It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Wisdom of the Ancients or failure on our part?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Heck Harte I gave him a link to the book (well a searchable e-version) but the real book has to be purchased unless you can find a university library that has it. I unfortunately gave my copy away some years ago after reading it twice.

People don't seem to realize that experimental archaeology has been on this question for several generations. The material is there in dusty books, the reason you don't see much of it on the internet is that the fringe is certainly NEVER going to put it up and orthodoxy already knows it.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Giant Stupidity Field

May I steal that?

About 500 million people still live by slash and burn agriculture and another 1-1.5 billion by marginal farming/gathering and fishing, they would do just fine if civilization disappeared. Not everyone in the world is a middle-class urbanite!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Harte

Heck Harte I gave him a link to the book

Damn! I just noticed that you did link it!

Curses, foiled again!

I'll get you one day, Hanslune!

Harte
edit on 6/16/2013 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

reply to post by Harte

Heck Harte I gave him a link to the book

Damn! I just noticed that you did link it!

Curses, foiled again!

I'll get you one day, Hanslune!

Harte

Never! but I'll help you with the odds. I'm leaving on vacation to Ireland tomorrow and I'll be back around July 9 the best part is that I'll be in a wi-fi free zone most of the time....so post like a madden badger while I'm gone to keep the 'sparkly' suppressed and the world safe for orthodoxy, PRPs and curried tripe with ground nuts.
edit on 17/6/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thank you Slayer for another thought provoking thread which brings to mind several things.

One, which may have already been mentioned is recent evidence of relatively recent morphological evolution of the human species over just the last 20,000 years, and in some aspects as recent as 5000 years.
HERE is a piece in Discover Magazine about our incredible shrinking brain size.

Our brains, however, are very complex machines where shrinkage in over-all volume doesn't necessarily equate to less intelligence. The changes we see in brain size may very well be a direct result on greater social interdependence and reliance on labor specializations due the rise of civilization and community.
These specializations free us up to think longer on whatever our specializations might be.

With earlier people, as exampled with clay tablets, their hardware/brains, as well as likely the software in how they looked at the world and approached the unknown from our perspective is almost alien (not in the extraterrestrial sense, but closer to talking to dolphins sense).
Living closer to a less specialized existence in the evolutionary sense, these minds likely had greater facility for memory and recitation.
Epic poems like the Illiad and Odessy were memorized and sung as a regular part of the trade craft of story telling in the time were those stories were in demand.
Anyone that can memorize and recite such epics now are considered sideshow anomalies.

Basically, it would seem we're losing our memories, or more properly our capacity for memory.
How does this effect our expression and development in the future?

That brings us to the argument of intellectual escape velocity and the idiocracy cliff.
The 'smarter' we become from a technological standpoint, the more reliant we become on the technologies we develop. Over time, this reliance becomes a necessity. Should we not progress to self guided, or augmented evolutionary advancement that actually make us smarter, our machines, and technological wonders will become crutches where we can't do anything without their assistance (a bit of an exaggeration), like remembering a phone number.

Our brains are shrinking.
Is this just leaner, meaner, specialization progressing toward an even 'smarter' future, or is this more tree trimming and loss of function we didn't know we needed until it's gone.

This brings up the fun "Are you 'smarter' than a chimpanzee(?) question and game.
Watch this amazing video

And here's a link to the memory game you can try yourself

Thanks again Slayer!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yes I believe humans have periods of great advances until we get so advanced that we wipe ourselves out with war or technology and its back to the Stone Age. There is evidence of past nuclear wars but that's for another time
mankind is way older than we are made to believe but the question I find myself asking all the time is why we are not told the truth about our past just why?
edit on 4-7-2013 by DarkNite because: Spelling error

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkNite
Yes I believe humans have periods of great advances until we get so advanced that we wipe ourselves out with war or technology and its back to the Stone Age. There is evidence of past nuclear wars but that's for another time
mankind is way older than we are made to believe but the question I find myself asking all the time is why we are not told the truth about our past just why?

