It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benefit Fraud - I'm in the Line of Fire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I thought my recent encounter with a benefit fraudster might amuse some of you - especially the part about me getting my ass bitten for no apparent reason.

I will remain proffessional and keep all personal details to my self - however I would like to share the general gist of the story.

I currently work for a company administrating the UK's The Work Programme (alot can be said about the programme indeed!).

Anyway, about 2 months ago a co-worker of mine happened to nip into one of her local pubs to find one of our long term clients working behind the bar. The client in question was shocked and scared to see my co-worker there and informed my co-worker 'Oh I'm just helping out - I don't get paid but I do get a free meal" and proceeded to give my co-worker a free drink.

My co-worker informed the client that as long as it was minimal, and she has the genuine intention of signing off, we wouldn't create any issue's for her. (we all try to be fair).

However, the pub in question also happens to be MY local (2 minutes from my home) and when my co-worker informed me which client it was, kept my eye's peeled for sign of her whilst I was in their for recreational use.

I happened to realise what member of staff it was, and found it amusing because she has been working there for several years.

I returned to work and informed my co-worker of the fact she has worked there for several years. My co-worker was not best pleased as this amounts to benefit fraud on a HUGE scale.

The office contacted the client and informed her we knew the truth and there were only two options:

1) Sign off and work legit.
2) Leave work and sign on legit.

Anyway over the last 4 weeks we had the client on the phone constantly spewing all sorts of BS - but eventually agreed last week to sign off and begin working officially. The client gave us the employment details - great.

The next step then (which happens to be my job) is to confirm the employment WITH the employer.

That morning however, the client called again to inform us she is leaving the country and the employers are all on holiday - therefore it is useless trying to contact the employer or her self from then on.

I rang the pub from work and asked for the employer - there was a bit of confusion on the other end, and the staff member returned and said the employer was abroad.

I thought that was odd as I had been drinking in the presence of the employer the night before. So my manager gave me permission to call in the pub as a member of staff, and obtain the confirmation (which we can legally do).

So that night at 9.15pm, on my way home I called in the pub to find it empty apart from the employer and the client in question.

I bought my self a half pint and went to the back of the room in order to wait for the client to leave - as it was only the employer I needed to talk to.

When the client left I approached the landlord and introduced my self from my work place and asked him if could confirm the employment. He stuttered and stmbled and denied his own identity to begin with (I had to laugh because I have known him for 5 months), then he agreed he was who I said he was (lulz) then he denied knowing the client by name. He said "Who's ******* ******"... I had to laugh again and say "The lady that has just this second left the pub"...

Anyway - He denied knowing her, let alone employing her - and he kept asking me if I worked for the government. I informed him I didn't work for the government, but I am contracting for the DWP.

The encounter with my local landlord was awkward to say the least.

Anyway, this morning at the office the client rings up and informs my co-worker "The employer has now agreed to admit that he know's me and is employing me, but he doesn't want that girl back in the pub"..

So yea, because I had a job to do I am now barred from MY local pub.

I have been advised that if I am barred over this issue - I shall report the client to the DWP and I shall report the pub to the HRMC.

This sucks - I want a pint!! lol.

edit on 14-6-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Silly Landlord for not following the rules of employment...
Just to point out though he can bar anyone he wants as long as it is not to do with your sex,race etc.
I have ran pubs and barred countless people, a few because I frankly did not want them in my pub (known drug dealers etc). I never gave a reason why I barred them when I did I just said "nope you are barred get out or I call the police" many asked why? I just said don't have to give a reason get out.
My pub in London was so funny though as a northerner some people tried taking the mickey out of my accent so I just barred them lol. So the mickey taking stopped sharpish.
I have seen many landlords back down to people and get afraid that is when the customers start running the pub.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Silly Landlord for not following the rules of employment...
Just to point out though he can bar anyone he wants as long as it is not to do with your sex,race etc.
I have ran pubs and barred countless people, a few because I frankly did not want them in my pub (known drug dealers etc). I never gave a reason why I barred them when I did I just said "nope you are barred get out or I call the police" many asked why? I just said don't have to give a reason get out.
My pub in London was so funny though as a northerner some people tried taking the mickey out of my accent so I just barred them lol. So the mickey taking stopped sharpish.
I have seen many landlords back down to people and get afraid that is when the customers start running the pub.

Yea, that's the sucky thing - I have no rights

It wouldn't bother me - except it IS my local lol.

I'm going to call in over the weekend and see his reaction - if he isn't agreeable.. I swear I'll raise hell! aha.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

I'm kind of shocked that they gave the person the choice to either sign off or stop working and no mention was made of them paying back the money they had obtained fraudulently in the first place. I would assume that would be a matter of routine when benefit fraud was discovered.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I'm kind of shocked that they gave the person the choice to either sign off or stop working and no mention was made of them paying back the money they had obtained fraudulently in the first place. I would assume that would be a matter of routine when benefit fraud was discovered.

Oh yea - After the treatment I've got, I have every mind to grass em up! Another co-worker has just advised me that if I do grass em up - leave it a few weeks as I may give my company a bad name.

My manager is absent today - Maybe she can advise me better come Monday

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I don't understand how the employer is involved and was denying it. Unless somehow he benefited from the fraud. So is there a racket going on where people are lured into work for less wages, sub wages, because they're on assistance?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Is that actually part of your work? I mean, when you go home at night, or to the pub, are you supposed to still be doing your job? Do you get commission if you catch a fraudster, like traffic wardens have quotas, (or whatever it is they have).

Just curious.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

They were probably being employed "cash in hand" so the employer doesnt have tax or national insurance for the employee. It's illegal to do that.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Unity_99

They were probably being employed "cash in hand" so the employer doesnt have tax or national insurance for the employee. It's illegal to do that.

That's correct.

And to answer the Widget about my working out of hours - I was just doing it as a favor. The Clients advisor or my manger would usually make the visit - but I live round the corner - hence my visit.

I haven't gone out of my way to catch the fraudster - but as it was happening right under my nose - why not aye?
edit on 14-6-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

My mate works at the dole office and one day while having a round of Golf he took his phone out taking photos of the guy in front of us, apparently the guy was wheelchair bound and claiming all the benefits for disability etc.
He was a great golfer but a rubbish benefit cheat lol.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So you want to ruin some one's life because they are earning a few quid on the side?

And you go out of your way, in your own time to do so.

Nice,

That's right punish the poor.

I hope you are 100% a law abiding citizen

No speeding, no unpaid parking tickets, no littering and i hope your tax and expenses are all above board

Because as we all know

What goes around comes around.

Sleep well.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

We're talking large scale benefit fraud - years worth of housing - is that moral?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Sorry dude but we all pay for that person cheating, what about the people who need that money for real? that money could be put to better use.
OP good on you helping catch a person who is cheating the system.
Iam poor have got four quid on me to last til next weekend, I could goto the dole office and cheat but I will not.
edit on 15-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The whole system is immoral

If you added up all the benefit fraud in one year it wouldn't amount to one% of all the tax evasion which is carried out by so called moral people

So as i said pick on the poor.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

So you think if this person wasn't cheating/playing the system other peoples benefit would increase?

If people were not being forced to accept part time minimum wage jobs which means they have to claim tax credits

Then maybe there wouldn't be as much fraud.

top topics

join