It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird weather condition in Indonesia "Only 2 or 3 hours the sun shines"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by Phage

No, according to the site I linked, it's roving bands of hydrogen sulfide, which does smell like suflur, a dangerous gas just the same.

Thank you. Am going to go to your link now (missed it last time) and read up on that. I've smelled sulpher in the air a couple of times over the last year. Not at home but abroad. It's sorta creepy to smell that and not understand the source.

Yes it is. A few weeks back I was out driving in the country up here in the northwoods of WI and I pulled over to take the dog for a walk. Smelled that sulfur smell and jumped right back in and kept on moving!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Monsoon.

[TOPIC CLOSED]

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I had such an event before here in NJ. I even made a thread about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was a strange event that also involved a storm. Then there was that terrible smell >__

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
weather like this happens, we had the longest winter ever in Germany this season. And now tons of rain... it just happens.

I have some friends in Indonesia, but nobody mentioned something strange. I actually talked about the weather recently with one friend and she said the weather is really nice and hot

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
today 18/06/13..Finaly It's Clearly Sun shines..TQ God

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I would think the cloud cover was holding most of the toxic gases etc emitted by transport and industry, close to the land, thereby causing respiratory problems. Perhaps a mask was in order?

Cheesy, glad to here the Sun is shining thru again.

It may be wise to point out to ATS members, that Indonesia, which comprises a group of Islands, has a population of 245.9 Million!! Humans and growing (with 5000 Orangutans and shrinking)...that is a lot of people for those islands. Pollution is inevitable............... It is the most populous Islam state on Earth..
edit on 17-6-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec

reply to post by Phage

No, according to the site I linked, it's roving bands of hydrogen sulfide, which does smell like suflur, a dangerous gas just the same.

Thank you. Am going to go to your link now (missed it last time) and read up on that. I've smelled sulpher in the air a couple of times over the last year. Not at home but abroad. It's sorta creepy to smell that and not understand the source.

Yes it is. A few weeks back I was out driving in the country up here in the northwoods of WI and I pulled over to take the dog for a walk. Smelled that sulfur smell and jumped right back in and kept on moving!

I do wish someone would figure out where the sulpher smell is coming from. Where you are - no reason for this. Where I was - same thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Lots of possibilities.

Most hydrogen sulfide in the air comes from natural sources. It is produced when bacteria break down plant and animal material, often in stagnant waters with low oxygen content such as bogs and swamps. Volcanoes, hot springs and underwater thermal vents also release hydrogen sulfide. Industrial sources of hydrogen sulfide include petroleum and natural gas extraction and refining, pulp and paper manufacturing, rayon textile production, chemical manufacturing and waste disposal. Some bacteria change calcium sulfate, the major component of wallboard, into hydrogen sulfide. If construction and demolition debris contain large quantities of wallboard, large amounts of hydrogen sulfide can be formed. Production is greatest when the wallboard is finely crushed and when there is little oxygen, such as when the debris is buried and soaked with water.

www.health.ny.gov...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Speaking of Hydrogen Sulfide....

Phage, here is a list/map of the Volcanic activity since 1900.

edit on 17-6-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Dianec

Lots of possibilities.

Most hydrogen sulfide in the air comes from natural sources. It is produced when bacteria break down plant and animal material, often in stagnant waters with low oxygen content such as bogs and swamps. Volcanoes, hot springs and underwater thermal vents also release hydrogen sulfide. Industrial sources of hydrogen sulfide include petroleum and natural gas extraction and refining, pulp and paper manufacturing, rayon textile production, chemical manufacturing and waste disposal. Some bacteria change calcium sulfate, the major component of wallboard, into hydrogen sulfide. If construction and demolition debris contain large quantities of wallboard, large amounts of hydrogen sulfide can be formed. Production is greatest when the wallboard is finely crushed and when there is little oxygen, such as when the debris is buried and soaked with water.

www.health.ny.gov...

Thank you. I had found this but the closest I could get from the location I was at was maybe something bacterial as there was no major water source nearby (in the mountains at the time). I suppose it could have been a shallow stagnant pool of water somewhere unseen too. The other time I was near lakeview oregon (about 6 weeks ago). That one could be explained by volcanic processes and high sulpher levels in the water (it was super strong though). It's just that in my whole life thus far I've not smelled this outside of yellowstone and then twice in the last year. Not too suspicious of it but captured my attention.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

The good new is that it really does stink.
Unlike roving bands of methane, H2S cannot sneak up on you.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

That's a good map and brings up the point of looking at quakes when this smell presents itself. When going through Lakeview, OR and smelling this I later realized there had been a quake swarm at the time I was driving through. It could be a release of volcanic gasses after a quake. Lots of them in Indonesia clearly. Not as many in western US but two super volcanoes makes up for that.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Dianec

The good new is that it really does stink.
Unlike roving bands of methane, H2S cannot sneak up on you.

From my understanding methane gas comes from rotting matter so one would think they would be able to smell other substances that avert attention. It's as if there is a natural mechanism of the human body that works with nature - know what's good and bad for survival (like a partnership on a molecular level). Interesting stuff. And yes...glad sulpher smells (not offensive but tells the instincts something's up). I had no idea drywall could create that smell either so that in and of itself was worth the reading.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

We have been having a lot of rain and clouds in our sky too! Not really good for our garden, or the sun will come out in the morning and then cloud coverage. Weather.gov keeps saying we will have a sunny day and then it gets cold and cloudy. This is not typical June weather here in Maine.

It's odd you mentioned the flu, my son last night came down with flu symptoms, he had a 104.1 degree fever and said his throat started to close right up. Today he is feeling out of it and is achy all over! I am concerned because I have a 1.5 year old baby that could get this flu virus. I am cleaning my house and taking precautions. We never get the flu in the Summer or Winter so this to me is odd! Someone from my husband's work went to the ER because she too got sick in a short period of time and the symptoms were not typical flu like symptoms, or she said on facebook.

Apparently a flu virus is going around.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join