It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T r u e C r y p t Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've been using this FREE program for about a year, works great and with it's 256 encryption it would take the NSA super computers years to break the code.. Enjoy

T r u e C r y p t
Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP
www.truecrypt.org...

Main features:

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

More information about the features of TrueCrypt may be found in the documentation.

edit on 12-6-2013 by RocksFromSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

I tried to post this in the Political Madness forum but the Mods felt it was better off here in computer help forum.. Go Figure..I think we need this program to protect us from the "Political Madness" pushed upon us.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace
it would take the NSA super computers years to break the code.

As long as you use a long password with upper and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols, no computer will be able to break the encryption in our lifetime.

It has been said that using a 64-character passcode with upper and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols would literally take millions of years with all of the computers on earth combined to break the encryption.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Until Quantum computers become available for practical applications.

Then it may only take several weeks.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

Thanks. I wasn't aware of TrueCrypt. It might come in handy someday....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

As long as you use a long password with upper and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols, no computer will be able to break the encryption in our lifetime.

It has been said that using a 64-character passcode with upper and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols would literally take millions of years with all of the computers on earth combined to break the encryption.

An agency that has had an operating system passkey in every MS operating system since Win95 osr2 wouldn't need to break the encryption key - it could be captured upon entry....

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ahh No, it's easy to crack them 64 character passcodes. It's writtenon the monitor coz no one can remember a 64 character passcode

Damn it I can't even remember an 8 letter one, especially when I get used to using one, and then some website says "Oh no you don't, there's no upper case in that. And while you're at it, numbers." so I have to fiddle it.

Then I'm like "Did I use an uppercase W, or is this the one with 905 in the middle. Or is this the other one. Or .. Screw it, where is the Register New Account button.."

Nothing would break my calm more than having a 10gb secure partition full of secrets and stuff, that I cannot get into because I was diligent enough to put in a whopper of a passcode.

Literally, if some security mob confiscated my drives and said "Give us de passcodes Now. Ve hav vays of making you tok!" I could only sincerely say "Umm.. I forgot."

off to singsing for old winofiend

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa

An agency that has had an operating system passkey in every MS operating system since Win95 osr2 wouldn't need to break the encryption key - it could be captured upon entry....

ganjoa

Ahh but we don't live in fantasy land, so we're all good.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Ahh but we don't live in fantasy land, so we're all good.

...as he goes back to his wine induced coma

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
TrueCrypt is an amazing program. There are some crazy options for even the most paranoid webuser.

new topics

top topics

join