It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Rep. Peter King: Punish Glenn Greenwald

page: 2
24
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can't imagine anybody actually agreeing with King on this one, except, ATS might have a few...




posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente
 


I’m a bit conflicted and trying to sort this out in my own head…bear with me.



I’m listening to what King said here about Snowden and trying to compare this situation to what Bradley Manning did. Many of the things King said here are exactly how I felt/feel about Manning. The difference, I think, is the actions in this case are against us….AMERICANS….people with constitutional protections rather than non-American’s in foreign lands. As far as taking actions against the reporter who broke this, I don’t think the media should be held to account for exposing things like this that fall in their lap. This story isn’t about exposing national secrets - it's about exposing CLEAR violations of privacy and constitutional protections. This is what the media is supposed to do!!!!!

By the way, Clapper is a freaking liar! If you watch the video you’ll see this stooge lie.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hmmm maybe Panetta and Snowden will became roommates

Leon Panetta revealed classified SEAL unit info


www.politico.com...



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56
 


Well, now this IS traitorous behavior. I hadn't looked too deeply into the story until now. Check this out:


Snowden told the paper he believed there had been more than 61,000 NSA hacking operations globally, with at least hundreds of targets in Hong Kong and on the mainland. The paper, however, didn’t say how he arrived at those numbers.

“We hack network backbones – like huge internet routers, basically – that give us access to the communications of hundreds of thousands of computers without having to hack every single one,” he said.

Snowden said he wanted to expose the government’s hacking activity to show “the hypocrisy of the U.S. government when it claims that it does not target civilian infrastructure, unlike its adversaries….Not only does it do so, but it is so afraid of this being known that it is willing to use any means, such as diplomatic intimidation, to prevent this information from becoming public.”
www.wired.com...

Hiding in China and telling the world what US does in other countries?


Sorry….King is right IMO….that is traitorous. Though I am glad he exposed the NSA activities here in US.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 


It would be lovely to see the NSA dismantled as well. How many spy agencies do we really need anyway? Especially those who do not answer to the people. The NSA is a freaking monster sucking our resources and adding to government bureaucracy. The NSA does not seem to be about protecting the American people. It seems to be about protecting the traitors within the government FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

It is not a crime to dislike the government.
It is not a crime to speak badly about the government.
It is not a crime to discuss bombs, guns and ammo.



edit on 6-12-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more.

edit on 6-12-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for even more.

edit on 6-12-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for still more.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by seabag
 


It would be lovely to see the NSA dismantled as well. How many spy agencies do we really need anyway? Especially those who do not answer to the people. The NSA is a freaking monster sucking our resources and adding to government bureaucracy.
edit on 6-12-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more.



It's all about creating jobs that they have control over. Government is notorious for sitting around thinking things up to make their jobs more secure



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 


Are foreigners not entitled to the same level of privacy as Americans? I fail to understand why one if OK in your book and the other is not.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56
 


They (government) keeps scaring reporters from reporting on whistle blowers and illegal government activity. Reporters are being controlled on what they're allowed to cover, or face being brought up on charges of treason. I'm afraid this has been going on behind the scenes for a long time now. Do we really have a free press in the United States?



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Sorry….King is right IMO….that is traitorous. Though I am glad he exposed the NSA activities here in US.



On part, yes he is traitorous but on another he is a whistle blower in my opinion right now as more evidence is really needed. But either way, why should we go after the journalists who come up with a story like this? Did the first amendment say that we can print anything we want but not if it has to do with foreign spying tactics, otherwise you are gonna be prosecuted? Im pretty sure that it says otherwise.



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Glenn Greenwald has more integrity in his big toe than Rep. King has in his whole body.
Typical response from a government official who fears the truth coming out.
Maybe Rep. King has some dirt on his hands he doesn't want people to know about?
His long stint on the Homeland Security House Committee has probably help pad his bank account by knowing which companies to invest in before they were given contracts by DHS rather like Chertoff.
Yes, Mr. King, your gravy train is about to run off the rails.
Stop blaming others for revealing the truth about things you may have had a hand in doing.
If it was illegal or unethical you should have averred.
Something tells me you went ahead anyway thinking there would never be a reckoning.
When the wheel of justice finally turns I hope it grinds exceedingly fine.


Quite right.

I remember there was more than one political numpty in the US who was openly calling for the execution of Assange after Wikileaks opened the cablegate floodgates.

These people shouldn't be allowed with 1000 feet of a public building, let alone voted into office.

Anyone in public office who advocates ignoring or repealing the constitution, should be immediately sacked and face charges for breech of public oath (probably contract law would come into play).



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by dizzie56
 


Well, now this IS traitorous behavior. I hadn't looked too deeply into the story until now. Check this out:


Snowden told the paper he believed there had been more than 61,000 NSA hacking operations globally, with at least hundreds of targets in Hong Kong and on the mainland. The paper, however, didn’t say how he arrived at those numbers.

“We hack network backbones – like huge internet routers, basically – that give us access to the communications of hundreds of thousands of computers without having to hack every single one,” he said.

Snowden said he wanted to expose the government’s hacking activity to show “the hypocrisy of the U.S. government when it claims that it does not target civilian infrastructure, unlike its adversaries….Not only does it do so, but it is so afraid of this being known that it is willing to use any means, such as diplomatic intimidation, to prevent this information from becoming public.”
www.wired.com...

Hiding in China and telling the world what US does in other countries?