Why?

Perhaps you should ask your sources for the above fringe malarky since it is they that are not telling you the truth about our past.

Harte

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

I ask why we are not told the truth about our past because I would like to know the truth. For example in school I was told Columbus was in America before the Vikings and now it's taught a little different.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

reply to post by Harte

I ask why we are not told the truth about our past because I would like to know the truth. For example in school I was told Columbus was in America before the Vikings and now it's taught a little different.

I would suggest that you are misremembering. Most text books just mention the Viking because they had a very limited impact then go in the the major effect of COlumbus....that or you went to school before the info on LAM was incorporated in the early middle sixties

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes I probably am. But i do remember being taught Christopher Columbus was here and he was one of the first something's to be here lol I don't know but Vikings were in America first right? Just asking

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Hanslune

Yes I probably am. But i do remember being taught Christopher Columbus was here and he was one of the first something's to be here lol I don't know but Vikings were in America first right? Just asking

Well the native America got here first....the Norse were proven to be here second, circa 1000 AD, in the early 1960s, others may have come but those remain unproven, Chris upset the whole world....so he gets mentioned more often

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I don't know but Vikings were in America first right? Just asking
No actual proof just yet that the Norse made it to America, per se, but in the immortal words of my former bro-in-law..."Ya never know, ya know?"

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I don't know but Vikings were in America first right? Just asking
No actual proof just yet that the Norse made it to America, per se, but in the immortal words of my former bro-in-law..."Ya never know, ya know?"

Oh using America in the sense of the USA, I was answering in the sense of the continent. ?..I hold that the Maine Penny is legit but may have come to it locations by trade.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I hold that the Maine Penny is legit but may have come to it locations by trade.
My understanding is that the Maine Penny was found in a Labrador FN tool kit. But all it takes is the right site, eh?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

In my estimation, you weren't paying close enough attention at the time, or you misremember, or you are very, VERY old. Or, you had an individual teacher that was senile and you were too lazy to read that section of your textbook.

Nobody teaches that Columbus was the first to discover America. They teach that Columbus discovered America, which he did.

If you really wanted to know the truth about the past, you wouldn't have assumed we've been "lied to" or whatever. Rather, you would invest the time and energy it takes to discover exactly why and how we know certain facts about the past. Then you might understand that you've been lied to alright, but not by archaeologists or historians.

Boring, I know, and certainly not as exciting as aliens or ancient advanced civilizations.

Harte

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Well I knew he wasn't here First because the Indians were already here. I was just saying I thought the Vikings were here before Columbus. I'm not here to bash anyone. Just to share what I can and learn all I possibly can. Thank you anyway.

edit on 5-7-2013 by DarkNite because: Letter

edit on 5-7-2013 by DarkNite because: Edit

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Nobody teaches that Columbus was the first to discover America. They teach that Columbus discovered America, which he did.
reply to post by Harte

I don't mean to break your heart Harte but I don't even believe I said he was here first. Please at least read the whole post if you want to reply. Or not but don't say I said something I didn't. Good day. Columbus did discover America and so I did I when I came into this world. Good day and long love ats.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I do not know at all if this is true but I've heard something about a big crystal under the Giza pyramid. (The big one) and I know nobody is allowed to go any further down. Maybe that's a power source of some kind. Or it could be bs. But maybe we don't think like they did. So maybe we don't understand their level of technology. But that's IF their tech was more than bronze tools. It really hurts to say this but the world may never know.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

I don't mean to break your heart Harte but I don't even believe I said he was here first. Please at least read the whole post if you want to reply. Or not but don't say I said something I didn't. Good day. Columbus did discover America and so I did I when I came into this world. Good day and long love ats.

Now you rely on semantics to avoid the realization that nobody ever told you that Columbus was here before the Vikings.

You should just consider that you weren't paying attention at the time, or that you are now, years later, misremembering a very basic fact that has been known since before you were born.

That, or your teacher was an idiot.

Harte

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

That, or your teacher was an idiot.
. I will not argue with that one.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join