It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen allegedly bullied for being Canadian quits U.S. school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
Precisely. Why would two teachers risk their jobs by bullying a student in full view of a class room? It doesn't make sense. One odd case I could accept, but two?
Ummm...because they can always depend upon people like you to blame the victim?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Precisely. Why would two teachers risk their jobs by bullying a student in full view of a class room? It doesn't make sense. One odd case I could accept, but two?
reply to post by GrandStrategy

I find it odd two teachers were teasing him. I can understand how this kid could get distressed if the entire class started in on the teasing. If he was a special needs student, or was just plain naive, he could have taken the teasing to heart. Kids today are not thick skinned as years past. As a teacher, anything can be interpreted differently by a student, that's why it's important they should think before they speak. It's just not worth losing your job over.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

This was such a terrible thing to happen because you expect more from teachers. The teachers who made fun of him should be asked to leave and he asked to come back. Maybe just to maybe set a better example to the students. Some of them will listen to those bigoted teachers and get the idea it is OK when it's not OK at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by DrumsRfun

But yeah, kids are way too sensitive these days. That's one of the byproducts of telling them that they're all winners and should be proud of themselves when they accomplish nothing.

~Tenth

What if its evolution, what if these sensitive children are evolving faster than others, imagine what KIND of a world it would be like if everyone evolves to this standard

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I don't know why this kid is so offended and why other people think he has reason to be. Teachers made jokes about clubbing seals and commies, oh wow the bloody inhumanity of it all! This kid is going to fall apart in the real world. Complete bull#. This generation of kids are frighteningly fragile.
reply to post by GrandStrategy

I can understand your sentiments, but even in the real world there are people you don't dare joke with or prank with. Teachers should know their students, and who can or can not accept joking or teasing. Teachers are vulnerable to legal actions, that's why it's so important that teachers take precautions in what they say and do.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think people have strange ideas about what school is for.

I do not expect teachers to be bullying anybody, i do not expect them to make derogatory comments about the nationality of pupils.
Teachers are there to educate not to pass judgement.

It's not fragile of a child to feel attacked by people in a position of authority.
If you were talking about other students you may have a point but not a teacher.
I teach my kids to respect their teacher, but maybe somebody needs to teach these idiots to respect their pupils.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Wow, I can't believe the people here that think this is okay.

How much class time is being spent on singling out this one kid? How much of this spills over into the rest of this kid's day, worrying about other students and whether they'll chime in?

How is this in any way appropriate behavior for an adult in charge of the education and welfare of a group of students? And the parents paid extra for this over their school tax money?

Any teacher who would participate let alone instigate this kind of thing should never be in a position of power over children. Maybe someone should club him/her over the head.

Do any of you realize that this bullying ends up creating Columbine-like scenarios? Or that while you're telling some other kid in your child's school to 'buck up and take it, don't be a wimp', they could quite possibly be amassing an arsenal in their room and plotting revenge against your 'non-wimpy' bullying kid?

What part of 'I was physically and psychologically abused as a kid in school and I turned out fine' do you not realize is insane?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

The fact that this garbage came out of the Teachers mouth is disgusting. Those teachers should be fired and tenur taken for arrogance and ignorrance. Then ship them to Canada so they know what's it all a boot...

Minus the little 1 liner joke, in all seriousness. The bullying is being seen more by people in authority and they wonder why our children do this?

They are lucky that Canadian didn't bring in his bacon launcher and create another school baconning.

Canadain bacon get it??? Waka waka~?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It's not just one way,and its not just kids being overly sensitive .
I would guess the teachers were just teasing ,but even so ,they're the adults in the equasion .
The mother should have complained to the school first ,and if it continued ,then taken more drastic action .

The only time I was ever discriminated against because of my nationality ,American ,was in Japan ,and the people doing it ,were canadians .
Yes really .
It was for the world Aikido tournament at the Budokan .
I met people from all over the world ,and there was one group of Canadians who were so nasty to me ,I was stunned .
Not only was I American ,I was from New York . They acted like I had horns and a tail . They were also much older than I was. I was in ny late 20s,and they were in their 60s.
They were heads of Canadian aikido schools .
The had seniority over me in that sense ,and actually kept me from competeing in a few of the matches with their students.
On and on ,AMERICAN ,NEW YORK ,HORRIBLE .
And this was the 90s folks . There was no weird sigma attached to New York like there is now .Mostly because of our politicians .

Thing is ,my sensei ,the owners of the NEW YORK AIKIKAI ,*coughs* ,in Manhattan ,set up their trip to go and be in the tournament .
So I'm one of his students,and the only reason they are even there is because of him ,and they're ragging on me.
What I did was,tell them in no uncertain terms ,back off,or I will tell sensei what you're doing to one of his students,and see if you ever get in here again .
They started buying me gifts after that .....

I chalked it off to a few bad individuals ,but I dont get this when it happens .
Given how closely related we are ,ridicule in either direction ,is just uncalled for .

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What? I can't believe TEACHERS would be so cruel.
I thought Canadians were pretty damn awesome.
I mean I have met a few, awesome fellas. Drank me under the table.

