It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post - Classified Docs Reveal Obama Upcoming Africa trip cost up to 100 Million $$

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yes of course we should compromise the safety of the President to the United States for other concerns

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
reply to post by sonnny1

Yes of course we should compromise the safety of the President to the United States for other concerns

I find it Ironic that there are those who have no problem with the rampant waste of Government Bureaucracy.

I also find it Ironic that 10 % of Americans polled think Congress can do no wrong either.

Poll: Congress’ approval rating at historic low

Compromise?

Silly me.

Maybe he should use Skype or invite those from these African Nations to visit here....

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Originally posted by hamburgerler

Originally posted by dragonridr

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
I could care less about cost. it is high time that someone representing the U.S. get to Africa and broker a deal for a slice of their natural resources before the Chinese monopolize the entire continent.

Fools look at cost; meanwhile, insightful folks look at dividends.
edit on 14-6-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

Are we talking about the same continent? Any thing worth money is all ready claimed diamonds in south africa owned by debeers. and Oil 53 countries in Africa possess only 9 percent of the world’s proven petroleum reserves compared to almost 62 percent for the Middle East. The major resource china wants is timber which we have plenty of. The US all ready gets oil from countries such as Nigeria but the others need so much investment in infrastructure its probably not worth it. Over all Africa has little interest to the west China needs it because they really have no where else to go.

Once Africa gets to speed their disposable income will be very welcome to America companies.

Have you ever been to africa all there disposable income goes to local warlords all battling for there piece of the pie. And right behind them is the government run by another dictator. And behind him is an international corporation all ready grabbing there share there will never be disposable income. It would take the entire continent to start revolutions and that wont happen.

That's what people use to say about South East Asia.

You erroneously assume that history will remain static, that is a foolish way to view things IMO.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

reply to post by sonnny1

I find it Ironic that there are those who have no problem with the rampant waste of Government Bureaucracy.

I also find it Ironic that 10 % of Americans polled think Congress can do no wrong either.

Poll: Congress’ approval rating at historic low

Compromise?

Silly me.

Maybe he should use Skype or invite those from these African Nations to visit here....

Silly me, maybe African culture sees the visit as a great gesture and would rather do business with a black man, instead of the Chinese who's word for African translates into "eye booger".

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Travel to Africa????

My impression is that if a world leader needs for some reason to travel around the world, it is because of a reason. That it cost 100 million or for that matter 200 million with a GDP of US$ 14,991,300,000,000 (2011)

I would prefer if our President was safe rather then in harms way because the United States is to cheap to protect an Alpha 1 leader.

If it cost 42 million to travel to Africa in 1998 what makes you think it would not cost 100 million today???

The current President of the United States vacations in Hawaii, he has a home their.

This is a business trip that cold mean billions for America so why is that a problem????

Any thoughts?
edit on 15-6-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Silly me, maybe African culture sees the visit as a great gesture and would rather do business with a black man, instead of the Chinese who's word for African translates into "eye booger".

Is this before or after a "Drone Strike"?

Before or after another Rwandan Genocide happens, and the US does nothing but let it happen?

Will he be visiting Local Warlords?

Child Soldiers?

Will he be bringing the latest in Prosthetics with him? 100 million dollars worth would be a good thing for all those children who have missing limbs.......

Get real.

100 Million and a feel good story..... That's what this is.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

There are 1 billion people living in the Western Hemisphere so where exactly do the other 6 billion people live???

When it comes to getting in touch with reality who exactly needs to get there act together??

Any thoughts?
edit on 15-6-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Couldn't he just Skype with their leaders for free?

Or is this proof we are devolving back into monarchy?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

When it comes to getting in touch with reality who exactly needs to get there act together??

This week the New York Times reported that the US is planning to establish a new base for its drones in north-west Africa. While the base is to be used initially to fly unarmed surveillance drones, according to the article the US does not rule out the possibility of using the base to launch drone strikes in the future. One day after the NYT piece, Reuters reported the base would be established in Niger. According to ”a senior government source” says Reuters, ”the U.S. ambassador to Niger, Bisa Williams, made the request at a meeting on Monday with President Mahamadou Issoufou, who immediately accepted it.

American Drones Over Africa: New US Military Bases in West Africa

Reality.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Is this before or after a "Drone Strike"?

Before or after another Rwandan Genocide happens, and the US does nothing but let it happen?

Will he be visiting Local Warlords?

Child Soldiers?

Will he be bringing the latest in Prosthetics with him? 100 million dollars worth would be a good thing for all those children who have missing limbs.......

Get real.

