Folks from Australia, I wanna know - Whats wrong with Fosters?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I just came across this;list of bad tasting cheap beers ( in the US) and Fosters are on it. www.collegehappenings.com...

I see some odd comments because most folks i know generally consider fosters good beer.. well at least not that bad as say should not be put in the same class as Shaefer, Schlitz or Milwaukee's Best.

Here are some Aussie comments.

I’d just like to say NO self-respecting Australian would drink Fosters. It’s a cheap, crap beer, true enough. But it is NOT “Australian for beer”, as touted by the ads. It is a national embarrassment! It’s availability is very limited in Australia and it is manufactured mainly for export. On a slightly more cheery note, if you want a decent Aussie beer, try Cascade Premium.

Words by Hugz on September 15, 2008 at 2:12 am | #
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hahahahaha… ha.. ha… Fosters… Australian for Beer… we don’t even drink that #!

Fosters is a joke from Australia to the rest of the world, we keep the good beer here!

Words by Acrobat on September 15, 2008 at 2:42 am | #
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And what is with listing Fosters? It is an above-premium import. My only beef is that it is brewed at the old Molson breweries in Canada- “Marketed as Australian for Beer”

Words by Red Icculus on September 15, 2008 at 3:14 am | #
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dead give away for Fosters is that fact that very few people in Australia actually drink it, and if the Aussies won’t drink it then it has to be bad. Also worth mentioning are some of the UK’s low budget/high strength beers, in particular a valuable addition to this list would be Carlsberg Special Brew. Not sure if you get it in the States, but suffice to say it tastes like someone’s already drunk it once, but it’s cheap and weighs in at about 8% I think. Nasty stuff.

Words by Bransby on September 15, 2008 at 3:16 am | #

Do you guys really feel this way?

For Us, Fosters is still O.k. because it tastes different than most American beers. I will admit at 3 cans of 24.4 ounce cans of either green 5.5 percent alcohol or the regular proof 24.4 Oz blue can for 5 bucks is Cheap but it doesn't taste Cheap like our Cheap American beers Shaefer, Schlitz or Milwaukee's Best.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm a Brit, but I have just returned back to the UK after 4 years on Australia and I can honestly say that I never saw any Fosters on sale anywhere......Australians don't drink Fosters, but Fosters sells well in the UK, even though it tastes like urine, like the rest of the pee they sell over there in Oz....

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Fosters is definitely not a great beer and DOES NOT represent Australian beer....because they don't sell it or market it here as Fosters.

I believe here it's actually called Crown Lager....and Crown Lager isn't that good.

Those comments are deserved.
edit on 13-6-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well I think I should know about this one.

Fosters.

It's insipid plastic tasting swill. It's vile. In terms of taste it is bland, lacking, and unpalatable. There is no redeeming quality in it's watery, offensive to the taste bud, carbonated being.

It might sound hyperbole, and I know of only 1 person who ever bought this, and tried to give it to us, and he was from America. But not a single person I know can stomach the stuff.

It's easy to go flat, where it becomes nothing more than a slightly bitter wet polystyrene. It does not quench the thirst. It has no body to it. It's like drinking hot water on a hot day when you're thirsty.

It's alone in it's kind down here. We have other, tasteless futile beers, but they are aware of their shortcomings. We call them boutique beers, for the most part. The sort of beer that as soon as it hits your palate, your entire mouth realises something foreign has entered into it. Where you discover that the intention of continuing to drink, has now become a chore rather than the enjoyable evening you had anticipated.

Fosters trumps this in all aspects.

It is liquid plastic. It's the only way I can describe it. The by product of the petroleum industry. How two Americans in the early years came here and started it, and then it became known as an Australian Icon, has to be a long-troll. You can bet that back then, those two guys had troll-faces.

It... Is... Insidious.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
o.k. folks.. in the USA.. name a good Aussie beer

( that wont break the bank) I'll try it out.

winofiend .. your avatar looks like he just took a sip and agreed with your assessment.
edit on 13-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
"Australians wouldn't give a XXXX for anything else."