Edit to say..

Canadians... before you get all mad and upset at Americans.. I'll just have you know... that the majority of us like you hockey players. and.... I dig some Molson beer.
oh and I'm trying to learn Quebecois for my job...
edit on 14-6-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Word Teacher stands for teaching, grooming kids to suck it up in more ways than one; i see.

It shouldnt be acceptable by anyone that a teacher harasses one of its studens. Jesses christ People.

Do this to the right kid and s/he might just bring a gun to fix the issue. I gues People have to Accept to suck up some bullets as well.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My son was always being bullied and we just couldn't do anything about it with the school cause they kept ignoring the problem...That is until I told the school staff taht from now on...My kid will fight back....Took a whole day to get a call from the school telling me that my son had gotten in to a fight and had bbroke one kids nose....LOL...Just happen to be the same kid that always picked on him, pushed him arround and smaked him upside the head every chance he got. Well...That day my son got a smack from the bully and the bully got a broken noze....LMAO....Funny enough...my son has NEVER been bullied since...Hell, that bully kid...He even respects my son now....lmao....Gotta love human nature !!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Monger

This bullying garbage is really dumb and politically correct garbage.

I did a poll today that asked about bullying....my answer was kids are too sensitive these days.
That would be just another day at school for me in my day.

Spoken like a true bully. Justify, deflect and rationalize negative behavior. At what point does a person have their right to their space both physical and audible?

edit on 14-6-2013 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

in a loud voice and whilst other people where around , he should have asked the teacher why are you hitting on me ? are you a pervert ? . this is a question not a statement but i would guarantee that the teacher would avoid any further contact with this pupil .

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Exactly what I'm thinking. Stand up to a teach and tell the to shut the "F" up then he'll get expelled for standing up to bullying...see a pattern. Stand up to bullying and pay the price.

I've seen some pretty tough kids break down because of verbal bullying. It's almost like brain washing. After awhile of being treated like you're nothing you start believing it after a while.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Just goes to show the intellectual level of these teachers, and lack there of.

Maybe this explains the reason why the American school system is at the bottom of the list worldwide when it comes to academic grade levels and its failing curriculum... Not to mention the number of mentally disturbed American kids and how many of them are gunning down their teachers and fellow students. Or how many Americans can't even point out a foreign country on a map. Or how many Americans watch Jerry Springer like it's a documentary.

Aw shucks, don't take offense folks... I'm just "ribbing" you.
It's all in fun, right ?

No harm, no foul.

... and now back to playing with hockey pucks and drinking Molson beer.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
MOST OF YOU POSTERS ON THIS THREAD SICKEN ME...(can you hear me yell!)

I cannot see how taunting someone with garbage and lies about their country is anything but bullying!!!

It is a sad reflection on our society that anyone should blame a victim, especially a child, for being bullied - and bullied by an adult no less! I can tell you what being bullied by a teacher can do to a child...It happened to mine!

You are no better than those backward, religious fanatics from those underdeveloped countries so widely discussed here. You know, the ones who advocate the killing and raping of girls and women because they have been somehow defiled by another person(s) Effing sick, if you ask me!!! Shame on the lot of you!

Country and politics aside....this is not acceptable ANYWHERE! It is no wonder bullying continues to exist and people (especially kids) have been driven by it to off themselves because of it!!!

Why don't you all "grow a backbone" and get your heads out of the sand! Stand up an fight against this kind of travesty!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What is the point of this anti-bullying fad anyways? Do they want the death penalty to be the punishment for bullying or something?

I mean, get a grip. Bullying is a part of life. I'm not happy it is, but humans are semi-predatory creatures and it will take centuries of social evolution for us to become completely cooperative. If someone is treating you badly, ask for help and if not than give them a taste of their own medicine. I'm not an advocate of revenge but sometimes it's the only language a bully will understand. They might even change their behaviour and end up friends with you.

Case by case though. Some bullies are cowards and gain respect for you if you fight back but others have no fear and will just attack you more.
edit on 14-6-2013 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
What is the point of this anti-bullying fad anyways?
The point is to make bullying socially unacceptable. It starts with refusing to accept it, eh? There...now you can be part of the change, too. Glad you asked.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

I blame the kid and society as a whole. If you dont stand up for yourself, people get the wrong impression. You have to make them aware that youre not okay with them bullying you. We all like to play around and say things like this, and some people.can take it, but others seem to take it so well that we think they want to be made fun of. I dont think the teachers were.being intentionally hurtful, I think they were trying to have fun with the kid and.got.carried.away and didnt realize it. I blame the kid for putting up with it to the point that it got carried.away, but I also blame the government for.disempowering individuals to make them afraid to stand up for.themselves. The teachers were just trying to have fun, I think, and I dont see anything wrong with that. Sure they took it too far, but I think that was an accident. The kid should have grown some.balls. If you dont say something, how is anyone supposed to know. Unless you want to take all the fun out of school. That just sounds like more governing to me, and therefore, would only add to the root cause of ALL of our issues.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join