It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive explosion and fire at Louisiana chemical plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Massive explosion and fire at Louisiana chemical plant

rt.com

An enormous explosion shook a chemical plant in Geismer, Louisiana just south of Baton Rouge on Wednesday. The blast was followed by a huge fire. Fatality numbers are unconfirmed, bit it is likely they are “very high” according to authorities.

Emergency crews are on the scene, and have reported injuries. A hazardous materials team has also been dispatched to the fire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
usnews.nbcnews.com
www.cnn.com
www.therepublic.com
thecabin.net

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I know RT is saying it happened Wednesday but I believe they have a typing error because it is happening now.

There isn't much information out yet, but it appears there may be some fatalities. The plant puts out about 1.3 billion pounds of ethylene and 90 million pounds of polymer grade propylene a year.

This is the third plant explosion in a couple of months for Geismer, LA. March April

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-6-2013 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
These situations always remind me of bhopal. These accidents?are unavoidable. Hope people had plenty of warning to evacuate.
Is the shadow like thing shrapnel in the top right of the pic?
edit on 13-6-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: added oppinion

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse

Is the shadow like thing shrapnel in the top right of the pic?

Looks like it is a crane. You can see the bottom and the top.The middle of it is obscured by smoke.

link   
Source

Residents in St. Gabriel are being asked to shelter in place from Highway 3115 to Highway 74 as a precaution.

The Iberville Office of Emergency Preparedness says seven injuries were reported to them. Emergency crews are on the scene.

A neighboring plant says the major exposure is Butadiene spheres. They say that Williams Olefine has a hydrocarbon fire and the concern is that another explosion could occur and the fire is not under control.

link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

I think it is the top of a crane or scaffold as just below it is the rest of it (through the smoke.
A terrible scene.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Yeah. There is no control at all on that thing. And it appears as though there are multiple exposures too. Other tanks that are really close.

Personally, I wouldn't wanna be around there to have to try to contain that fire.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Was there a drill going on?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Here are a couple more photos.

And here is the video from the op link.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Something seems a little hinky to me. An explosion in a plant in Texas, an explosion in Louisiana and probably other plant explosions in the U.S. i don't know of.

So does anyone still want to work in chemical or ammunitions plants?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yep its a crane, that chimney is burning big style,that does not look good

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Not seeing anything on MSN, so needed to post to track. Be safe people.
As gov oversight is reduced or forgotten we will see more and more of these events I'm afraid. Corporations are protected from liability and find it cost effective to do things as cheap as possible.
If someone points out deficiencies it's cheapest to fire them and get another that either doesn't see the problem or wont speak of it and all goes on as it was.
Is it funny that most get government monies to build or tax breaks (corp welfare), nothing invested nothing to worry about.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wow from the looks of that picture, the flame is 100's of feet high!
That is insane and extremely dangerous!

I work in a chemical plant and fires are always extremely dangerous.
We have evacuation drills, but nothing can prepare you for the real thing.
I've actually witnessed fires alot smaller than that and still was shaken up.

There's probably not much they can do besides kill the feed and let it burn out.
With such a large magnitude flame, it would be hard to control.

Man, I feel for those guys...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't know the geography down there, but could it have anything at all to do with the sinkhole which is spreading?

Link

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Itz ze Terroristz I tell ya.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This must be that false flag everyone was predicting a month ago. Oh my god!!!!

No not really.

Wait.

It must be!

Next thing you know they will be doing security checks at all the chemical plants.

Oh the humanity!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Wow from the looks of that picture, the flame is 100's of feet high!
That is insane and extremely dangerous!

I work in a chemical plant and fires are always extremely dangerous.
We have evacuation drills, but nothing can prepare you for the real thing.
I've actually witnessed fires alot smaller than that and still was shaken up.

There's probably not much they can do besides kill the feed and let it burn out.
With such a large magnitude flame, it would be hard to control.

Man, I feel for those guys...

Keep in mind most people don't know how the world of chemical processing is. Fractional distilling hundred if not thousands of gallons of stuff that is lighter than air, heavier than air, ignites with simple sparks, burns at ridiculously high temps, forms explosive peroxides in sunlight, suffocates people in low exposure in confined spaces... etc, etc, etc.

That sort of thing.

Must be a very cool field to be in.

I was tempted to go that way after finishing my advanced chem classes in high school but nerd life just wasn't something I thought I'd be interested in down the line.

Oh how dumb am I when I end up in another field and constantly work with chem, bio, tech, biotech companies who for some odd reason only hire really really hot women in their sales and marketing departments!!!

Oh I get to talk to them on phone and email, and they like social media contact, but I could of been working in the same office as them!

Stupid stupid Boncho....

Where were we? Oh ya... The super dangerous world of chem processing. Seriously, when I see some of the stuff they do I kind look dumbfounded just thinking, "How are you all not dead yet?"

In any case, even with a few high profile accidents as of late, it's amazing the industry is so safe as it is. I have a lot of respect for all the people in the field.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The madness just doesn't, isn't gonna stop this year is it???

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected. Stay safe.

Is it just me or is this shaping up to be a really really rough year? Year 13... of the new millennium...

Cirque

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here is another video of whats going on there.

youtu.be...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join