It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING- US says it will give military aid to Syria rebels

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

US says it will give military aid to Syria rebels

www.bbc.co.uk

The US is to supply direct military aid to the Syrian opposition for the first time, the White House has announced.

President Obama made the decision after his administration concluded Syrian forces under Bashar al-Assad were using chemical weapons, a spokesman said.

Ben Rhodes did not give details about the military aid other than to say it would be "different in scope and scale to what we have provided before"
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-6-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well this one made me spit out my morning coffee, US Intelligence has confirmed that Assad has crossed obama's "Red line" (always a stupid comment) So whats Obama going to do about, give them all more guns to start killing each other with. This week it was also announced that the death toll in Syria is nearly 100,000 and Obama thinks giving them more guns is the solution!

you hear that,

right there,

Obama's biggest foreign policy mistake, backing himself and American against a wall.

This from the Telegraph

If any issue has exposed the Obama administration's weakess on the world stage, it is the Syrian crisis. From the moment the first anti-government protestors took to the streets two years ago, President Barack Obama has appeared like a startled rabbit caught in the glare of a major international crisis.

Rather than seeing the explosion of political dissent in Syria as a golden opportunity to rid the world of a ruthless and brutal dictatorship that has been actively hostile to American interests in the region for more than four decades, Mr Obama was seized by a fit of inaction. According to his reasoning, supporting the rebels might draw the US into another costly war which would outweigh the benefit of removing the Assad gang.

oh and it gets even better because it looks like good O'l Dave Cameron is also biting at the bit to get some more Blood on his hands in Syria.

We do [share the US judgment]. I discussed this with President Obama on my recent visit. Our intelligence agencies have been sharing information. We share their view that, as we put it, growing levels of information about chemical weapons used by the regime and no firm evidence that chemical weapons have been used by the opposition.

"I welcome this candid assessment by the Americans. I think it, rightly, puts back centre stage the question, the very difficult question to answer but nonetheless one we have got to address: what are we going to do about the fact that in our world today there is a dictatorial and brutal leader who is using chemical weapons under our noses against his own people."

Members may recall a couple of weeks ago i posted that France had confirmed Chemical Weapons in Syria and writing about Obama's failing foreign policy so really this was only a matter of time, Obama had to do something at some point.

Yes something needs to be done about Syria to stop the killing but giving them more guns to kill each other is not the solution. If anything this is just going to mean that the Rebels start killing of more of Assad's forces making him ever more desperate making him use more chemical weapons.

anyone else think we should start a ATS countdown to Libya 2.

Nothing like a good old war as well to distract from a political scandal at home either.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Obama is really playing all his cards at once now that he has been exposed for what he really is. This is just completely sickening that he would directly aid these rebels who have repeatedly been proven to commit psychopathic atrocities. This is the last straw for me, Obama has now lost any ounce of respect I may have once had for him.

Data on chemical arms use by Syria's Assad fabricated: Russian MP
The Problem With White House Claim of the Chemical Use By Assad Force
edit on 14/6/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
They BOTH commit atrocities, that is the #ty part. Lose-Lose situation.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

yup he has just screwed up totally with Syria

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well, there is a saying that goes it should be better to do the wrong thing rather than doing nothing at all, but... idk personal experience has taught me that is a load of BS. This is going to be a # pickle. Thankfully, We said the same thing with Lybia, and that turned out alright.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

These guys are worse than the government forces...

U.S. Backed – FSA Rebels Massacre an Entire Christian Village in Syria... They torture, they behead and they rape.... oh and they hate the west too.. Seems like a stupid move to me..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'm so confused on what is he trying to accomplish here.

The man has really lost all clear signs of good judgment.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

yup that's the other problem we have three sides in Syria

Assad.

FSA.

Terrorists

the last two in that list we know have been working together, we know that there are lots of elements within the FSA who have committed horrible human rights abuses (as has Assad), I wrote a thread on it and its really quite shocking.

like i said in my OP all Obama is really doing is giving them more means to kill each other. If he was going to act he should have done it months ago or not atoll

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6

when he said that chemical weapons would be his "red line", he backed himself into a very bad place whereby if it was proven that chemical weapons were being used he would have to act otherwise his threat would have been a empty one.

so now that the French have proved that Chemical weapons have been used and so have the Americans now in addition to the strong fight back of Assad's forces he basically has to do something because so far he has been all talk and no action.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Eeerrrr, Its not as if we dont have enough crap on our plate right now.

I know people say history repeats its self , or that it rhymes so how many times are we going to keep making these mistakes. Its almost as if they are just trying to overload us with stuff to be mad about so we just cant compute everything going on.

My biggest question is, whats the $price$ tag on this, because im sure some public education or public programs could use an extra buck or two in these rough times.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Is anyone concerned about what the Russians are saying about this? There's something about the dollar dropping by more than 50 cents compared to the kopec???? "Доллар упал на 54 копейки"
edit on 14-6-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
The same Syrian rebels who align themselves with Al Qaeda, and slaughtered a bunch of children the other day for religious reasons?

This is madness.

People of the world, our government has gone rogue.

The military needs to say enough is enough, because the people here on the mainland are still too drunk with privilege to do anything about it.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

woulda coulda shoulda, whatever disagreement you had is a moot point once the head honcho makes the decision.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
Is anyone concerned about what the Russians are saying about this? There's something about the dollar dropping by more than 50 cents compared to the kopec???? "Доллар упал на 54 копейки"
edit on 14-6-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

they will probably have a bit of a moan about it but nothing more.

its not like they have much of a leg to stand on chastising the west for supporting the rebels when they have been sending Assad guns and god knows what else since before this civil war even started.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6

I don't think he ever had any signs of good judgement ... only signs of agenda.
Someone want to try to show me the difference between Obama and McCain?
Good luck with that. :shk:

Assad is bad. The rebels are bad. Al-Qaida is bad.
Russia backs Assad which is bad. We back the rebels which is bad.
It's all bad. None of us should be there.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

My thoughts too.This is why I wish I could just avoid political matters-this is downright depressing.I can't say I'm surprised by this news though.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

Your post is incomprehensible. What's your argument?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

And here we go. I've stumbled over to liveleak and watched some videos coming out of Syria. Honestly, it's hard to tell which side you'd want to support if either, intervention should have been the first step. Getting rid of a dictator like the despot on Syria would have been a bold and beneficial move for Obama. But handing the country over to the rebels isn't the answer, they are just as bad if not worse but for the technology than Assad.

so how many conflicts need to be going on at once before the whole thing implodes in our faces? 4? 5? 6?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

you have to follow chain of command, those guys are in the military right? I'd rather they get deployed to Syria then, say, New York in some SHTF scenario that you're talking about.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join