It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas from Gas Stations in a SHTF scenario?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
So, just how hard is this? In the back of our minds, this is always kind of the "go to" solution for gassing up in a SHTF event.

First, let me preface by saying that trying to do this in any other situation is illegal.
But, if one had to do this, it isn't quite as easy as you may think, to just siphon gas from a station's underground tanks.

In such a situation, there are two types of vehicles that are best to have...either one that takes low octane (87) or one that takes diesel. The reason is, these will typically be held in their own tanks (not mixed in the dispenser). Depends on the station, but many will simply mix higher octanes vs. having separate tanks. Of course, less stations will have diesel, but there are lots of other reasons (such as biodiesel) to consider them as well.

Also, you would need to know what the different color codes are for the different tanks.

White =Regular 87
Blue = Midgrade 89-91
Red = Premium 93
Yellow= Diesel
Brown = Kero

Fairly universal, but usually in the station there will be a mapping diagram. So, if deserted, after a SHTF event, you could look for this. It helps to know what all the different manholes and openings do, and are for, also.

Here's a good link that has pics and explains how pumps and tanks work, etc. in stations.

www.ar15.com...

So, what would you need to get the gas?
Well, again, I'll stress that outside of a SHTF scenario, this would be highly illegal. Here's a local news story (oddly enough, I just Googled for a good one, and of course, it just happens to be in my county) that actually shows what criminals were doing. The same methodology could be applied in a survival situation.

www.abcactionnews.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good info

However if you have a real SHTF situation, gas stations will be emptied rather quickly.

I think that people who are prepared will clean them out.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
A nice hand pump and a length of hose.

Should be one in every B.O.B.

The other side of it, though, is in a true SHTF situation, at least for a while, I feel you'd be better off 'acquiring' from abandoned cars. There will be plenty, and they are so much easier to deal with.
edit on 14-6-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If it was a real SHTF scenario, I think I would hit up the Gas depot close by my house, there are probably 12 massive round storage tanks that hold gasoline. This is where the gas trucks come to fill up and then dispense the gas to the local gas stations. Talk about a lot of gas, but it would come with risks for sure.
I've heard people say they would just go around, punching holes in gas tanks and taking peoples gas. Very dangerous to say the least.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I got to travel 200 miles to our retreat. I ALWAYS keep my truck full and we can make it there with 3/4 of a tank of gas. But as back up, if we have to take a round a bout way, I have 30 gals of gas stored at home that i rotate yearly after adding fuel additive to it.

Once im at the retreat, we have 2,000 gal of Reg gas, 2,000 of Diesel, and 55 gal of Kerosene in underground storage tanks.

edit on 14-6-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
A nice hand pump and a length of hose.

Should be one in every B.O.B.

The other side of it, though, is in a true SHTF situation, at least for a while, I feel you'd be better off 'acquiring' from abandoned cars. There will be plenty, and they are so much easier to deal with.
edit on 14-6-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

to add to that note, A flat head screwdrive and hammer to the bottom of an Abandoned cars fuel tank will make things faster than pumping gas from the top.

edit on 14-6-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good to know if ever there's a SHTF scenario and you come upon a deserted gas station and you need to fill up your car or a couple of jerrycans. That would probably be a last resort though. I would most likely search abandoned vehicles first and things like that.

Some stations could have a back-up power source to operate the pumps when there's an outage, but that's probably just a short term option it would run pretty fast.

Maybe someone who knows the basic workings of these pumps could "hack" it, hook it up to a portable power supply to try and make the pump work?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I would just like to add: .. .

My scenario makes use of a Fire Engine.

I don't know if anyone gets that or not.

The pump on a fire engine is pretty damn powerful and during a SHTF scenario easy to obtain.

Although you will need to reduce the hose on the running end of the Inlet to fit into the fuel tank.

So basically, you pull the Fire Engine up to your local Swap and Shop Save, run your hose into the tank and secure it to the inlet pump. .. Viola. .

P.S. . .. to those that don't know ... Make Damn sure that you have already pumped all of the water out of the engines holding tank. This will eliminate future issues.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by Gazrok

I would just like to add: .. .

My scenario makes use of a Fire Engine.

I don't know if anyone gets that or not.

The pump on a fire engine is pretty damn powerful and during a SHTF scenario easy to obtain.

Although you will need to reduce the hose on the running end of the Inlet to fit into the fuel tank.

So basically, you pull the Fire Engine up to your local Swap and Shop Save, run your hose into the tank and secure it to the inlet pump. .. Viola. .

P.S. . .. to those that don't know ... Make Damn sure that you have already pumped all of the water out of the engines holding tank. This will eliminate future issues.

