It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post - Classified Docs Reveal Obama Upcoming Africa trip cost up to 100 Million $$

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well the op, and others are holding the Potus accountable because it was a 'campaign issue:

Near17 trillion dollars in debt so what's 100 million

edit on 14-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If you all are so ticked off about Obama spending 100 million, shouldn't you all be taking out your frustration on Congress who control the strings to the purse.

Peace

Common sense is breathtaking to behold.

This is the last thing that I'm upset over when it comes to Obama. His lies, abuse of power, treachery, and disregard for the populace of this country with his corrupt policies piss me off a lot more

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well the op, and others are holding the Potus accountable because it was a 'campaign issue:

Come on NEO, we both know politicians don't keep their campaign promise.

Near17 trillion dollars in debt so what's 100 million

Yep, Congress has a bad spending habit, don't they?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wow, does he ever look young, eager and full of confidence in that video.

Questionable spending aside, it seems like holding the position of Potus drains the life out you and makes you seem to forget some policies you once held dear.

I wonder if realizing you wont be able to fulfill many of your campaign promises and the stress relating to tip toeing around the fact, turns the president into the shell of the person they were prior to office.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

So politicians can say whatever the hell they want, and it doesn't matter?

No wonder this country is damned.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The President should lead by example, sure we can blame congress all day long but it is no excuse for the potus to take advantage of it. Just when things are heating up the potus takes off.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So politicians can say whatever the hell they want, and it doesn't matter? No wonder this country is damned.

That's been the game for quite some time. Damned till the day somebody figures out how to get Congress to control its spending and pass bills based on what is good for the country and not their own pockets and those of their friends.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Maybe a lot more than we know. This isn't just a family vacation trip... He'll be working in every country

I like how "work" essentially amounts to reading a speech somebody else wrote and spending an hour in a pointless roundtable that could have been easily telecommuted if it even has to be held at all.

Multi-billion dollar business deals go through with less expense.

I love watching the CSPAN coverage of these high power meet and greets. A couple of podiums, a couple of per-written speeches completely void of all substance and some inane questions asked by the press that have nothing to do with anything because every politician is so afraid to say anything they say nothing.

These people are like Hollywood celebrities that have too much time and money so they routinely make up excuses to have parties for themselves and their friends.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I wonder if his chums at the IRS will look the other way regarding the income that should be taxed on that trip. Obama's trip might be business but his wife and daughters are not there on official business and, as such, any cost for their travels, should be deemed income to them.

I'd love to see them get tagged for the cost of the trip, including the added security to watch over the clan while he's wasting time meeting with countries that aren't as in need of attention as, say, the one he's being paid to run.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
$100M for yet another Obama family vacation? Sure, why not?...it's just OUR money.

BTW: Clinton's trip cost $42.8 M.

Obama's forthcoming trip is the latest evidence that presidential travel is both incredibly expensive and frequently controversial.

When President Bill Clinton went to Africa in 1998, his trip came at a cost of around $42.8 million.

President George W. Bush made two trips to Africa during his tenure, though information from the Government Accountability Office hasn't turned up a specific figure.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

...as for Obama considering cancelling the wildlife safari because of protection needed from wild animals?...Jackals don't eat their own.
edit on 14-6-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Many of the people that complain about the cost of a trip like this also seem to complain about any money going to other countries in general. They scream "take care of the problems at home, give all foreign aid money to people here."

Well, we see how well non-intervention and isolationism has worked for the US in the past. (Here's a hint - not at all).

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
As we all struggle to makes ends meet, our President is considering a lavish trip to Africa......

Most of the country is struggling to pay the bills in their household and now they need to worry about covering the Presidents vacations...

US Govt. PLEASE get your priorities straight... You are ALL bleeding this country dry.

And with all the sh*t going on in this country, scandals, possible war with Syria, etc... Why the hell are you looking at vacation time? You need to be cleaning up this mess, not running away expecting it all to just go away... You took the job, now please do us all a favor and DO IT...

edit on 14-6-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

I am simi unemployed, my wife is unemployed and her benifits will end soon!
This just takes the cake. No easy getting a job at 58 years old!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

no one said anything about isolationism. The cost is between 60 and 100 million dollars for The entire[/] Obama family to go to africa, Ireland etc. If you remove Michelle and the kids from the trip, you reduce the cost of the trip and, honestly, they are there on vacation while the President works. When a family is struggling, they don't take vacations. When a company is struggling, they cut out benefits that are not eseesntial for the ongoing operation of said business.

Our family is struggling, our business is struggling, and a 100 million dollar excursion for the President's kids to see zebras is wasteful. There's a zoo in DC.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
My question ... what is worth $100 million to us taxpayers for send the first family over there?

Maybe a lot more than we know. This isn't just a family vacation trip... He'll be working in every country

Rhodes said the emerging democracies on the president's itinerary are crucial partners in regional security conflicts. Obama will hold bilateral meetings with each country's leader in an effort to forge stronger economic ties. He will reportedly also highlight global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

Source

edit on 6/14/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Why? So he can rollout Obamacare in these countries as well? This way EVERYONE is covered anywhere on the planet with the ever so cheap Obamacare....Coming to a country near you!!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Working on what? AIDS conferences? What else? How is this worth $100 Million taxpayer dollars? At least he may have dumped the safari for him and Michelle.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
So? In today's economy $100 Million is not that much. Africa is a dangerous place so he needs a lot of security.

Again ... WHAT is he doing over there with his family that is worth $100 million to US taxpayers.

(Especially considering that he can't find a few thousand dollars to keep the Peoples House (WH) open and he can't find the money for the Blue Angels to fly in air shows?)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks Flyers...read the article. It's not clear where the 60-100M dollar price tag originated? The author seems to have gotten a schedule and resources, but where did the numbers come from?

I only ask, because with political pieces in the past, they take the "kitchen sink" approach to math...

For example:

A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.

I can do math that will include the fuel for that ship, the pay of the soldiers and staff on-board etc. etc. while at the same time never acknowledging that the ship would be somewhere else burning fuel, and those soldiers would still be getting paid if they were stationed somewhere else.

Ditto with the secret service staff...do they still get paid if Obama doesn't go to Africa? Or do they sit home without pay...

On and on it goes...We saw the same "Math" when Pres. Bush travelled...My concern is math abuse for partisan purposes, whoever is in office.

I would need to see how the 60m-100m number was arrived at and the author doesn't seem to be offering it.

Any help there?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by muse7
So? In today's economy $100 Million is not that much. Africa is a dangerous place so he needs a lot of security.

Again ... WHAT is he doing over there with his family that is worth $100 million to US taxpayers.

You mean the strangely broad 60 Million Dollar to 100 M estimate? Funny how that quickly becomes 100M?

Can you explain to me how that sum was arrived at? See my post above.
edit on 14-6-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
but where did the numbers come from?

Supposedly from the documents that the Washington Post got their hands on.
They did not post the documents, but wrote a piece on them.
So if you want to see the documents ... you'll have to ask them to post 'em.
(which would actually be a great idea.
)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
and a 100 million dollar excursion for the President's kids to see zebras is wasteful. There's a zoo in DC.

And it's a pretty nice zoo. Love the panda bears.
Obviously Obama is taking advantage of the situation to take his family on free vacations around the world. Bush43 did it. Clinton did it. Obama's doing it. All at our expense. And all the while the White House is shut down to visitors and the Blue Angels are grounded for supposed 'lack of funding'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join