Black Hole Bonanza Turns up in Galaxy Next Door

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Chandra X-ray Observatory has discovered an unprecedented cluster of 26 candidates to be black holes in the nearby Andromeda Galaxy .
The discovery comes after 13 years of work totaling 152 observations
X-ray image of Andromed's core with black hole candidates circled

Chandra observations of the central region of Andromeda

Eight of the nine black hole candidates that were previously identified are associated with globular clusters, the ancient concentrations of stars distributed in a spherical pattern about the center of the galaxy. This also differentiates Andromeda from the Milky Way as astronomers have yet to find a similar black hole in one of the Milky Way's globular clusters

Andromeda, also known as Messier 31 (M31), is a spiral galaxy located about 2.5 million light years away. It is thought that the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide several billion years from now. The black holes located in both galaxies will then reside in the large, elliptical galaxy that results from this merger.
M31: Black Hole Bonanza Turns up in Galaxy Next Door

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I can just picture them ebbing closer and closer to Earth. They'd probably stop once they realise they'd have to 'swallow' a politician. Nasty thought, that.

On a serious note, do we even know what these things do yet, or is it still all vague and mystical? Last I heard they teleport people around from place to place. Or that they emit massive amounts of energy both ways. Maybe these are what bring matter (in) to the universe and it's US making the mistake of saying they're sucking (heh) things out?

Oo and a new thought, whilst my head's working. Maybe they simply recycle matter?
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: Spelling, grammar, you name it.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: Omg I can't read or spell

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joneselius
I can just picture them ebbing closer and closer to Earth. They'd probably stop once they realise they'd have to 'swallow' a politician. Nasty thought, that.

On a serious note, do we even know what these things do yet, or is it still all vague and mystical? Last I heard they teleport people around from place to place. Or that they emit massive amounts of energy both ways. Maybe these are what bring matter (in) to the universe and it's US making the mistake of saying they're sucking (heh) things out?

Oo and a new thought, whilst my head's working. Maybe they simply recycle matter?
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: Spelling, grammar, you name it.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: Omg I can't read or spell

Gravity attracts matter, this is a known fact.

A black hole is nothing more than, infinite mass per unit of volume.

So yes black holes do indeed "suck", lol pun intended, but true none the less.

A Einstein/rosen bridge, or "wormhole" is what teleports people around.

We could make the earth a black hole, if we shrunk it down to the size of a marble, as it would have infinite mass, per unit of its volume at that size.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
The Chandra X-ray Observatory has discovered an unprecedented cluster of 26 candidates to be black holes in the nearby Andromeda Galaxy .
The discovery comes after 13 years of work totaling 152 observations
X-ray image of Andromed's core with black hole candidates circled

Chandra observations of the central region of Andromeda

Eight of the nine black hole candidates that were previously identified are associated with globular clusters, the ancient concentrations of stars distributed in a spherical pattern about the center of the galaxy. This also differentiates Andromeda from the Milky Way as astronomers have yet to find a similar black hole in one of the Milky Way's globular clusters

Andromeda, also known as Messier 31 (M31), is a spiral galaxy located about 2.5 million light years away. It is thought that the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide several billion years from now. The black holes located in both galaxies will then reside in the large, elliptical galaxy that results from this merger.
M31: Black Hole Bonanza Turns up in Galaxy Next Door

Very nice op SnF!!

Looks like will be seeing a few up close in another couple billion years. As we are falling towards eachother, MilkyWay/Andromeda as we speak.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Joneselius

Black holes just sit there.

Things fall into them. They tend to get smeared all over the place while falling in. Big lightshow.

Relativity also smears time all over the place for the things that fall in and you get all kinds of funny physical effects coming out of that, but none of it takes effect till you actually fall in.

And by then it doesn't matter anyway, at least to the rest of us. You're gone for good. You've left the building.

Over time, if stuff doesn't keep falling into them, black holes kind of evaporate.

And that's black holes.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

First time I've ever seen you "dumbing-down" something to this degree.
I can't stop laughing.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

Just trying to keep up (down?) with the times.

new topics
top topics

join