Sorry….King is right IMO….that is traitorous. Though I am glad he exposed the NSA activities here in US.




bro, snowden said it himself, he is not hiding from justice, he is in hong kong to reveal criminality (his words). He has made it perfectly clear that he understood the consequences of what he is doing and has long come to terms with facing them if he cannot achieve political asylum.

king is not right, he thinks even glen greenwald should be knocked out for being a journalist, that is un-American and the real treasonous behavior right here.

alot of the things that have been exposed many people already knew, insider information just solidifies it even more. ATS, if you knew the US was hacking other countries, raise your hand.


edit on 13-6-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I have to add Greenwald is the journalist that I have the utmost respect for.
Once Bill Moyers held that title but has since softened his stance on unconstitutional issues and government cover-ups.
Greenwald is usually among the first to break important stories whether it's the killing of civilians overseas, the use of drones at home or spying on the US public.
By attempting to intimidate the most fearless of our journalists they hope they can shut them all up.
All the more reason to keep going and discover why government officials like King are going full-tilt fascist.



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56
 


And Greenwalds response was this:

"I was really staggered that a United States congressman, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, actually could go on national television and make up an accusation ... as a way of arguing for my arrest and prosecution inside the United States for the crime of doing journalism," said Greenwald. "It's bad enough to call for that, it's extraordinarily menacing that he did so based on a complete falsehood – the idea that I ever threatened that. I did not, nor would I ever."

ac360.blogs.cnn.com...

We need more honest journalists to expose TPTB evil doings



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by teamcommander
reply to post by dizzie56
 


Excuse me, but is this the same Peter King who wanted to prosicute the Attorny general for looking at the phone records of a Fox journalist, looking for their contacts with a leaker, a few days ago?
I guess it's alright go after their guy, but don't go after our's


.....
edit on 13-6-2013 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by seabag
 


Are foreigners not entitled to the same level of privacy as Americans? I fail to understand why one if OK in your book and the other is not.


No, they're not; the US government doesn't work for them nor does the constitution apply to them.

Don't act as though every other country around the globe does try its hardest to spy on other countries. Look at what China has been doing to US. Do I need to mention what Putin's goons do?



edit on 13-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
King is a traitor to his country and the constitution.



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56
 



On part, yes he is traitorous but on another he is a whistle blower in my opinion right now as more evidence is really needed. But either way, why should we go after the journalists who come up with a story like this?


It is a slippery slope and I'm very conflicted. If the journalist only ran with the story exposing domestic spying then I don't have a problem. When the journalist exposes global spying operations while US undoubtedly has many operators out there risking their arses that's a different deal. Not to mention the setback to our operations.

Freedom of speech is about questioning our own government but it doesn't allow you to commit treason by exposing classified and CURRENT operations that don't infringe on constitutional rights and are designed to keep Americans safe...does it?

If a Secret Service member decided to go public with all of the classified measures that safeguard the POTUS and a journalist published it is that not treason?? Don't journalist abide by certain ethical standards? Why should journalist not be held to the same standard?



edit on 13-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by seabag
 


Are foreigners not entitled to the same level of privacy as Americans? I fail to understand why one if OK in your book and the other is not.


No, they're not; the US government doesn't work for them nor does the constitution apply to them.

Don't act as though every other country around the globe does try its hardest to spy on other countries. Look at what China has been doing to US. Do I need to mention what Putin's goon do?


I agree. But to me its unfortunate he is telling the world that we spy on other countrys and how because now that is all people will focus on and the fact that the NSA is collecting data on us will be swept under the rug as usual. I already saw it today on Fox and Friends when they were starting to introduce him as a traitor because of this, nevermind the fact that he spilt the beans on the spy network spying on us. In a couple days all you will here in the networks is how he is a complete traitor and nothing will be done or said of the original leaks.



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by dizzie56
 



On part, yes he is traitorous but on another he is a whistle blower in my opinion right now as more evidence is really needed. But either way, why should we go after the journalists who come up with a story like this?


It is a slippery slope and I'm very conflicted. If the journalist only ran with the story exposing domestic spying then I don't have a problem. When the journalist exposes global spying operations while US undoubtedly has many operators out there risking their arses that's a different deal. Not to mention the setback to our operations.

Freedom of speech is about questioning our own government but it doesn't allow you to commit treason by exposing classified and CURRENT operations that don't infringe on constitutional rights and are designed to keep Americans safe...does it?

If a Secret Service member decided to go public with all of the classified measures that safeguard the POTUS and a journalist published it is that not treason?? Don't journalist abide by certain ethical standards? Why should journalist not be held to the same standard?



edit on 13-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)


All he reported was the fact that the United States hacks into China's computers. Its not like people are over in China doing this, hell, if I knew at little more about them I could do it from my own home. He never revealed any specifics about any missions what so ever.

Also, it is a slippery slope, but we all know whats at the bottom of the hill because #e runs down it. If we allow this to happen then the lawmakers that all know whats good for us will continue to push the boundries of what they can and can not do and pretty soon it will really be 1984.



posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56
 



I agree. But to me its unfortunate he is telling the world that we spy on other countrys and how because now that is all people will focus on and the fact that the NSA is collecting data on us will be swept under the rug as usual. I already saw it today on Fox and Friends when they were starting to introduce him as a traitor because of this, nevermind the fact that he spilt the beans on the spy network spying on us. In a couple days all you will here in the networks is how he is a complete traitor and nothing will be done or said of the original leaks.


It is unfortunate but I think that, like Bradley Manning, Snowden has an axe to grind and has a deep seated hatred for this country. Neither of these tools was trying to help us....they were trying to bring down the country they despise.

....and any ethical journalist should know where the line is and not cross it. The overseas operation are what the alphabets are supposed to be doing. That info shouldn't be exposed.



new topics

top topics



 
24
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join