It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far do we go to protect one person and when does it stop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I just found this article about an upcoming travel to Africa by the Obama family which will cost us around $100M - Yeah $100 Million US Dollars. I couldn't believe that number either but it's more shocking that this is not the actual cost of this trip but the nominal cost of past trips by him and other presidents.

www.weeklystandard.com...

I understand that this is nothing unusual IF it would be a "business/government" trip, but it seems that this is a pure pleasure family vacation and I really question where the line needs to be drawn.

After doing some research it seems that Obama alone has a yearly allowance which trumped to 1.4 BILLION last year. That's a lot of money and for a career politician like Obama usually unreachable ..

dailycaller.com...

.. and if they suddenly have access to that kind of possibilities it's fair to say that they will never tread it respectfully like somebody who is self-made and developed the respect slowly over time over their achievements.

That's probably the reason why so many people have a hard time to understand how the heck a president can enjoy those privileges while at the same time half the country is split and one scandal after the next breaks out. There is a sense of entitlement expected from the very top which is transposed all the way down.

We all grant the president and his staff vacations but there needs to be limitation because right now it's just abused to the maximum and that hasn't started with Obama- that's for a long time now.

I know it probably has been discussed many times but I think it's important to keep this on the radar and show these little things on the daily bases and keep people aware of it.

edit on 13-6-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

"When President Obama makes his first extended trip to sub-Saharan Africa later this month, the federal agencies charged with keeping him safe won’t be taking any chances. Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of emergency," reports the Post

"Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet-proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

If it takes that much to 'protect a president' then I say there is something seriously wrong with that president.

When a leader has to hide behind thousands not a leader in my book.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Same with Bush..

www.politicususa.com...

you gotta protect your commander in chief.

Look how much ex presidents cost you.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 13-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It's really bad when the man has personally said things like this.

I agree with him for once........it's not leadership. Not a bit.

If he has things to attend to in Africa, a flight in and trip to the venue from the airport to a flight back out would be the logical way of handling what can't be done by V.R. or other high tech telecommunications. Given the destinations and budgets on that end, maybe an old fashioned secure telephone call would do.

A full blown, no expense spared blowout trip with the whole family? Well, to paraphrase him..... 'You can't just travel anywhere and do anything and expect the American people to be okay with it'.

Mirrors....there must not be any in the White House these days. (Come to think of it, in seeing pictures? naww.. there HAS to be some) He needs to gaze long and hard into one as he considers places to cut and save money during this time of national struggle.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

But to what degree?
I think its rather well established that:
- they're all the same, quite interchangable
- any time the Prez has previously been assasinated, the country didnt collapse

So... (and to any FBI agents reading, I pose this as a purely hypothetical question) would it actually matter if a President got killed every now and then?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Same with Bush..

Actually not the same with Bush as he actually did quite a bit for Africans.

FRom Bush's work in Africa don't think he would need to hide behind an army or 'bullet proof' glass.

www.dallasnews.com...
articles.washingtonpost.com...
abcnews.go.com...

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Same with Bush..

www.politicususa.com...

Look how much ex presidents cost you.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 13-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

With all due respect .. $4 million / year for all living Ex-Presidents VS 1200 Million spent only in one year is not a comparison but pure propaganda.

The first link is far away by the dimensions spent by Obama and no comparison either.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Also it's not really Bush VS Obama .. it's an overall issue that has started along time ago and it run out of control especially under Obama since he is the current president .. the next in 2016 might be even more spending.. it should stop right here and today.

The perks shouldn't be the reason you want to be president!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

Oh, gosh,

Talk about misleading title. He's the President of the United States so to answer your question, ten years after he leaves office.

lame.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

My guess is that the whole trip is really so he and the family can get a big PR group photo Op with Nelson Mandella before the old dude goes to meet his maker. BO didn't go with the wife and kiddies last time so he missed out on THAT photo Op. It will be all over the MSM- mark my words.

top topics

join