It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Elections: Iranians Vote for the Islamic Republic’s Next President (live updates)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You all need to pay attention...it's free. It matters.

live.reuters.com...

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei urged a large turnout in presidential elections on Friday, and said he did not "give a damn" about U.S. suggestions that the ballot was unfair.

edit on 13-6-2013 by shockedamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I hate to sound cynical here ....and I do admire Iran's ability to maintain a multi-branch and truly diverse power structure in the midst of so many nations where a single man rules the entire nation and that's that. However, I'm thinking the story says there are 50,483,192 eligible voters. That means...by my rough figuring and math here.... The Ayatollah's vote counts for 50,483,193. Right?

It will be interesting to see who got the nod and blessing though. As I recall, things got pretty rough with attempts to protest on the last one when people felt a little screwed over the outcome.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

To clarify when I said it's free and it matters I meant 'paying attention'.

edit on 14-6-2013 by shockedamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Is the Ayatollah the Only one running. .. .. ?

I am not up to speed on their politics.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

The Ayatollah in Iran's system is something like the power above the power. They have a multi Branch Government system, much like the U.S. actually. That might surprise some people...except of course for the theocracy aspect and that has no comparison here. The whole thing is really pretty interesting to learn about when compared to how it's done in the West.

Iranian Political System - Flow Chart and Details

I wouldn't call the basic idea and organization better or worse. Just different. Aside from some of the personalities involved, it seems to work for them well enough to tolerate, anyway. (about like us...lol)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Thank you Wrabbit.

Very informational.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Is the Ayatollah the Only one running. .. .. ?

I am not up to speed on their politics.

Yeah, I was wondering who was ruining er running the country too

oops, hit the "i" instead of the "n" my bad
edit on 14-6-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by greatfriendbadfoe

I wonder who is "ruining" the mexicarian nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

So Wrabbit,

Maybe I should have learned this during the Iran Hostage Crisis but, from looking at that chart, am I safe to assume that the Ayatollah is the Identical Twin to the Pope?

500 Years ago Countries had a King, But, it was the Pope that seemed to have the power. He didn't make the Rule, but, his advices were strictly adhered to.

Is that about the same?

By the way, interesting chart. I had never known that their politics were so involved. It is really not something you learn on the evening news.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

The precise level of power the Ayatollah has to the Shia people is something you'd be better asking a Shia Muslim about that you trust to be up front and just sincere. I'd spent long nights talking to someone from here, as it happened, as she shared details about her Shia Faith and I, my Wiccan Faith. It was a fair trade I think and I got at least as much out of it as she did. The reason I say this though is that in comparing to the Pope? That's the inner workings of the Shia side of Islam that I was never 100% clear on. She tried to explain it a couple times, but for some reason, I kept getting a bit lost when it became more than just him with the Elders in Qom.

I'll tell you this though, I learned a heck of a lot about the whole Sunni/Shia war within the war we all see from the West. There is one. A very serious and very long running war within this war ...and I'm not at all sure we're on the right side of it where that's concerned. That's a whole different thread tho and could easily fill one itself.

I think the worst thing I could do is go talking confidently in a direction I'm not confident with and end up being wrong. Whatever some around here say about Islam, I came to respect it through those chats. I'm very comfortable in my own Faith..it's not that. Respect though? Yes... Definitely. The news dumbs it down so badly, we could fill libraries with what they don't figure we need to be bothered with knowing.

new topics

top topics

join