Slogan for Castlemaine XXXX

I liked the Paul Hogan (Fosters) adverts anyway and when it comes to beer, as long as it's 5% alcohol, I can't afford to be choosy.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Coopers pale ale is a good aussie beer, it has sediment floating around in it so it makes a good breakfast too.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Foster's isn't really Australian. It's made in the US by the MillerCoors Brewing Co, right beside Miller Lite and Milwaukee's Best. I've actually been to the Albany GA brewery many times, I used to be in the beer biz (it used to be brewed alongside Molson before the Miller+Coors merger). And these guys are right, it's worse than horse piss.
edit on 13-6-2013 by jokerzwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I've had Fosters and I don't like it. I've had beer all over the world. My favorite and what I order at the beach bars and clubs here is

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I've lived on the Gold Coast in Queensland all my life (I'm 23 so not that long I guess.. !) and I've never tried it. We are huge beer drinkers and prefer VB or Carlton Draught - not the most expensive beer but lovely to drink on a hot day!

But yeah, never tried the stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Coopers Pale Ale
Cascade Premium
James Boag Premium
Pure Blonde Premium
(Our Kiwi brethren's) Steinlager
Bluetongue Premium
Dry Dock

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Do you guys drink it ( the aussie) beers you mentioned or warm or cold?.. .

does that make a difference?

Oh BTW I am held unaccountable from all my replies because I am drinking Fosters. a lot of them

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ya know what Aussie's.. i just drank a lot of beer.. comparing Natural Light to Fosters is like going to heaven,

The Fosters is sweet like a Mexican beer.. Corona or Dos Equies. You can say all the bad you want about it but if you never had Milwaukee's Best or Shiefer you dont have nothing to compare it to.

Drink those then re-evaluate the Fosters.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Ya know what Aussie's.. i just drank a lot of beer.. comparing Natural Light to Fosters is like going to heaven,

The Fosters is sweet like a Mexican beer.. Corona or Dos Equies. You can say all the bad you want about it but if you never had Milwaukee's Best or Shiefer you dont have nothing to compare it to.

Drink those then re-evaluate the Fosters.

Your hands on approach to this investigation is inspiring

Do be careful though as to many Fosters will turn you into a Bogan.
www.urbandictionary.com

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Do you guys drink it ( the aussie) beers you mentioned or warm or cold?.. .

does that make a difference?

It is illegal to drink warm beer in Oz. Although they reckon a hot one, does the job of two cold ones.

When I was in the US I drank Bud. It seemed the least bad.
Until the day I discovered my then favourite brew - Coopers Sparkling Ale in LA.

Brewed in the bottle - no preservatives - 5.8% alcohol content with a fruity palate.
It doesn't have a "best before" date it has a "best after" date !

Definitely recommend you treat yourself to an ice cold one of these ... or six.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

or this ...
better beer

Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm no big beer fan. I could drink Fosters if it was ice cold, and with pizza, but that's about it.

If I had an Aussie guest over though, I'd put some Coopers in the fridge. Other friends like Strongbow (seems to be the biggest one in agreement) and Guinness Black or Michelob Ultra-Light.

All the beer in my fridge is pretty much geared for my friends, as I'm more of a hard liquor guy if I'm going to drink at all. We have a pretty well-stocked bar in the dining room, yet we rarely drink...but we do like to entertain.

I'm even building a bar in the mancave eventually, but it's really more about socializing, not liquor.
edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You talkin' bonded Beam, makers mark or malts ?

btw - strongbow is cider ( not that there is anything wrong with that ... ) !

Ed; Man Cave - argh grr rgh rgh ( in best Tim Allen voice )
edit on 14-6-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I just try and keep some decent brands of vodka, tequilla, rum, Scotch, Kahlua, different schnapps, gin, whiskey, amaretto, bourbon, brandy, etc., and anything else that strikes us (we often get some just for a cool bottle). Vodka seems to always end up being the one we have the most kinds of (Crystal Skull, Smirnoff, Grey Goose, different flavors, etc.). I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what we had at any given time. For planned entertaining, we examine and fill in the gaps. (and make sure we have OJ, grenadine, mixes, fruit, etc.).

I have a buddy that is a wine vendor, so we have plenty of wines over the years too, even though we aren't big wine drinkers. We have a small wine cage with about a dozen of the more expensive ones, and others under the bar. In the mancave, I'm going to build a small wine rack to hold more the proper way. (a branch of my family went to California, and make a wine, same name as my last name, so the wife and I get two vintages of each year we are married (one to keep, one to drink).

edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Sounds as though your good self and Mrs Gaz , are the consummate hosts.

But may I ask, do you have a - 'shrubbery' ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join