It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Fired After Being a Victim of Domestic Violence and Her Ex Husband's behavior

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I tried to tone down the original title that was rather sensationalist, 'Catholic School Fires Teacher for Being a Domestic Violence Survivor.' It was more in part due to the behavior of her ex husband who had abused her.

Second-grade teacher Carie Charlesworth said she received notice of her termination after an incident in which her abusive ex-husband followed her to Holy Trinity School, where she worked.

Charlesworth went on leave after in incident in January that forced her to call the police on her husband three separate times. As KNSD reports, she went to Holy Trinity the next day to warn the principle “to be on the lookout for her ex-husband,” who “has a trail of restraining orders and 911 calls.”

Sure enough, Charlesworth’s abuser showed up at the school’s parking lot, sending it into lockdown. The next day, she received a letter informing her that she and her children were put on “indefinite leave.” And three months later, the teacher received a letter from Holy Trinity informing her that the school “simply cannot allow” her to return to work.

SOURCE

I try to stay out of the social issues forum but this one really intrigues me. What can really be done?

I feel bad for her and have personally almost lost a job due to a possessive ex boyfriend. Someone near and dear to me also lost their job due to their estranged husband showing up drunk to her job and attacking customers and employees.

I have to side with the school, though. In the case of school shootings, the school cannot really be blamed for trying to be cautious- especially since they have gone on lockdown once before due to this man. Also, as much as it sucks for her, the operations of the school (or business in other circumstances) shouldn't have to engage in risks.

It does seem unfair to the victims, though. One of those 'tough break' moments.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Not fair at all, she didn't do anything wrong,, he did, she told the school what was happening.
Maybe she should have stayed away but I would get a lawyers opinion on it.
edit on 13-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is really tough. As a school, the number one concern has got to be the safety of ALL of the children in their charge. This means, if someone is (even unintentionally) causing an unsafe environment for the kids, they have to be removed.

If this were a public school, there would be a lot of ways around this, i.e., a temporary office job. But being a private school, it is likely that there isnt another position to move her too.

I feel bad for the lady, its not her fault, and I hope the guy gets locked up. But I lean towards being behind the school on this decision...

On the other hand, if we treated abusive partners as they should be treated, legally, this would never have been an issue, so theres that....
edit on 13-6-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I feel really bad for the teacher, but I understand why the school had to let her go. In this day and age the safety of the whole (the student body) had to be put ahead of the individuals (the teacher and her children). The ex-husband was already violating restraining orders and knew he would be caught harassing her at her job but showed up there anyway. That sort of person is unpredictable as he does not care what the repercussions might be for his actions. Who is to say once he got out of jail for violating restraining orders he wouldn't come back to the school in a rage and start shooting the place up? The school did what was in the best interest of the kids- keeping them safe.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I started off reading the quote and thinking the woman was really getting shafted and was kind of on her side...but after reading a little further, the school couldn't really take the risk for the sake of the kids.

I can see how in an ideal world, the threat from her ex-husband wouldn't matter, but it does matter, greatly.

He doesn't seem to mind turning up and having things get hairy, and has had plenty of history of having a stormy personality at the least. They simply couldn't risk her being there as a draw to a possibly deranged husband..not when the kids' safety was at stake.

It's not her fault i know..but letting her go, was the lesser of two evils i reckon.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I see a lawsuit brewing. Her termination wasn't work related, the school had no right to fire her.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

They probably did have a right.

It's probably unique to a schools policy i'd expect, because the safety of kids entrusted to the state or private eduation body is obviously of paramount importance in situations like this.

It's tough luck for her, she's already been through the ringer by the sounds of it.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

This means, if someone is (even unintentionally) causing an unsafe environment for the kids, they have to be removed.

Great point about the 'even unintentionally.'

Thank you to everyone for responding.

I wonder what legal ramifications there would be against the school if they didn't terminate the teacher's employment, the husband showed up again, and children were injured or killed this time.

My heart goes out to her for having to be hounded by that lunatic. Fortunately he is in jail but the article alludes to it not being very long term.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I would call it a Fine Line.

Now days schools are bringing the personal lives of teachers into the situation to justify their actions. And Certainly being a Victim Does Not Qualify.

I can understand the Safety of the Children.

There are some teachers that frequent this site and I hope they chime in with their thoughts.

EDIT:

Revised statement.
edit on 13-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I can understand the Safety of the Children, but, it is not like the EX followed her to the school to cause the issue.

Hi there! Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by 'it is not like the EX followed her to the school to cause the issue?' According to the article, that is exactly what happened. She warned the school to be on the look out for him. Sure enough, he showed up and the school had to engage in lockdown procedures. The next day she was placed on leave and later terminated.

I might have misunderstood something you said, though.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

As unfair as it is. Getting rid of a teacher is better than having a crazy husband burst in and start killing people randomly. They go after their ex but don't stop killing with just the ex.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I totally support the school's decision on this.

