It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House criticizes Republican's rape comment?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Okay. I have to get this out. I must. My head will pop like a grape, otherwise. You don't want that. It's not a pretty sight.

Ahhh... I feel a little better. Now on with the story.

HOW UTTERLY IGNORANT CAN POLITICIANS GET?!

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House says comments by a Republican lawmaker about rape show, quote, an "alarming disregard for women."

Spokesman Jay Carney was talking about Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks and his assertion that incidences of pregnancy resulting from rape "are very low." Franks is sponsoring a bill to ban almost all abortions after a fetus reaches the age of 20 weeks.
Source / AP

Has this mental midget never heard of Todd Akin?!

Todd Akin: ‘Legitimate rape' victims rarely get pregnant

Arizona, please, for all that's right and good in America. Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country! Take out the trash! Isn't there a recall election or something you guys can have? This level of pure ignorance isn't even funny. It's dangerous, given his position and duties. Heaven help us. This is what helps run the nation.

(Please, don't even go there with partisan politics or I shall be forced to pull my "Guam Capsize" card. It's an ugly one, too!
) Ignorance is Ignorance and we just can't afford to keep electing it based on party loyalty or whatever got this person into office. This is embarrassing! What must the world be thinking to see things like this?!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Pregnancy and rape

So, what is the problem?

Conception via one sexual encounter is very rare...

No one is condoning rape...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

Ummm.... I don't even know how to reply to you on that level of statement.

I will be helpful for others reading the thread by quoting an actual study done to determine precisely this question and done with proper procedures, as needed for determining it. Fact vs. Ignorant opinion is another way of putting it..but I'm trying not to pile on too hard for the good Representative. After all, he's piled himself pretty deep without my help.

Rape-related pregnancy: estimates and descriptive characteristics from a national sample of women.

Result: The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year.

Conclusions:
Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency. It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies and is closely linked with family and domestic violence. As we address the epidemic of unintended pregnancies in the United States, greater attention and effort should be aimed at preventing and identifying unwanted pregnancies that result from sexual victimization.
(Source: US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

One suggestion for Politicians? Deny Ignorance!

(They even have a whole staff of people to help them do it, too.)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Three separate issues ....

1 - The ban on ALMOST all abortions after 20 weeks is a good thing IMHO
Abortions that far along should be VERY rare. The child is (or is close to being) viable.

2 - As for the comment about pregnancy being rare from rape ...

That's stupidity.

3 - That the white house is pointing this out looks kind of desperate on their part.
The world is melting down around them ... scandal after scandal that they refuse to
address adequately. However, they find time to make a comment about this??

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is just the WH pounding the "war against women" drums.

There is an election coming up you know, and the Dems really need those seats in the house if Obama wants to do anything during his 2nd term.

Don't get me wrong, the comments made by the GOP lately are above and beyond idiotic. Apparently the DNC doesn't like rape, but the military gets a free pass

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I do not even know what you mean by the term, "level of statement." If you had even bothered to RISE to my level of statements, you would have found that my link actually quotes the results of the choice of study you proposed to use (incidentally, published in 1996).

Now, see how I did that? I purposefully utilized the word INCIDENTALLY to cast some dispersion over your choice of studies. The EXACT SAME WAY your choice of published study utilized the phrase, "significant frequency." One time sexual encounters, whether rape, one-night stand, etc., have at most a 5 percent conception rate...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That the white house is pointing this out looks kind of desperate on their part.
The world is melting down around them ... scandal after scandal that they refuse to

That was the first thought that came to mind....this is a distraction. When the SHTF it's time to bust out the hot button distraction issues like race, abortion, immigration and class envy.

It's so damn obvious!!

The sad part is it usually works!

edit on 13-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

link   

Taking into account that most researchers agree that instances of rape go largely unreported, that stat on annual pregnancies resulting from rape is likely much higher.

The larger picture though is that there are a handful of politicians who see themsleves as activisits in a culture war and happily legislate evangelical christian values....pssst...big government...

Ironically it's these same ignoramouses that scream about the dangers of Sharia law.

edit on 13-6-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

link   
Rape is a scapegoat excuse pro-baby killers always trot out for their front line defense. Out of the 1.2 million abortions each year a max of 3% could be attributed to rape. I am solidly against abortion and even I think it should be legal for those women if they make that choice. Focus on the other 1,168,000 abortions.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by FlyersFan

That the white house is pointing this out looks kind of desperate on their part.

That was the first thought that came to mind....this is a distraction. When the SHTF it's time to bust out the hot button distraction issues like race, abortion, immigration and class envy.

It's so damned obvious!!

Hmmm...that seems a convenient dismissal?

Could it be that Jay Carney was relieved to throw a punch rather than take a hit given the recent plague of scandals? AND that this guy who said pregnancy from rape is no big deal is an idiot?

Both of those things are not mutually exclusive? But this thread is only about one of those topics.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Could it be that Jay Carney was relieved to throw a punch rather than take a hit?
Like I sad, it's a distraction. Of course he wants to change the subject and get back to campaigning.

