It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A call to all Americans! I would really appreciate your opinion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hi all, especially all you American citizens on here! I come here today to ask you your opinion on something that I feel is important.

I am putting it here for obvious reasons.

Okay, so I am a British citizen born and raised in England, and I love my country!. However, I also have a strong relationship with the US. My father, who was born in England, has lived out Stateside for the past 18/19 years now, and after working hard and doing his homework, he got his US citizenship about 7/8 years ago (roughly).

So my question is this, how do you feel about this?

I ask because (and laugh if you must), I am ultimately hoping to get my career going and move to the US. Do American citizens mind this? I am not saying your against immigration etc etc, I just wanted to know what you think?

All the best!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
No, I do not mind at all. Legal immigration is the best and I respect people who are doing well in their lives. To be honest most, if not all Americans are descendents from immigrants.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I don't mind it at all! Don't know why I would... I say, "Come on over"!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Do American citizens mind this?

Why should we? It is one of the founding principles we are built on. Come on over mate!

I think you're confusing the illegal immigrant problem. Many Americans are against this. I used to be one of them. I say used to, because once you examine the problem, you realize that without illegal immigration labor, you'd be paying a fortune for hotels and produce, etc. and it would be a nasty blow to the economy. While they may not pay income tax, they do pay every other tax, like sales, etc. as a matter of necessity.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

I ask because (and laugh if you must), I am ultimately hoping to get my career going and move to the US. Do American citizens mind this? I am not saying your against immigration etc etc, I just wanted to know what you think?

If your dad is already here and a US citizen, he can sponsor you. American citizens shouldn't mind this because most are immigrants to begin with if even it was 200 years ago like my own lineage. They left your country for a better opportunity long ago.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think your right with me being a little confused. The immigration situation in the UK is so blurred right now that it is hard to judge whether immigration is any good at all, regardless of any benefits to the economy.

I do however appreciate your warm welcome! Along with the other replies in here! Thanks guys!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Oh really? I'm surprised he has never mentioned that then haha surely he knew!

That reason you gave is exactly why I want to move. Better opportunities!

I am currently looking for a better paid job than I am in now, and compare the difference in opportunities between London and Washington DC or New York, and seriously, the ratio must be 1:10

1 Job in London for every 10 in US!!!! **That is a guess not a factual statistic**

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Love a new (legal) neighbor....come on over! The South is nice, hardly any snow.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

I would like you to know that Americans do not mind immigrants who seek citizenship and have cultures and ideologies to add to our great nation.

What we do not need are immigrants who come here for a handout. Our nation is broke, no, more than broke, we are trillions of dollars in debt. Our government is riddled with politicians who capitalize on citizens being dependent on the system by offering them hopes of government monies in return for their allegiance to their political party and their vote on election day.
This is only a small fraction of our country's woes. The larger issue is our own naturally born citizens that feel entitled to a lifestyle that other and current generations have worked their whole lives for. Immigration issues in America have been exploited by the media and spun to create division within political bases.

I am curious as to your feelings and understanding of America's immigration stance. What is being said overseas?

I welcome anyone who is willing to work hard and contribute to our society. I encourage that once you get rooted, live by your morals and do not betray them for money, nor should you pity those who tell you they are being oppressed. Sure, there are incidents of our society failing its citizens, racism, and glass ceilings for the lower and middle classes. However, for those who seek education, work hard, and contribute, you absolutely can breakthrough. Also, get involved in your state and local governments. Do not just stop at citizenship. True citizens act and seek betterment.

Good luck to you and your family. Get involved and embrace your new community. Help us by sharing your insights and knowledge, and above all, pursue happiness and encourage others to do the same.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Well, your Dad will fit in pretty much everywhere as he does speak the language; albeit with the quaint colloquialisms.

I think what many US citizens object to are not only illegal aliens, but the way people segregate themselves from others. Little Italy, Chinatown, Somalitown, etc, etc.

Sure there is a certain comfort level surrounding yourself with the familiar…but if that really is the case, why immigrate in the first place?

English is the unofficial language of the U.S., followed by Spanish. I think that people naturally feel uncomfortable when overhearing a language they don’t understand.

Regardless, as long as you do it legally, c’mon over! For either a visit or stick around and enjoy the adventure.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Boscov

I should probably clarify that I do not think Americans are anti immigrants and what not haha I just wanted some views.

As for immigrants who come over to purely sponge of the state. I share your views. I intend to come over after building my career building blocks over here in the UK, and continue to be very successful in the States. I do not intend to take any handouts, I will pay my taxes and help as much as I can. If somebody lets you in your home, you take your shoes off and wash the dishes!

As to your other question. America is viewed as a place where you CANNOT go and sponge of the state. At least that's what I believe the majority of people in the UK feel. It isn't the same as the UK, where people see us as a hostel that pays you to stay there. America, I think, is seen as a place that if you want to go to, you can, but you better work for it. It is seen though as a very multi-cultural country in certain ways. From your roots all the way down to Espanic (forgive my spelling) population and other cultures. I always viewed America as a welcome place (A second home for me!) but if you want to get by, get your hands stuck in and pay your dues. When people mention America to me, I always feel that if you want to be a respected member of the community, you have to earn it.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There is a comedian here in the US on one of the broadcast networks who hosts a late night talk-show; Craig Ferguson.

He is Scottish but became a US citizen. I think he generated some viewership and positive regard for his show because of it. He even has "the rattlesnake flag" tattooed on one hand that goes up his sleeve and across his chest supposedly.

He also wrote a book "American On Purpose." Apparently he's quite the flag-waver

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Craig Ferguson is the best late night host ever! So far anyways. "Course I could be a bit partial due to being somewhat Scottish as well.
Oh hell. I'm as American as they come nowadays. 100% mutt!

But I love his attitude! He's been down the road and back again and just does not quit. Gotta love that in a person. Unless they are after you.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is only illegal immigration that I am against. So...Welcome to America I say to you!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by brace22

America is viewed as a place where you CANNOT go and sponge of the state. At least that's what I believe the majority of people in the UK feel.

If only that were true. Many illegals sneak over, then have children here (making the kids US citizens by birth), and those children are basically supported by the state (and their parents are supported by proxy). I'm even ok with them coming over and working as migrant workers, etc (like it or not, it is necessary) or those who build something up for themselves and their families, but not so cool with those who like becoming baby factories to get a bigger food card budget, etc.

new topics

top topics

join