It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get paid $1 per day to lease cpu threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hi all,

I stumbled across this site just now called coingeneration.com... which promotes a program that allows it's users to "generate money" by allowing it to use part of the cpu.

From the sources and forums i've read so far, apparently you lend this company "1 thread" of your cpu, by installing a program on your computer - allowing it to run in the background, in exchange for $1 every 24 hours of use.

Now from my understanding, each core on a cpu (some cpu's have 2 cores, some have 4) usually supports its own "thread", however some cores (namely, intel) support "hyper-threading" - which is multiple "logical threads" rather than actual threads.
However, we'll stick to the former as that's easier (1 thread per core)
A "thread" is a task that any given core may handle at any given time to run an application. Therefore if your cpu has 4 cores, then it supports 4 threads, allowing you to run 4 applications at any one time. Note that your OS switches between these apps at a fast rate, which is why you can have lots of apps open doing nothing.

So by "hiring a thread" (or using up some of your computer power - for the laymen), this company is essentially paying you ($1 per thread per 24 hours). It does "sound" like an online scam, however i'm still looking into it and haven't fully concluded on anything.
The purpose of this thread is to gain other people's opinions if they've had their own experiences with this site or if you haven't - it doesn't matter, just what do you think about the concept?

Seeing as the website mentions discussions at bilderberg meetings, an "unusual" program funded by a cloud supercomputer, and the morality of the company, i'm personally starting to get the idea they are trying to reassure its users. Why are they going out of their way to mention morality?

Please try and stay on topic, and give educated responses. Don't just say "it sounds stupid". Try and elaborate your answers.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It's 365 bucks a year? Utter crap. If it's legit it seems like people getting taken for a ride. For instance, if you bought a computer and paid for the network to run this, you wouldn't see your investment return... ever as the $365 would be just enough to cover your network cost.

Mine is through the roof though maybe some people have it cheaper.

I'm a little curious as to what kind of data needs to be outsourced to be computed. Or is it more like a bot-net system?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The numbers just started dawning on me. What if you had 1000 computers, could you get paid $1 a day for each one? That's $365 000/year.

Thats a 3 year return to cover your capital costs assuming you got 1000 dollar computers. Failed to calculate network cost and hydro however.

In any case might make me think it's more like a botnet scam where they are trying to get unsuspecting people to lend their computers out in DDoS attacks, and.or criminal activity.

If the going rate is a dollar a day for 1 thread, it seems like it would be highly profitable to set up a mega computer solely designed to compute things for people.

The economics work out, 1 computer by itself might not be worth it, but seems like if that was the going rate you could make a fortune setting up a computing hub. so-to-speak

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
$1 a day to rent a core seems rather high and there will be people with high core computers and you can pick them up on ebay in 2-4U server units very cheaply that will probably pay for themselves in months IF and i repeat the word IF they actually cough up the cash which will be the problem

and also given you've given them full access to your system they could do anything even up to using your machine to distribute really dodgy stuff etc and you'll take the blame as its your system and you agreed to it

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There is a PC shop near me. Inside is a setup that made my jaw hit the floor.
Dozens of video cards hooked up in an SLI array......massive setup!

The only thing that this is good for is gigantic amounts of data throughput.
I want to know what this kid is doing with it, and who does he work for? He just popped up in my city one day and opened shop.....but he doesn't have anything for sale ever.

You could make a killing off of a setup like this, leasing processor time.

But im afraid this is a scam, they want you to buy threads to make money off of?
NO THANKS

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It seems ominous to me. They go on about what they do without saying exactly what it is they're doing. OK we will be processing information, but what information?

I would put this on a dedicated multi-core computer with bare-bones components and let it run in a room by itself, but never on my PC. And that symbol with the 6 pointed star with the lion head in the center looks too cultish. I wouldn't trust them at all with access to my personal files.

Sure, y'all can pay me to use the unused computer set-up in the guest room no problem. It's got an 8 core hyperthreaded processor so show me the money. Let's see here, 16 logistical cores times 24 hours in a day is $384. Over a span of 365 days that would be $140,160. That seems like a nice supplemental income. I doubt it will raise my electric and internet bill by that much, even after I pay income tax on it.

