Plastic Could Protect Astronauts from Deep-Space Radiation

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I did a search and nothing came up.
Plastic shielding could help protect astronauts from harmful radiation on long journeys through deep space, new observations from a NASA moon probe suggest.
An instrument aboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) found that plastic reduces the radiation dose from fast-moving charged particles called galactic cosmic rays. Scientists have long suspected that this is the case, but the new results provide a vital confirmation in deep space, researchers said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
That is really cool...but....

I am afraid we still are ultra-far away from figuring out how to block cosmic rays 100% entirely. Which is a very important technological step in our quest for the fully fledged "True Quantum Computer".

For space travel though we only need to block a % of the rays to keep humans DNA protected while on deep space missions.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This is a huge confirmation of a discovery though actually IMHO.
So thanks for sharing it.
edit on 14-6-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Polyethylene plastic shielding has been used on the International Space Station for at least 10 years now. However, even though the ISS's polyethylene shielding provides some protection to get radiation levels down to a relatively acceptable level, radiation levels are still higher than they want them to be. While radiation risks have been minimized somewhat by using the plastic shielding on the ISS, there is still a risk.

I know that they were applying the ideas behind the polyethylene shielding to engineer other plastics materials to try to produce a better plastic shield, so this new stuff may be the culmination of those studies.

It would be great if this material in the OP works out, an can help to provide a lightweight and highly effective shield.

edit on 6/14/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
That is really cool...but....

I am afraid we still are ultra-far away from figuring out how to block cosmic rays 100% entirely. Which is a very important technological step in our quest for the fully fledged "True Quantum Computer".

For space travel though we only need to block a % of the rays to keep humans DNA protected while on deep space missions.

Roll on these deep space missions

It's quite a poetic thought that plastic could be the key to keeping us safer on a journey to another planet after all the bitching done about it destroying ours here

join