It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miniature Pyramids found at Sedeinga, Sudan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Two thousand years after the Egyptian Khufu build his Great Pyramid of Giza, the armies of Nubia (Sudan) invaded and occupied Egypt.Tthe pyramids were admired by the Nubian kings. They ruled Egypt during the 25th Dynasty, Egypt’s influence on their own cultural practices was long-lasting.

Archaeological work shows that the inhabitants of Nubia, particularly those in the kingdom of Meroe, found a way to imitate Egypt’s monuments.

Archaeologists have found a necropolis on the banks of the Nile which contains hundreds of small pyramid tombs.

Link to article in Archaeology magazine

In four years, the team has recovered five new inscriptions, but they also discovered something astonishing. They expected to unearth a modest number of burials, but it didn’t take long before Francigny and his colleagues realized that the cemetery had once held thousands of burial chambers, many of which lay beneath small pyramids. In less than half an acre, they discovered the bases of 35 pyramids. The largest was 22 feet wide and once stood just over 30 feet high. Much smaller monuments, such as the 30-inch-wide pyramid, were built over the graves of children.

Since a French explorer first described the cemetery at Meroe in the early nineteenth century, archaeologists have identified the remains of more than 220 royal pyramids in Sudan. Excavations show that early in the Meroitic period (ca. 300 B.C.–A.D. 350), pyramids were built exclusively for those of noble blood. “It would have been sacrilege to erect a pyramid for a nonroyal person,” says Francigny

Another story on the same subject

Artifacts found

Modern reconstructions

edit on 14/6/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

That's pretty cool.
But why did it take four years for this to be released to the public?

Oh well, better late than never. I wonder what else is waiting to be found in those areas around the Nile.
Once again, cool stuff. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'd be interested to know if these pyramids have 4 sides, or the very hard to notice 8 like the great pyramids. I want to know their reasoning behind this.

Still very fascinating, I find the obsession with geometry fascinating.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Nice looks like the " Lord of Punt " title for Bes has gained some more credibility ..

Wonder where this will lead ?

Thx

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great Post.

I can't wait until they actual excavate the bigger pyramids more west. This is a great find.
I do not wish to argue, or debate. I simply wish to exchange ideas, in a civil mature manner.

I do have a couple of personal issues, but its okay, I will most likely be ignored.

I believe that we do not have enough data to make some of the claims we ever so boldly make. In this particular region There are more civilizations than just Kush(Nubia), there are many unnamed civs. They are all clumped together because we have so many conflicting theories and because they carry some of the same characteristics.

The root of this particular tree is found in ethiopia, which so-far pre-dates, everything in the region. If one enters Africa from the north, data will be compiled from the top down, which to me can confuse someone. I don't think one can produce an effective timeline without an adequate understanding of the places around. My point is, every time we talk about this region, we talk about everything as an extension of Ancient Kemet which is erroneous due to the facts, most of these places pre-date Ancient Kemet (Egypt), and some of them ruled simultaneously, without affiliation.
I personally believe that Ancient Kemet is an extension of these places.

If one wants a clear understanding of ancient Kemet (Egypt), it would be of anyone's best interest to study other African civilizations. If one does not know ANYTHING about other African Civ's, how can one establish a genuine understanding??? If one doesn't possess an accurate understanding of Africa( including the middle east), then we can expect all type of foolish claims that are purely theoretical.
For example, people clam Kemet(Egypt) influenced Nubia, when Nubia is home to the oldest city in all of Africa. Does this mean they influenced Kemet, no. We have so many influences and physical evidence of Nubia and Ethiopia in Kemet(nubia). Every time you see a bird regardless of its kind, on the head of a woman, that is an Ethiopian practice.
People have this understanding that we started in Africa, somehow gathered our marbles along the way, backtracked, then traveled back north. This is utterly absurd. We should be able to find a logical progression from the root, and this is exactly what we have!! There are even traces of someone trying to remove this "bread-crumb trail". There is a progression of thought and practices, that can be traced from Kemet(Egypt) to places that exist before Kemet yet we deny that they may have influenced the birth and legacy Kemet.?

I don't understand.

I despise the idea, we will adhere to our own understanding versus allowing the people to speak for themselves. The Nubian language has never been fully translated, I don't know if it has been translated at all. When we continue to speak for people we will never have a TRUE understanding of what they have to offer. Researchers once ordered and demanded we believe the idea , Nubians did not have a language and it appears that they did(same for many improtant civs, like the olmecs). I bet if we would have listened to the people of the region they would have saved us bit of time. The hit and miss approach is very cave-man like in my humble opinion, almost as if the people's story just isn't good enough.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post. I kept it short, I just wanted to share my opinion. The African story is very, very different from the outside within, then it is from the inside out. Its disappointing to know, the African opinion has no merit to the "know-it-all" researchers that "know nothing" about the birthplace of humanity. The people of Sudan have a VERY profound message about some of the modern changes that have taken place, the 2 most recent damns are a very good starting point if one is interested.
Many Blessings, and if any thing isn't clear please quote and ask. Thanx.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
I'd be interested to know if these pyramids have 4 sides, or the very hard to notice 8 like the great pyramids. I want to know their reasoning behind this.

Still very fascinating, I find the obsession with geometry fascinating.

From what I can tell they are four sided, the eight sided architectual trick is not needed on smaller pyramids as the "bending of the straight line" doesn't occur on a short baseline.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

You may wish to start your own thread on this subject.

top topics

join