I sure hope they have the funding to back this kind of project.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have a problem with anything that says "If you're smart..."

"Yeah I'm smart! I'm not dumb!"

"I want to make money!"

"I'm a doer not a dont'er"

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

The setup you are talking about is call a "BitCoin mining rig" google it, and those "can" generate a lot of money. Seeing as how the site from the OP was coingenerator.... i would say that is what the site is doing as well. I dont really have the motivation right now do research who owns the site and find out what they are doing, but who knows maybe i will in a little bit LOL. My money is on this is a BitCoin mining operation though and they are making a lot of money if they have a huge network.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by xxdaniel21

I saw your thread here so I checked out the website at the link you gave and read it through and then found that after you download and install their software,

Buy a connection to a Thread (this is an automated process that is required to completely enter the system and register your payment information, where the money that you earn will be sent).

Uh-huh. So now you've installed their software, which may do Lord only knows what, you have to pay them before you can get things running so they will eventually pay you. Lovely.

That sounds like a classic Ponzi scheme setup to me. Here's how such a thing works: "buy ins" from new arrivals are used to pay monthly payments to some users who joined sooner. So, they happily tell everyone they got paid, and more people buy in, and so on.

Ponzi schemes work fine until more people want payments than there is money coming in to pay them. (Of course, whoever is running the scheme normally skims off a nice percentage first.)

Besides the possible Ponzi scheme setup, I have other issues with this company. At the end of their webpage they say:

If you have any questions about working with the system, you can likely find the answers in the FAQ.

One problem: there is no link to a FAQ page. So if it exists, it must be accessible only after you register.

Frankly they could put anything at all on your computer, and you are giving them control over part of your CPU for long periods. That sounds very, very risky. But just to get involved you got to buy in. And then wait a full month after that until you (might) see some return.

I'd say the wise thing would be to avoid this site like the plague. I expect it won't last all that long.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 13/6/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
1$ a day wouldn't even cover the electricity it's using to run a single thread. Unless you are using hacked wifi and stealing electricity, it's not financially sound. Now, if you are the type of user to have your pc running 24/7 regardless, it might make sense, maybe.

Distributed computing is what is at the core of this type of operation. spreading out cpu cycles to millions of pcs instead of hosting a server yourself. Folding at home is one of these, I believe it's called something different now but you can enable this on your ps3, running calculations in the background.

A bitcoining farm would be another potential example, have enough threads running and you are sure to mine some coins.

A botnet for ddos or penetration testing is another.

Those of you old enough to remember the early days of napster and sharing apps of the likes might remember Morpheus. A file sharing app that came under fire for trying to implement a stealth botnet using all machines running morpheus. They hid the system in the code and I believe burried it in the T&C. I don't believe it ever came out with the stealth network, but I could be wrong.

A company offering a service like this would try to reassure you of their morality for a very simple reason.

But for some highly skilled computer engineers, no one can really tell what they are doing with your cpu thread, you have to assume it's not something illegal. Beyond that, you are installing an application that gives them access to your cpu, and giving them access to a layer that low is risky at best, they could potentially do anything to your system.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The idea is to create a huge cloud of machines, acting as a supercomputer in order to perform massive calculations for mostly scientific purposes.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
ok, so i went ahead and checked them out.....
For starters, 555 California Street, Suite 4 San Francisco, CA which is where they say they have an office, yea that building sells "Virtual Office Space" so they are very likely not located there.

Second the "Owner" is Mark Peterson. And i cant find any Mark Peterson as a licensed business owner in San Fran (Nor can i find any utility bills being paid for by this person...or that company)

Moving on from that as it seems like a bit of a wild goose. The websites Base IP is 85.195.103.234 which through a traceroute comes back to Haina, Germany. So they are hosted out of Germany, thats better then say Nigeria so we will give them that.

Now, the contact info for Mark is cpurevenue at a gmail account. that right there..... huge red flag to any IT guy, any company that has a IT related business as this guy is claiming... well they would have their own email server and it would be something like [email protected] i did search and anything mailed to any with a "coingeneration" email server.... well, it goes towards a gmail account.

