It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morton-based Star Transport faces suit on religious rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I suppose this is the best forum for this, if not, sorry and please move.

www.pjstar.com...

This is about two Muslim truck drivers who refused to haul a load of alcohol, got fired and are now suing.

I understand alcohol consumption is against their beliefs, but they weren't being forced to consume the booze(not even touch it, as it's in a container), just deliver it to its destination.

Now they're suing, saying they were fired because of their religious beliefs. No fellas, you were fired for refusing to do your job. Plain and simple. I hope the court sides with the trucking company on this matter.

I do understand that the trucking company could have found other loads for them to haul, but where is that line drawn? Jewish drivers not wanting to deliver any products that may contain pork? The list is endless.

My thoughts are to shut up and do your job. If ya don't like your job or what it entails, find employment elsewhere that is more inline with your beliefs and morals.

It's a darn shame this company is having to go to court to resolve this issue.

What do the fine people of ATS think on this issue?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

I do understand that the trucking company could have found other loads for them to haul, but where is that line drawn? Jewish drivers not wanting to deliver any products that may contain pork? The list is endless.

Yes, the list is endless...Why do you think this is a bad thing? For every driver who objects to carrying a certain type of load, there is another driver who will happily accept that assignment. As a driver, I know the company could have easily made accommodation for different driving assignments for these two drivers. So, I do not think the company will win this case.
edit on 13-6-2013 by totallackey because: further content

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

I understand that. However, like I said in my OP, where is that line drawn? They were not forced to drink or even touch the booze, just deliver it.

If the court rules in the drivers favor, this will open up a very slippery slope.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
I suppose this is the best forum for this, if not, sorry and please move.

www.pjstar.com...

This is about two Muslim truck drivers who refused to haul a load of alcohol, got fired and are now suing.

I understand alcohol consumption is against their beliefs, but they weren't being forced to consume the booze(not even touch it, as it's in a container), just deliver it to its destination.

Now they're suing, saying they were fired because of their religious beliefs. No fellas, you were fired for refusing to do your job. Plain and simple. I hope the court sides with the trucking company on this matter.

My thoughts are to shut up and do your job. If ya don't like your job or what it entails, find employment elsewhere that is more inline with your beliefs and morals.

It's a darn shame this company is having to go to court to resolve this issue.

Ah, America--land of the litigation lottery. If they can't do the job they are hired to do, then they should expect to be fired for someone who will do the job they are expected to do.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

There is no line...there are multiple products to deliver...there are multiple drivers...what slippery slope...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hmm, don't agree with what they are doing.

But they are using the system to their advantage. Nothing more American than that

Its all about money these days. No wonder a majority of people have money troubles.

Maybe its like a sign they are spending too much of their time and effort focusing on money so that is why they lack it, and making their lives less enjoyable.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP on this one. They should have done thier job.
They didn't have to touch, or consume the alcohol; only deliver it, which is thier job. People these days amaze me. Just my two cents. S&F.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Star transport was bought out a few years ago by Covenant transport a very religious family owned business.

I worked for them a few years,I would highly doubt religious rights were being suppressed.

Star is a forced dispatch company they tell you this when you go to orientation, if they wanted to pick and choose their loads they should have got a job where you can do that.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The slippery slope I am referring to is the trucking company having to find loads, suitable for every drivers ideals. It could grow into a nightmare for this(and any company if the court rules in the drivers favor) company having to find suitable loads for their drivers.

Your religious beliefs are yours to hold and cherish, no one is denying anyone that. To force a company to find work that's suitable to your beliefs is asinine. I own a business and would be very upset if my employees didn't want to do certain aspects of their job because of their religious beliefs. You hired on to do a job, not pick and choose what parts of the job you want to do.

IMO, they should have drove the load to its destination. They could even curse their loads while driving. They were not touching, consuming or even looking at the loads. They are drivers hired to drive and deliver. They should have done just that and they wouldn't have been fired.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yup If you take a job and do not do it you can be fired. They should have asked whether they can swap with another driver and or just told their boss If next time they can not do it.
I hope they do not win the case because this will open the floodgates..

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Your correct star is a forced dispatch. They shouldn't lose the lawsuit, and they can't just find you another load as the other person seems to think.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

If they can't do the job they are hired to do, then they should expect to be fired for someone who will do the job they are expected to do.

That really is the heart of it. Same reason they shouldn't get jobs as bartenders or exotic dancers.

I'd wager had they informed their employer ahead of time that certain loads were taboo to them, they probably would have accommodated them (even though no legal requirement to do so). They are trying to pull a Title VII violation here, but I can't see them making a case for it.

There are five major verses in the Koran regarding alcohol, and none of them describe it as haram (or a major sin), and even those deal more with the state of being drunk, not of drinking itself. In fact, one of these verses even regards it as wholesome! Furthermore, NONE of them mention it as taboo to transport alcohol, so I think the defense is going to have a hard time even proving that the men transporting alcohol would somehow be a sin in the eyes of Islam.
edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9

I agree with you. If you can't do the job, don't take the job. It's really pretty simple.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The big questions in this case are;

1)Were these Muslims hired with the knowledge that the transport company moves alcohol as their cargo?

2)Did the Muslims make it known that their religion does not allow them to deal with alcohol i.e. was it a special condition of employment that they are exempt from having to move it based on religious belief?

Particularly pertinent is question 2. - Unless they were hired on the basis that they be exempt from moving alcohol due to religious concerns, then they are refusing a reasonable task and the company has every right to fire them. We have Muslim people working in MacDonalds next to my business and they have to take orders and make burgers with bacon in them, so these drivers sound like they are just taking the mickey.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Two years later and the courts sided with the Muslims. Unbelievable.

Muslims get rewarded for refusing to do a job for religious reasons, while Christians get fined out of business for the same damn thing. I am honestly floored by this decision.

What a damn shame!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the update, I guess the company learned their lesson and next time they will be more careful of whom they hired without looking to be discriminatory.

top topics

join