If they failed to terminate her and something awful happened that put children at risk, then they would face criticism for that too. Better safe than sorry when it comes to our schools.

I've had several estranged partners of my employees show up and threaten them. And me. It's a crazy, unpredictable and unacceptable situation. I think there was a story in the news last year where a teacher was shot in her classroom by her estranged husband.

From an employer perspective, do you really want someone working for you whose life is a soap opera and out of control? It's bound to affect business. And when your business is children, well, I hate to think of all of the ways that scenario could go horribly wrong.

Most employers are "at will", the Catholic School likely is too, public schools, not so much. I'd say a leave of absence is reasonable with a "one and done" policy after that. Any more incidents and you are out. Which seems like what they did.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

"V" you are absolutely correct. This is often a precursor to ANY behavior. The school went on lock down because the whack-job showed up. Educational Institutions have an enormous responsibility to protect students.

This also allows the wife & kids to go to a private anyplace and be safe. This is a dangerous man. If he is defying a restraining order immediately after being released from jail for beating on her in the first place.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That one is my fault.

I didn't read the quoted body of your post (which would have explained that right away ). I just clicked the link to read the article. It will not load because I am apparently having compatibility issues.

In any event, I suspect that any parent with children in that school might find this completely justified.

So basically in this case, the victim is made out to be the criminal.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I totally agree. When I was in a similar situation, I was told if it happened again, I'd be gone. Fortunately it never happened again. And even better, I didn't stay with that guy much longer. lol

reply to post by VforVendettea

Very true, unfortunately. There have been a ton of stories where a disgruntled ex took out their anger on not just their spouse but surrounding bystanders.

reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Cool- no worries. I was more worried I misread something you said. lol

Anyways, interesting replies. Upon reading the handful of comments in the article, all but one seem to be vehemently on the side of the teacher while most of us here seem to understand the school's position. Maybe just a difference in members or the way the information was presented.
edit on 6/13/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow so so many are easy to just say it's ok for the school to do this. I think that also should mean it opens the door for any spouse to be able to really shaft the other in getting them fired from any job for the protection of the other workers.

I disagree with this line of thinking. The guy should have been either arrested and jailed or had to wear a house arrest bracelet if he was to remain in public.
He is the trouble her so punish the innocent kids and mom for being involved. That sounds so wrong because it is very wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Wow so so many are easy to just say it's ok for the school to do this. I think that also should mean it opens the door for any spouse to be able to really shaft the other in getting them fired from any job for the protection of the other workers.

I disagree with this line of thinking. The guy should have been either arrested and jailed or had to wear a house arrest bracelet if he was to remain in public.
He is the trouble her so punish the innocent kids and mom for being involved. That sounds so wrong because it is very wrong.

Agree 100%.

I understand the need to protect the children, but this lady doesn't deserve to lose her job...her LIVELIHOOD because of the actions of others.

Yes, the school has an obligation to keep the kids safe. We've had many kids at my school over the years with parents who've threatened to kill them while they were at school. I personally taught a girl for two years who's mother was a total psychopath and would show up on campus, which violated restraining orders. She'd get arrested, and thank God she never followed through with her threat.

My question is....how would this school deal with students who've been threatened? Kick them out? Public schools don't have that luxury. We have to pay very close attention, at all times, to everything. We keep all our doors locked and an adult is always watching the door. Could someone get in? Of course....but you can't let the threat stop life.

I hope she sues and gets her job back. Maybe if the school constantly has to call the police, they'll take the threat seriously enough to take real action.

Oh, and my school has been in lockdown multiple times. We just keep on working.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you so much for replying!

Awesome to get insight from a teacher.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The school should have pressed charges against this man! He was a danger to the school and the teacher! Instead of criminalizing the victim here, the courts should have thrown this wacko immediately back in jail. This opens the door for any person being a victim of domestic violence to lose their job through no fault of their own.

To justify the safety of the children, when schools have ticking time bombs walking the school hallways is beyond me. They ignore them, allow them protection under federal law, yet criminalize an innocent teacher.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if you lost your job because of no fault of your own? The school district clearly abandon this teacher and didn't file charges against this nut case. This lady is now black balled and probably will never be able to find a school willing to hire her. It's about time we stop blaming the victim and start blaming the laws that don't protect spouses from domestic abuse.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
WHOA!!!!

I can understand the safety of the children.....but don't they lock their doors?
Call the police? Have HIM arrested????
But, not to argue that point.....

What about this poor woman...it wasn't her fault. What about her career?
She is out of a job...and who will hire her as a teacher NOW?
What about her children? What are they supposed to do for an education?
Should she and her family be punished because her -ex is a jerk?

I see a lawsuit coming.....maybe she should collect a bundle, move to another city and home school?

Thais is just so wrong. :shk:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join