I am going to call BS and say stay away. If you need more info just let me know, i got to this point and figured it wasnt worth wasting any more of my time... Back to writing JCL

edit on 13-6-2013 by MrAoxx because: I typed it all solid and it was reading like a brick, sorry

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
Therefore if your cpu has 4 cores, then it supports 4 threads, allowing you to run 4 applications at any one time.

WRONG ! !

Typically there are 2 Threads per Core.

I have a Core I-7 990X running on an ASUS WS SuperComputer Motherboard so am able to process 12 threads at once. I use it for serious number crunching.

So by this are you saying that I can only get $1 a day. OR, can I lease out all 12 threads for 12 dollars a day?

How about my 2 GTX580's in SLI Mode am I able to lease out those 1024 cores as well?

Just curious. I think I might be able to get a Nice Check out of this deal.

EDIT:
I do use it as a Folding Machine for the Folding@Home project that is run by Stanford University.
edit on 13-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yeah, this is bad idea folks.

This is what we call a botnet. And it could be used for a variety of illegal purposes that you are then responsible for.

Otherwise, they are using them to mine bitcoins and making FAR more than the couple of hundred bucks they pay you a year.

Stay away from scams like this.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It could be for Bitcoin mining? Although I doubt one thread of my computer would be worth $1.00 a day. Meanwhile, anyone know where those algorithms come from that Bitcoin mining solves? Could be massive hacking.

So basically what Tenth said haha.
edit on 13-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Years back I had 4 systems (mine and kids) tied into IBM running the human genome project and some other biotech work.
Felt rewarding as they posted updates and system rankings. You could watch it running, with graphics representing the amino acids connecting to different genes. There were thousands of machines running it.
However, was a gamble that nothing sinister was going to happen, sort of like love.
But that was IBM and they could have done it without your permission if they so chose and that was only reason to trust them.
Now days I end up tracking IP addresses any time My machine hick-ups.
Don't think there's a chance I would get involved with any now.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have a feeling this has to do with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency mining.

They state that it is for satellites etc or maybe folding proteins but right now the price of cryptos is very high and expected to rise much higher. There are people with nearly 100 or more than 100 7950 or 7970 GPUs hashing away daily to get coins.

There are also people who get users to download malicious software and create working botnets to mine coins as well. To me the idea of opting into a botnet from an unknown source is just scary.

By allowing them virtual access to your computer they can capture anything you are doing and can make your computer do anything. $365 is not worth it.

If they truely wanted to do something worthwhile they would create a donation center or organization for old CPU's & GPUs and create their own botnet and pay for their own electricity.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

ask someone here www.moneymakergroup.com...

teambuilding and referrals

Personally I wouldn't do it.
Doesn't seems safe.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It sounds a lot like Bitcoin mining. For those that don't know, Bitcoins are a digital currency. 1 BTC=~$100 (it fluctuates all the time). The way bitcoins are gained is by buying them or mining them. Mining is where you devote a portion of your computer's GPU resources in order to solve an algorithm. It's a lot like winning the lottery- Whoever solves the algorithm first will win the coins. Maybe this site is something similar but on a far smaller scale? Just my two cents. Peace.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have been looking for something like this for a while.....BUT....After reading through the site frankly I am a little (if not allot) freaked out.

Notice a few keywords and phrases

As mentioned above the multi-color star, lions head = strange

The idea for the project came about as the result of the 58th Bilderberg meeting (Sitges, Spain 3-6 June 2010) where, as part of the conference, the problems of social networks, science and cyber-techology, the Global crisis and other important topics were discussed.

.....Bilderberg meeting?......ahem....hmmmm

The only things we need to complete our goal are consolidation, belief in the end result, and for people to understand the enormity and significance of this project.

What Goal, What project?

We are supporting this interesting and unusual project so that it has the chance to make life on our planet more comfortable and safer. Our main goals are to provide financial support for cutting edge practical research, support developments that for one reason or another will disrupt the status quo (such as alternative fuels or facial recognition software) and to provide support to talented scientists and geniuses. This is needed for us now, our children will need it in the future, and the entire planet will benefit in the future!

If they are paying us... Who is paying them?

The questions go on and on. Something smells to high heaven here me thinks A very strange site indeed.

join