It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens: An apology

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Aliens: An apology

www.thesun.co.uk

IN an article on Saturday headlined ‘Flying saucers over British Scientology HQ’, we stated “two flat silver discs” were seen “above the Church of Scientology HQ”.

Following a letter from lawyers for the Church, we apologise to any alien lifeforms for linking them to Scientologists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Sun apology to 'alien lifeforms' over Scientology story - ITV News]][url=www.itv.com

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Not exactly a respectful response to a letter from lawyers...

"The Sun" (a tabloid newspaper here in Britain) seems to have reacted to a letter from a lawyers acting for the Church of Scientology by taking the mickey a bit, apologising to ALIENS (rather than the Church) for linking Scientologists to a sighting of two flying saucers.

Sometimes letters from lawyers, unless very carefully drafted, can be counter-productive...

Anyway, a nice bit of humour at the expense of Scientologists (and some lawyers...).

The sighting itself is discussed in another thread on ATS:
Pilots of three planes spot silver discs over scientology HQ - show up on radar then disapear

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-6-2013 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

You gotta love the Sun sometimes they make me laugh sometimes.
I bet Tom Cruise is raging as we speak lol.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Good for the Sun. Scientology is a plague that needs to be purged.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen
Good for the Sun. Scientology is a plague that needs to be purged.

Whys that then mate?

What possible difference can the patterns of belief held by a group of people make to you or your daily life?

If they want to believe ET created mankind...so what? If you want to believe God (an ET by definition BTW) created mankind...so what?

If someone else wants to believe the Great banana tree dropped it's seeds and created human kind...so what?

Who cares?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
Who cares?
They could stop suing everybody who disagrees with them, for one thing.

The Sun apology is funny.

Scientology has enough to worry about from Thetans, without more aliens giving them more problems.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The Sun newspaper is little more than a rag. It is, in fact, newsprint barely fit to wipe ones rear end with after a biblical scale bowel movement. However, thier response to this particular situation could not possibly be more entertaining. This is the first good word I have had to say about that publication in my whole life, as far as I can recall.

And while I am here posting on this topic, I am frankly aghast that anyone would have requested a legal response to the article which allegedly linked the aliens to the general location of the Scientology cult building. When someone reports that a UFO has been sighted above a petrol station, or above a library, one does not suppose there is a link between the building and the sighting, save for its geographical location.

Why the Scientologists would desire to make an issue out of it by assuming otherwise is beyond me entirely. And, to be fair to The Sun, the Scientologists should have known better than to bait them by publically requesting a clarification, since the publication is one of the most irreverant in the country, generally speaking.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

My respect for the sun just went up to 99. That's brilliant.

I love it.

Ahahahaha

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Following a letter from lawyers for the Church, we apologise to any alien lifeforms for linking them to Scientologists

Apology to whom ? Alien lifeforms !!

Why ? For linking them to Scientologists !!

Hats off to ' The Sun '

That was so funny

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Why did then need to apologise?

Did I miss something?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

That's brilliant I'll bet it's hot in the lawyers office.
Or as the Sun would say

" Phew what a scorcher"

Cody

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A legal blog has posted a copy of the apology as printed in the newspaper itself.

The (understandable...) comment on that blog is:

Not the cleverest legal letter ever sent, then.

order-order.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Who cares?
They could stop suing everybody who disagrees with them, for one thing.

The Sun apology is funny.

Scientology has enough to worry about from Thetans, without more aliens giving them more problems.

They're under constant attack, people usually respond to attack with some kind of defense or counter-attack. A legal letter from a lawyer is hardly a radical response considering the levels of crap they get from society...the post i originally answered, and the piss take from the Sun 'newspaper' being just two examples.

Self defense is human nature really. Scientology types are no different to any other group with a strongly held belief system that is being vilified and attacked. If someone had a pop at you, verbally or physically...would you stand still and do or say nothing? I doubt that many people would.

