The USSR had many poor, also, but this didn't deter the U.S. from space racing with them. And it's not only the space related stuff- China seem to be forward-thinking in many other areas, too.

The point is, the U.S. don't seem to know whether they're coming or going. Decades of treading dust in the Middle-East has taken their eye off the ball and now the once proud nation is having to take contingency measures just to remain relevant.

You know, I really like this post, I think you hit it on the nail. For a while, even as a proud american, there are some things even I can't put my finger on. Your probably right.
In all honesty, this thread should have been posted as china's advances an contribution to the world, instead of the current ladder, then mabe perhaps all this bickering wouldnt have been so prevailant.
Hopefully with the draw drowns we can start our focus on ourselves an continue to keep the edge sharp again.
China on the other hand will continue to do its part, but before I end this, Ill say this much, how long you think before china starts moving it chess pieces around the board on the military standpoint?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
how long you think before china starts moving it chess pieces around the board on the military standpoint?

That will have to do with civil stability. It's reported there are some 700 protests in China ever day of every year, and it's only growing. 1.34 billion is a lot of people with a lot diverse demography therewith.

Under communism, it comes down to either placating the masses through propaganda or through subjugation; because, by its very nature, you cannot produce a truly egalitarian society under an authoritarian system. So, while the people are happy (or forced to smile), China will likely keep largely to themselves.

The danger comes when their economy begins to slow and those that haven't yet received the fruits of their labour begin to realise they never will, that communist governments try to 'distract' the masses with nationalism. This tactic usually entails an 'enemy'; an enemy that is almost always a foreign one. From here you can see how things can escalate, as there are no shortage of historical enemies for China's politburo to focus on. After all, even the Americans marched on the Forbidden City at the turn of the 20th century!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I guess when the chinese can land a suburban into a crater on mars and shoot lasers at rocks i will dought our obvious superiority! Besides that we have already been to the moon and found out its not cheese what 40 years ago. Soon they may hack and steal enough from us to possibly kill several astronauts before they make a planetary landing of there own. While we start commercializing space travel like in some sy fi movie.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join