Questions about Curiosity's cameras and the self-portrait answered

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Many people wonder why some cameras on Curiosity are black&white, why image resolution is low, whether it can take videos, or how does it take self-portraits. This new video answers those questions:

Curiosity is at Point Lake on Mars and will snap pictures to send home. Find out more about the rover's 17 cameras, including why some shoot in color and others others take black-and-white images.

Source: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Regarding the self-portrait, I made a couple of images that show how the robotic arm was out of shot for the two portions of the self-portrait:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
So they can take video, cool. Now people are going to want to know why they don't take video of the rocks that look like creatures to prove they aren't creatures (though they still look like rocks to me).

I didn't understand the point of those pictures you posted before I watched the video. After watching the video I think I understand why you posted them, though I'm still at a loss why anyone would expect the robotic arm to be in every picture. Once we know the self-portrait is a composite image that should mostly answer the question about how the self-portrait was made, but the video animation of how that is done is helpful.

Thanks for sharing.

new topics

join