It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

law enforcement officials phones to be rendered useless if stolen or lost.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

A group of law enforcement officials wants the smartphone industry to allow phones to be rendered useless if stolen or lost. The officials are hoping to get the feature into phones by next year.
Cnet Article

Tell me this:
Am I susposed to believe that smartphones don't already have a "Kill Switch"
Suuuuurrreeee it's for stopping Cell Phone Theft.
This is going to stop young women from being murded for their phones how? Way around the kill Switch won't be found?
They can't track a phone by MAC Address now after it's stolen?

Comeon, what a line of BS, this is just to see how much survalence and control we will take, the game is afoot!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sounds like what we have over here in the other side of the pond....lost/stolen phones etc are just bricked by the phone companies making them useless, it takes a phone call from the owner and whammo the value of a phone has gone down to less than a politicians promise, but they can unbrick them if needed but normally thats going to require a visit from pc plod

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

Hmmm... I'd assume the mac address could be tracked. Though, you'd than be complaining about that.

This makes perfect sense to me, it seems like your post is simply to complain.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

They can't track a phone by MAC Address now after it's stolen?

they most certainly can,
Laziness is the motive behind this legislative request, and is almost always the motive behind LE demanding laws be passed.
you can have gone through all the hoops regarding configuring find my iphone, it's android or other equivalent, or even pay for a high end tracking service,
and the police will always refuse or make excuses, unless you're a state senator, as a local phonenapper discovered when the hot phone he stupidly didn't turn off in his pocket started ringing just as the patrol car tracking said phone drove by. so don't pay for such services, or even bother with the police, as you will have to gather your gang and recover your phone by yourself.

it's simply Pure Sloth on their part, they just can't be bothered recovering stolen property, and most would rather be shooting kittens,dogs, and people, stealing*COUGH* confiscating stuff, and beating up little old ladies, or whatever other activities gives them a stiffie[s]

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

ABC World news aired a story I think it was on Monday as to how Apple and invented a way to render the Smart Phone Useless in the event that it is stolen and wiped out.

So,. . they're Prayers have been Answered.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

I guess my purpose was to point out "they did it already" and now they are "saying we need to do it" like it's not happening already.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ah I see!
I thought the caption was saying that only the lost/stolen phones belonging to law enforcement officers would be rendered useless...my bad.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

Noted. Sorry, didn't mean to be an a-hole.

Yea, I'd of assumed they already had that capability. Though, I'm thinking they would add something more a long the line of shorting out the phone, not just cutting off the service.

The danger in this of course is that they could use it for other reasons, more sinister. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest.

top topics

join