It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do Christians follow, The World or Jesus?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Christianity is not compatible with worldliness... Almost everything the world teaches is opposite of what Jesus teaches.

If you see Christians who follow the world instead of Jesus, they are hypocrites and do not be deceived by them!

Teachings of the world vs teachings of Jesus:

World: Love or find your life or place in the world
vs
Jesus: Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life - John 12:25

World: Save (material wealth/assets) for your future
vs
Jesus: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.- Matthew 6:19

World: Too much emphasis on loving our friends, relatives, or boss or potential sources of opportunities - people who are of benefit to us like wealthy people
vs
Jesus:If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?. Matthew 5:46
Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. - Luke 12:42

World: Money, education, and a job are of great importance in anyone's life and is essential to living well, even survival in the modern age
vs
Jesus: He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight. Luke 16:15

World: Work upwards the career ladder to have more money
vs
Jesus: "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. - Matthew 6:24

World: work towards a better life, aspire to have better things in life like bigger and nicer house, more expensive cars, better gadgets
vs
Jesus: Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. - Matthew 16:24

World: our god (Satan) promises wealth if we worship him (Ironically, there's a verse for this! - Matthew 4:9!)
vs
Jesus: [the cost of following Jesus] Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." - Matthew 8:20
[better finances is not guaranteed to those who will follow Christ]I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan - Revelations 2:9

World: Give just enough to the poor to look good but not too much to be a burden:
vs
Jesus: Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. (Luke 12:33)

World: Loves flattery and smooth talk and see it as being clever, smart, even wise.
vs
Scriptures: These people are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage. - Jude 1:16
For the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil - Proverbs 5:3

That is not all, but you guys should get the idea. The ways of the world is opposite that of Jesus that's why Apostle James said in James 4:4:

You adulterous people,[a] don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Let's follow Jesus, not the world! The ways of the world is evil, it destroys, it deceives! Its luxuries doesn't come from thin air! It is built upon the backs of the poor and deceit! It's even messing up the planet!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Look around at the world and the so called "Christian" countries, then at the so called political entities that align themselves with Christianity and this question is easily answered...
edit on 13-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Look around at the world and the so called "Christian" countries, then at the so called political entities that align themselves with Christianity and this question is easily answered...

I wouldn't be surprised. Most of it is false christianity anyway.

They are also quite a significant contributor of greenhouse gases, garbage, destruction of forests that is wreaking havoc to our planet. So much for deny yourself as Jesus said

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
proverbs 18:13

i looked twice and didn't actually see a question back there? maybe it's just the crack?

you mean the thread title...? O_o

i think this is why it's all directed at individuals rather than all those isms and ologies, nyah?

..how do *you* feel about any of those things quoted in the first post?
don't cop-out and blame entire countries and nations..
if none of it makes sense just say so?

Amos 5:8

edit on 13-6-2013 by UNIT76 because: clarity

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

If I'm not mistaken, America is one of, if not THE most Christian country on Earth. It's also the most materialistic and self-entitled country on Earth as well. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Christianity teaches that just believing gets you into heaven, so they can do whatever they want. Jesus' teachings be damned.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Much agreed.
the hypocrisy in the christian church is surely something to be noticed.

-Also, there is just something I find odd about sheep flocking every Sunday to listen and BELIEVE EVERYTHING that one man says on behalf of HIS own personal interpretation of a biblical passage.
--oh and "don't forget to pay your tithes and offerings" (I have a mercedes payment to make this week)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Christianity teaches that just believing gets you into heaven, so they can do whatever they want.

No, that is not what Christianity teaches.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If that's not what they teach then Christians must not pay too much attention. Materialism seems to follow Christianity wherever it goes, all the way up to the Vatican itself.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If that's not what they teach then Christians must not pay too much attention. Materialism seems to follow Christianity wherever it goes, all the way up to the Vatican itself.

Explain how "they can do whatever they want" is taught by any Christian church?

Materialism is hardly "they can do whatever they want", and is generally taught against anyway, in favour of charity.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The idea that salvation is a free pass that has to do with belief is evidence enough isn't it? They may not specifically say "do whatever you want", but they imply it with their "free pass" ideology.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The idea that salvation is a free pass that has to do with belief is evidence enough isn't it? They may not specifically say "do whatever you want", but they imply it with their "free pass" ideology.

Again, show me any Christian church which teaches that sin doesn't matter and people can "do whatever you want". That's what you claimed, so let's see some evidence to back it up.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

You didn't read my post did you? Read it again and you'll have your answer.