Wouldnt you run risk of pressure build up with that kind of pump and tank?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have to add the tidbit of diesel information here.....
A diesel will run just fine on the oil you cook fish and chips with....and diesel exhaust never smelled so good either......
So dont forget such possibilities to use as combsutibles.....
Achohol can substitute for gasoline in some cases....
Cerainly mixing these and other fillers into your available fuel will stretch them further, or get you out of a jam possibly.....
It would be well to study thds as there are all kinds of things that can be thrown in with what gasoline or diesel you have in your supplies
One should have an idea what they are doing however, as some engine damage or perhaps heating problems may also develope with some products....
The ultimate may be the armys engine which runs on just about anything from diesel to avgas or bacon grease....
though probably a fuel hog, it can burn anything.

I also seem to recall hearing of running cars by burning the fumes from making charcoal?
anyone hear tell...its some kind of ww2 trick....???
The story goes you make a firepot with a sealed chamber above it to place wood or coal in
then light a fire beneath it
When the wood or coal cooks in the sealed chamber....the resulting gases are bled off to run the engine???
Correct me if this is a urban ledgend but it sounds sort of logical.....

I can remember granfpas farm with the windmill generator, and the huge concrete battery tanks which held lead sheets and acid to store the farms power needs.....He built the whole rig....
It was all independant of the powerlines, simple, and fool proof............ and gramps made the lead sheets from old tire weights, and roof jacks , and the worn out ones remelted too.....etc....
edit on 14-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Probably better off with a Horse.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

In a SHTF scenario like the OP presented there is no more "legal or not legal", there is only survival and you do what you need to do to stay alive.

You don't have to become a murdering psycho or a [snipped] dealer (??), but you may have to do minor things that were once considered illegal before SHTF, like stealing fuel from abandoned places.
edit on Fri Jun 14 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Probably better off with a Horse.
Eventually, maybe. There is A LOT of gas in this country, and for a person that knows what they are doing, there will be plenty of abandoned cars to choose from.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar

In a SHTF scenario like the OP presented there is no more "legal or not legal", there is only survival and you do what you need to do to stay alive.

You don't have to become a murdering psycho or a METH dealer (??), but you may have to do minor things that were once considered illegal before SHTF, like stealing fuel from abandoned places.

I doubt those petrol stations will be abandoned.

Plus when it comes to countrys that dont have firearmes in every house the only way you will survive is makeing one usefull to the local gangs that will take control.
edit on 14-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Perhaps there are likelier allies, and more pertinent skills such as paramedical training, rough dentistry,(ie extractions)
.....There would be thousands of grateful customers almost immediately with all the malnourishment going on....
Then theres the knowledge of making not only explosives, but the chemicals wcich are their precursors....ie nitric acid...where to "find" saltpetres.....
Guncotton is made with cotton and nitric acid......further refinements are entirely possible with crude methods etc....
Substitute propellants exist to gunpowder....even torn off matchbook heads when saved up are very useful chemicals....
EVERYTIME.............................................Knowledge is key to survival..........................................

Staying awake may also be a handy capability at times too......

If you are going to survive, you have got to aquire a college degrees worth of information....or pool it with somebody.....

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I have to add the tidbit of diesel information here.....
A diesel will run just fine on the oil you cook fish and chips with....and diesel exhaust never smelled so good either......
So dont forget such possibilities to use as combsutibles.....
Achohol can substitute for gasoline in some cases....
Cerainly mixing these and other fillers into your available fuel will stretch them further, or get you out of a jam possibly.....
It would be well to study thds as there are all kinds of things that can be thrown in with what gasoline or diesel you have in your supplies
One should have an idea what they are doing however, as some engine damage or perhaps heating problems may also develope with some products....
The ultimate may be the armys engine which runs on just about anything from diesel to avgas or bacon grease....
though probably a fuel hog, it can burn anything.

I also seem to recall hearing of running cars by burning the fumes from making charcoal?
anyone hear tell...its some kind of ww2 trick....???
The story goes you make a firepot with a sealed chamber above it to place wood or coal in
then light a fire beneath it
When the wood or coal cooks in the sealed chamber....the resulting gases are bled off to run the engine???
Correct me if this is a urban ledgend but it sounds sort of logical.....

I can remember granfpas farm with the windmill generator, and the huge concrete battery tanks which held lead sheets and acid to store the farms power needs.....He built the whole rig....
It was all independant of the powerlines, simple, and fool proof............ and gramps made the lead sheets from old tire weights, and roof jacks , and the worn out ones remelted too.....etc....

its called a gasafire

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

If you are going to survive, you have got to aquire a college degrees worth of information....or pool it with somebody.....

Im safe then! I wont murder put I will sell my knowalge to the highest bider!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join