AND that this guy who said pregnancy from rape is no big deal is an idiot?
He is an idiot. The fact remains there are far more important things Carney could be dealing with, are there not?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Rape is a scapegoat excuse pro-baby killers always trot out for their front line defense. Out of the 1.2 million abortions each year a max of 3% could be attributed to rape. I am solidly against abortion and even I think it should be legal for those women if they make that choice. Focus on the other 1,168,000 abortions.

3%?...can you support that from a non-partisan site? Or any link at all?

I am assuming that since most women don't report rape, that stat doesn't count the women who haven't filed charges, but still choose abortion?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Maybe you should have talked about how many women LIE about Rape.......

rape

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

AND that this guy who said pregnancy from rape is no big deal is an idiot?
He is an idiot. The fact remains there are far more important things Carney could be dealing with, are there not?

Thanks for acknowledging he is an idiot.

I think the Whitehouse's position on wether raped women should be banned from getting abortions and forced to carry the child is important.

And while I will wait for the transcript, I am fairly confident that he made that remark in response to a question amongst a tonnage of other questions that would suit your defintion of "important".

He doesn't often "volounteer" comments...he answers questions.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

rape

Thanks...I almost forgot about the women-hater contingent on ATS.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

rape

Oh jeez. I don't hate women.
But seriously, how many do lie about it?

Rape is a terrible thing. But also it is terrible that ALOT of women lie about it for alternate motives.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

Your statement...

So, what is the problem?

Conception via one sexual encounter is very rare...

is provably false to the degree either side can be proven. That would be by study and studies have been done in proper ways with controls to insure it's as accurate as such things can be. They have shown, as quoted, the PER rape incidence is significant, not "very rare" or what this politician claimed. You chose to reply to my thread in, seemingly, making light of Todd Akin's comments.

I live in Missouri. I'm a conservative and actually had to force myself to vote for Claire McCaskill, thanks to Akin. I cannot stomach voting that level of pure stupidity into office and know I had any part of it. Even by 1 vote.

Now, I had looked forward to voting Claire *OUT* for YEARS before the last election. Not voting for Obama was a given in my mind but Claire? Oh I was meaning to enjoy casting that vote. Akin's lack of intelligence robbed me of my chance ..and actually had me supporting the woman.

So you'll excuse me if I have an exceptionally low threshold for people who would even attempt to make light of it or what he did to our state by failing to step aside when it was crystal clear (and time still existed to get someone else in) that he couldn't win a race for dog catcher.

Now Arizona has a moron almost quote Akin, directly for what it's worth? Oh.. Yeah. Political madness taken to utter extremes. Idiocy to set records with. Repub or Democrat...doesn't matter. Rape isn't a petty topic when a GOOD % of women in this nation have, at least once in their lives, been victim of some level of sexual aggression and/or assault.

(The human body of a man and woman hasn't changed since 1996. Your reference to the date a study was made is baffling. This was 1996, not 1896, where differences in medical knowledge or understanding may be different enough to take into account)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

rape

Rape is a terrible thing. But also it is terrible that ALOT of women lie about it for alternate motives.

Then read your own link for effs sake....
2-8% of rape claims are estimated to be false...and mostly centered around celebrity or wealth, where there is a pay-day potential. After that, mental illness.

Roughly 200,000 annual rape cases in the USA, with estimates that around 16% are reported to police, so the number of actual rapes is around 1.2 Million annually...this correlates to surveys and studies that around 1 in every 6 women in the USA will be raped at some point in thier life.

Given the standard of proof, unreported rapes and sentencing guidelines, only about 5% of rapists ever go to jail.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Woman sues after Lynnwood police didn’t believe she was raped

How many are accused of lying and pressured into recanting a charge.....just to be fully vindicated later and proven correct by the sex offenders continued victimization of other women? In that case, the scum even admitted to having raped the girl when caught later. Turns out that was was a serial rapist to use the term which fits. Ouch.....

Tho it really isn't all that related to the topic, to be realistic.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

rape

Then read your own link for effs sake....
2-8% of rape claims are estimated to be false...and mostly centered around celebrity or wealth, where there is a pay-day potential. After that, mental illness.

Rough 200,000 annual rape cases in the USA, with estimates that around 16% are reported to police, so the number of actual rapes is around 1.2 Million annually...this correlates to surveys and studies that around 1 in every 6 women will be raped at some point in thier life.

Given the standard of proof, unreported rapes and sentencing guidelines, only about 5% of rapists ever go to jail.

en.wikipedia.org...

And MY POINT was there is a helluva LOT that LIE about it.
Not all women are effin angels and effin helpless. or are they? (equal rights is an effing joke. because once # gets too difficult or dangerous, they want to be poor ol scared helpless women) am I wrong?

It's disgusting that ANY man would rape a woman. terrible.
but I haven't once heard of a rape going unpunished. but then again I don't really every find the need to research RAPE. I suppose this is a feminist thread, and maybe I should go before the menstrual flow rolls in.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join