What church doesn't teach salvation is free through belief?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

What do Christians follow, The World or Jesus?

Every christian is different. We can't make a blanket statement on Christians one way or the other on this question. People are at different points in their spiritual lives and are at different places of growth ...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by UNIT76
proverbs 18:13

i looked twice and didn't actually see a question back there? maybe it's just the crack?

you mean the thread title...? O_o

i think this is why it's all directed at individuals rather than all those isms and ologies, nyah?

..how do *you* feel about any of those things quoted in the first post?
don't cop-out and blame entire countries and nations..
if none of it makes sense just say so?

Amos 5:8

edit on 13-6-2013 by UNIT76 because: clarity

The title of the post What do Christians follow, The World or Jesus?,

That is a question to which my reply was not a crack but an answer. Most Christians follow the world more than Jesus.

Only because I am keeping an eye on this thread did see that you quoted me, unless you wished to reply to me directly.

How I "feel" is irrelevant and a game played upon fear and emotion that I no longer play.

I was simply stating a fact. If I were to blame anything it would be the individuals within the "Christian" churches who believe this earth shall be wiped away and new one created therefore do not be the good steward to Gods work. The individuals who sit around waiting for a "Savior" to rescue them and this world instead of finding the God like spark inside of them. I would blame the Pastor/Priest/Leaders for not pointing their flock to being the good gardeners of the Lords Fields instead of burning them to stubble. I would blame those same heads of The Bride of Christ for not using that money to fund not larger gold laden beautified churches/Temples/Cathedrals and instead clothing, and housing the poor and destitute and preserving beauty in the Nature God designed...

Perhaps when God spoke of renewing this earth he meant it for his people his flock to find it within themselves to do this so that when he does return he does not have to punish them and clean up the mess they made...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Salvation was earned through Jesus sacrifice and we have salvation through accepting that sacrifice and through FAITH ... not belief. That's different. Even the demons believe that Jesus is the Son of God. But that doesn't get them into heaven. (not that they'd want to be there anyways .. demons would hate it)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

How do you get "do whatever you want" out of that? That's what I'm asking for evidence of, not what the basis of salvation is.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Very true in many regards. We should not worship money or place material possessions above God. It can also be a daily challenge for Christians to be 'in the world but not of it.' Not to mention, very difficult behavior that goes against human nature like turning the other cheek or loving our enemies.

However, God understands a man needs to support his family, that parents need to provide for their children, that people have to hold jobs for a functioning society, etc. Even Jesus and the apostles had jobs. Famous sayings like, 'If you don't work, you don't eat' come from the New Testament.

The main principle is that we do not become obsessed with the love of money, success, status, or worldly affairs at the expense of our spiritual relationship with God.

If you have a high education, do you have humility in your heart or do you look down upon the 'uneducated masses?' If you are well to do, do you use it to help others or do you hoard it and let it become your God? If you are famous, do you use it as a platform to spread Christ's love or do you let it go to your head?

It is a hard road, though, and I'm still lacking in many ways.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I meant belief in the sense of belief in his sacrifice. If you have faith in his sacrifice then you can do whatever you want and be saved.

Isn't that correct? Or is something more than faith needed? If works are needed it is no longer free, but comes at a price.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Christianity teaches that just believing gets you into heaven, so they can do whatever they want. Jesus' teachings be damned.

Or is something more than faith needed? If works are needed it is no longer free, but comes at a price.

I don't want to get off on the OSAS Doctrine (Once Saved, Always Saved) because that is another debate. However, I wanted to quote three of your posts so far to point out your contradictions.

On one hand you take issue with the belief Christians are freely assured of their salvation on belief alone. In other posts, you then switch and say 'well, some gift if it has conditions.'

Do you want conditions or a free gift? You seem to be complaining about both.

'You are giving me a free pardon? That's so wrong! We should have to be good and work for it. Oh, wait. You say I have to be good and earn it? Why can't we just get a free pardon?'

No way God can win with your logic because you're not happy with either. Yes?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Again, show me any Christian church which teaches that sin doesn't matter and people can "do whatever you want". That's what you claimed, so let's see some evidence to back it up.

Christianity doesn't teach people can do whatever they want... however, it offers a quick fix solution for people who do whatever they want. Christianity teaches that one needs to only accept that Jesus died on the cross for their sins.

Tell me... if the most wicked, immoral, sinful human accepts Jesus died on the cross for his sins.... is he not redeemed of all his sins?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join