100 Million and a feel good story..... That's what this is.

Clearly it's a feel bad story for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
He has some much bigger issues to deal with this second and I'm sure he will be working very little on the "business" trip
Its kinda Ironic.
I see in almost every Bash O thread, how many times he plays Golf, Hell, My Buddy Neo can tell you how many Mulligans.

Now he is Traveling Abroad , Meeting Leaders, doing Presidental Things, Hes a Bad Leader for not staying in Country!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by hamburgerler

All it is, is a waste of Money. No lasting solutions.

For every President visiting, there are Thousands of Africans dying daily. When he leaves, there will be Thousands of Africans still dying.

Yeah, there is no "feel good" moment for those people. ONLY for the President.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Yes maybe we should use Twitter...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I don't mind any President finding solutions to Africa's plights, but lets get real.

If Bush did this, I would say the same thing. What real goals are going to be accomplished, that the last 15 Presidents haven't tried or done?

If Obama straight up said he was giving 100 million to reeducate Child Soldiers, or give them homes I would be all for it, albeit I would like him to find solutions to Americas problem's first. When it comes to Children, of ANY Nation, I feel its the right of every leader to tackle these problems first and foremost. Hunger, disease, etc.....

Real Problems, real solutions are needed. Not drone strikes and finding new Nations to hold our bases in.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

I guess Skyping could be the Future for World Leaders.
And then instead of Having Battle Groups Parked off our Enemies Shores for Years.
We could Save Billions by Sending Nasty E-Mails instead.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As for the actual dollar figure, it does sound high...but honestly what do you suspect? He is the President of the United States in 2013. And this is not a simple "vacation" even if it is sort-of a vacation. There will be the usual politicking, photo ops, some meetings, diplomacy, maybe a conclave or two, etc., etc. I mean, do you think he is the first government official going overseas? By virtue of our time, there are more security concerns than ever before, which necessarily means more $$$$. And who is better known, loved, and despised than the President (any President) of the United States of America? Leaders need to be protected, and that does cost money. Like it or not, he's the leader of the most influential nation on the planet. A leader will travel, and it will cost money. I imagine most of the cost will go to security and accommodations. This is inevitable. I mean, I don't support government inefficiency and waste--and there's probably more than a little "waste" here. I just think the bulk of this bill is going to support the logistics of this trip more than anything. And it is a big bill if the money figure is true, but what would you suppose? The head of a nation needs to travel...But I digress.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

He cannot Skype with African leaders. Skype turns over their records to the NSA

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by FlyersFan
My question ... what is worth $100 million to us taxpayers for send the first family over there?

Maybe a lot more than we know. This isn't just a family vacation trip... He'll be working in every country

Rhodes said the emerging democracies on the president's itinerary are crucial partners in regional security conflicts. Obama will hold bilateral meetings with each country's leader in an effort to forge stronger economic ties. He will reportedly also highlight global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

Source

edit on 6/14/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Really??
That's pretty pathetic bow wow. He could easily do that from the Oval Office or as usual, his golf cart.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487

Even if he does work. That doesn't justify spending that much when you could use the internet, and a simple video conferencing program.

edit on 14-6-2013 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

True, but, then the NSA may end up spying on him. It could be eerie spying on yourself.

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

He cannot Skype with African leaders. Skype turns over their records to the NSA

Damnit, someone beat me to it lol well done

edit on 15-6-2013 by Ange7Heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
That said, no US POTUS would survive a single day in Africa, or any other relatively unstable 3rd world location, if he traveled on the cheap, so there you have it.

the point is ... what are the American people getting out of sending the First Family to Africa at the cost of up to 100 Million Dollars? Is it worth it for us to send the family? I'm not seeing it being worth that at all.

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Fools look at cost; meanwhile, insightful folks look at dividends.

Yes .. you should look at the 'dividend'. The purpose of this trip is officially labeled as 'AIDS AWARENESS'. So what exactly does the USA get out of spending up to 100 million dollars to send the first family to Africa to supposedly raise 'AIDS AWARENESS'?? What's the dividend for the US taxpayer? Answer ... none. Obama and his family get a free trip to Africa. We get stuck with the bill.

There is no need for Obama to go to Africa for 'AIDS AWARENESS'. The entire continent of Africa knows about AIDS and how it spreads. Him going there and shaking hands with some politicians and touring around with his family isn't going to raise any awareness nor stop the spread of AIDS.

If he wants to work on AIDS AWARENESS .. he should stay in Washington DC. Riding the metro in DC you can see sign after sign stating that the HIV rate among blacks in DC is 20%. Yep ... 1 in 5 black people in Washington DC is HIV positive. If Obama is so uptight about AIDS AWARENESS then perhaps he should save us the 100 million dollars and just go out on the balcony of the White House and give a shout out to the black people in DC to stop screwing around without using condoms.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join