If Scientology followers walked into your church (assuming you have one) during a service and started taking the piss and claiming you are all completely irrational nutjobs for believing a god floats around in a place called heaven and built everything in less than a week...would you just sit back and say or do nothing? I doubt it.

They'd be run out of there in quick order and if there was a legal route to preventing them disrupting the church service again, the church would be serving legal papers before you knew it.

I'd like to know why Scientologists are seemingly SO threatening to other groups and singled out as often as they are...it doesn't make much sense to me, when i analyse almost every other religion or established and popular belief, they all share basics and teachings that sound and read as completey irrational nonsense, made up by a child writing a story for a junior class project.

If the established groups have absolute courage of their convictions, why would they attack another group attempting to humiliate or destroy their belief..perhaps those doing the attacking don't actually have much faith in what they preach, after all if they had, they'd allow god to sort them out...no?

Leave them alone. They are free to follow whatever belief system they choose...morally and legally.

Is this a good time to remind ourselves that the entire nation of America was formed exactly because the founders were also being persecuted for their alternative belief systems?

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I think you need to research them a little more and maybe you will understand why people are so hostile towards them.
Look at what they do to people who want to leave, look at the methods they use to gain followers It is a dangerous cult that is why they have been banned from saying they are a religion in some countries. Also banned completely in 6 countries.
edit on 13-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Leave them alone. They are free to follow whatever belief system they choose...morally and legally.
You clearly don't get it.

The reporting of the location where the UFOs were seen wasn't any kind of attack against Scientology. If it had been over the Capitol building they would have reported that. It's not an attack against the Capitol building to report the location.

So it's Scientology who is not leaving everyone else alone. They are the ones who attacked with the letter from their attorney for no good reason. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, so as a result, they have a "sue-happy" reputation and are deservedly disliked for that reason.

To put it another way, the Vatican wouldn't have sued or sent a letter if the Sun had reported the UFO had been sighted over the Vatican.

Also and maybe slightly off-topic but since you brought it up, Scientology wasn't initially even a religion, it was a cult. They eventually registered as a religion for the tax break, but that was an after thought. So it's not really even another religion. They also use more cult tactics than other religions though others do use some.

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by MysterX

I think you need to research them a little more and maybe you will understand why people are so hostile towards them.
Look at what they do to people who want to leave, look at the methods they use to gain followers It is a dangerous cult that is why they have been banned from saying they are a religion in some countries.
Exactly.
edit on 13-6-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The Sun is nothing more than a comic with ladies getting their breasts out on page 3. Not to be taken too seriously.

As for Scientologists..I'm not 100% on their belief structure, however, I believe there is a strong possibility that we were in fact created by aliens. According to Sumarians, it was the Annunaki..but they might just be like the Egyptians and claim to have built things that they hadn't. But if I'm gonna back any horse, my money would be on alien intervention.

The thing I still don't get, is the mental conditioning of us all to make a joke or a mockery out of life beyond our planet.. of any sightings or contact.. even raise talking about the subject and people start chuckling..
Why?
We all know that there are billions upon billions of stars out there and the probability of there being other life forms in such a massive number is high..(and that is just thinking in this 1 dimensional scale) so why do we all mock it?
Why is the focus from the Sun paper on taking the p!ss out of scientology..rather than the fact of discs spotted in the sky? EDIT: I realise now that the scientologists were going to sue the paper..so its not unlike the Sun to bite back.. but that raises another question..what BS did they write in the first place to warrant such a reaction?
edit on 13-6-2013 by vivid1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vivid1975

Yup great and that is a great subject to debate but Scientology is not about that..I will let south park explain.

Funny but that is what they believe.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The Atlantic Wire has now published a report on this story, referring to it as:

www.theatlanticwire.com...

one of the best newspaper apologies ever.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Haha! Good on The Sun for sticking it to those humourless murdering weirdos.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join