It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sin through the eyes of a child

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hello everyone I would like to let my daughter teach us about sin.

When my daughter was 5 I was inspired to tell her that God was love, and that when she listened to love she would feel love, and when she wasn't feeling love it was because she was not listening to it. I taught her to overcome her emotions, so she would only use good emotions.

Soon after I taught her this she committed her "first" sin. She was arguing with her sister about something pointless, and she stepped on her sister's new Doll. Immediately after stepping on the doll she broke down in tears, she was ashamed that she had hurt love.

She is 8 now and she stole 2 times. So I was talking with her and I said "baby you know you have sinned more than once now". And she said "no I haven't". I replied "you stole 2 times, an eraser and 2 dollars".

She said no I did not steal I brought them back because stealing can't make you happy. I agree, I don't believe making a mistake against love because you don't understand what you are doing is counted as sin. I would say she did not steal, rather she learned that there is no joy in stealing and to return what was stolen brought love back and removed the guilt.

My daughter is 8 this is what she taught me. If she can overcome sin like that, surely so can everyone else. Teach Peace and find Peace.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

I really don't think I'd be teaching my very young children the concept of sin. I don't mean to criticize, but I think that they would be more likely to understand about sin and atonement at a later age. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've raised some really exceptional grownup children who are giving me grandchildren even as we speak! I just got the call that my daughter gave birth tonight at 11:17. Sorry to change the subject.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

And that redemption was made through herself, not Jesus. Salvation lies within, not on a cross 2,000 years ago. If you make the effort to correct your mistakes then you will, but believing something or someone else corrects if for you corrects nothing at all.

Thank you for the story/lesson. S&F

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Like I said it came as an inspiration, I can understand where your hesitancy lies.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

And that redemption was made through herself, not Jesus. Salvation lies within, not on a cross 2,000 years ago. If you make the effort to correct your mistakes then you will, but believing something or someone else corrects if for you corrects nothing at all.

Yes, like I said in the other post I agree with you. I just thought this was the best way to show you that I meant it when I said I agree with you. Thank you

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

She didn't overcome sin, if she had it never would have happened. What she did is called repenting, she had a change of mind and decided to make amends. Sin is defined as "wrong doing" or "transgression".

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Doesn't repenting equal forgiveness of sin though? That means she overcame that particular sin.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

She didn't overcome sin, if she had it never would have happened. What she did is called repenting, she had a change of mind and decided to make amends. Sin is defined as "wrong doing" or "transgression".

Genesis 4:6-7 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

1 John 5:4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world.

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Revelation 3:5 The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Ephesians 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish "ALL" the flaming darts of the evil one

No she Ruled over it, overcame the world, realized that there was no gratification in stealing, she resisted the temptation to keep what she took, and her guilt fled from her, she extinguished "All" the flaming darts that were thrown against her.

And if anyone would try to teach her that she did anything less than overcome her sin, they do not understand the process by which one overcomes sin.

Anger came to Cain, just like coveting came to my daughter. Cain acted out his emotion to the point he killed his brother, he did not overcome it. My daughter realized that what she did was bad and by her own will returned what was stolen, thus overcoming the desire to covet. She no longer covets what you have in a way that would cause her to steal. She will likely never steal anything because she has overcome sin.

edit on 12-6-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Why would she repent, there is no victim, unless of course I should teach her that she is the victim of her own crime against herself.

Thinking about what you are doing and choosing the right over the wrong is overcoming sin. If you overcome before you have a negative effect on someone else, there is no victim. Why would I make her the victim, she already knows that it is/was wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I said it in terms he would understand. She "repented" by giving what she took back.

If she stole, then yes, in a way she stole from herself because she "stole" her innocence. Once she gave that which she stole back, she gave her innocence back as well. She did what was right in the end, that's what I meant by repent.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I know, but I can't teach it to her that way. When she stepped on her sister's doll it was appropriate to teach her to repent because she loved her sister. And there was a victim so there was need to reconcile with the victim, to return to the same peace that existed prior to the transgression.

And yes she understands all of this.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Whoever she stole from was the victim, her giving back what she stole is the same as her repenting for stepping on her sisters doll. Same concept, different scenario.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

God did not punish her for stealing, why should I? She claimed that she was righteous, should I call her a liar, when it is clear that she learned the truth, which God himself taught her.
edit on 12-6-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I'm not saying you should punish her. She learned from her mistake herself, so there is no need for punishment.

I think you are misunderstanding my meaning.
edit on 12-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I'm not saying you should punish her. She learned from her mistake herself, so there is no need for punishment.

I think you are misunderstanding my meaning.
edit on 12-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

No I am just avoiding the Christian term repentance in the same way you avoid the Christian term Grace.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I got you.

Like I said, I was only using the word repent in order to put my thoughts into terms lonewolf would understand.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I know and I like to debate with you so we are having fun still?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Doesn't repenting equal forgiveness of sin though? That means she overcame that particular sin.

No repenting does not equal forgiveness of sin. It's a combination of repentence and atonement. If she atones for her own sin, then she'll burn forever. Now that she has sinned and knows it, now she has to come to Jesus so he can cover over her sin with his blood. She might have stolen something or told lies, and tried to make amends and that is part of repentence, but whom she really sinned against was God and our only intercessor is Christ and Christ has to make that atonement for her by his blood and that is why his blood was shed for our sins.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

And if anyone would try to teach her that she did anything less than overcome her sin, they do not understand the process by which one overcomes sin.

If anyone tries to teach her that giving in to sin (wrong doing) and sinning and then trying to change your mind and make amends is overcoming sin, then they do not understand the process by which a person oversomes sin. Resist the temptation to do wrong, then you have overcome that sin. Resistance doesn't come after you've sinned, that is repentence.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I do not see in the OP where Jesus or a cross was mentioned. Only: God is Love. Apparently that had positive effects on the child's perception of right and wrong. In essence, the little girl DID correct her own mistake (of stealing) I assume because she preferred to have Love guide her actions, and not negative emotions.

OP, as a former educator in an increasingly chaotic, self-centered society I applaud your method of sharing your belief of letting Love guide our actions, in such a way that your daughter could internalize it as her own personal 'compass,' thereby letting her conscience be her guide (as opposed to external punishments.) In essence, you have empowered her to self-monitor her own actions, and feel 'safe' in an open dialogue with you about situations and lessons learned.

Tell her I am proud of her honesty and strength of spirit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join