FEMA Refuses to Rebuild Texas Town Leveled by Blast

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
FEMA Refuses to Rebuild Texas Town Leveled by Blast

FEMA claims the explosion "is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration."

Always sticky details eh.

I wonder what the REAL reason is ?
Politics maybe ?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is refusing to provide money to help rebuild the small Texas town where a deadly fertilizer plant explosion leveled numerous homes and a school, and killed 15 people.

According to a letter obtained by The Associated Press, FEMA said it reviewed the state's appeal to help West but decided that the explosion "is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration." FEMA has, however, provided emergency funds to individual residents.

West Mayor Tommy Muska said the rural community of 2,800 people needed the money to repair roads, the damaged sewer system and a school. He said the estimated cost of those repairs is $57 million, including $40 million to rebuild a school that was destroyed when the West Fertilizer Co. blew up in April.

WHAT !!

"We don't have the money to go out and borrow the money. We don't have the means to pay that note back," Muska said. "There's got to be some public assistance."

the article

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
FEMA doesn't have the money to help rebuild? not a disaster?? wtf??? I think they're just too lazy...not
to mention too cheap, to help. FEMA is a joke!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
FEMA also declined aid to the tornado victims in Granbury, TX.

(KCEN) -- The long road to recovery is now even tougher for victims of the tornado outbreak in north Texas. FEMA will not be helping those who lost their homes rebuild. FEMA typically helps with disaster recovery by giving out low-interest home repair loans from the Federal Government. But despite the massive damage toll, it did not rise high enough to meet the $34-million requirement for FEMA assistance.

www.kcentv.com...

What is interesting is that in your OP article, the Mayor claims that there is $57-million in damage in the town of West, TX. In the article I cited, it says that damages of $34-million+ is required for FEMA assistance. By that logic, it would stand to reason that West, TX certainly qualifies for FEMA aid; that is unless the mayor is grossly overestimating the actual damages.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonweed
FEMA doesn't have the money to help rebuild? not a disaster?? wtf??? I think they're just too lazy...not
to mention too cheap, to help. FEMA is a joke!

I don't think they're lazy and cheap.

This is 100% political targeting.

Let's see if someone can figure it out.

FEMA has Derr Ordaz.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I would imagine that the fertilizer plant had insurance and they are the ones who should be financially responsible for the cost of all the damages. This wasn't a natural disaster but a man made one and the fertilizer plant is liable for the destruction caused by the explosion. I feel for the people who have lost their homes and infrastructure and while it does not help their immediate problems it is my hope that they are banding together with a team of lawyers for a massive class action lawsuit. I'm sure that FEMA thinks that is exactly what the people will do- therefore why should FEMA rebuild the town AND the people get paid for the same by the plants insurance?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I do not get me wrong here, as I believe fema is being unjust to this town.

Shouldn't the owners of the fertilizer plant and their insurance company be the ones who pay for such damages. Isn't that the risk and responsibility of doing business? The company took the risk working with fertilizer where gas can get backed up and without proper methods in dealing with it can cause explosions. And the insurance company took a risk in even insuring such a business, but I am sure earned a killing off of them.

So why is it the tax payers responsibility in the first place.

On another Note: I believe each state should have their own fema type of program and not rely on the government in the first place. It should be up to each state to fund such program and be prepared for disasters. Oh sure they should have a federal program to help with disasters far beyond what would have normally been budgeted for or states should help each other out when in need, but all in all the states should care for themselves and not rely on the government.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
I don't think they're lazy and cheap.

Let's see if someone can figure it out.

FEMA has Derr Ordaz.

I know what you are getting at; although, I don't understand why you did not simply come out and say it.

Here is another article (Dated May2, 2013) discussing Obama offering aid to West, TX.

President Barack Obama has approved expanded disaster relief for those damaged by a devastating Central Texas fertilizer plant. The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it'll now allow direct assistance to individuals and households damaged by the April 17 explosion in West.

www.nbcdfw.com...

As Freud once said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen[/i

I have no doubt that you are correct. We may not ever get the evidence of it.
But it's not too hard to see that you are accurate with this statement.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Texas knew they were going to pay and the first sign of that was with the fires across their state which damn near ran their course before Obama deemed them worthy of federal assistance to a level that mattered. This isn't surprising and I'd imagine most Texans aren't the least bit shocked. Probably hurt and set back...but not shocked.

After all, Jarret clearly said those who stood against them would have a price to pay, to paraphrase the woman. Texas about embodies everything Obama hates. Nope..I'm not surprised at all. The only thing that surprises me is that they even bothered filing for it in the first place. Why bother?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Any photos or videos of the plant and town damaged after the explosion that members can post? Like a broad scale type image.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm not surprised, we have some stupid/corrupt politicians here in Texas.
When they send them to the House and Senate, the water (or something) makes them even more stupid/corrupt.

However, this plant explosion could have been prevented, if they had followed the regulations and been inspected properly. I know the the fanatical stupidity of the 'anti-regulation' crowd who say 'business should govern and regulate itself,' will be up in arms; but the truth of matter all ways comes down to this:

When there is no one acting to force business to follow regulations, they will not self regulate.

The history of such things is evident and repeated time and again. Often with loss of life.

I'm betting we'll see an even worse tragedy come out of Monsanto in my lifetime; for just that reason.

M.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The fertilizer plant had one million only in insurance..Can you believe that?

www.dailykos.com...#

This might explain why Fema wont help them..Texas wants to break away from federal governmet and be independent from them..

usnews.nbcnews.com...
edit on 12-6-2013 by StarryNights because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StarryNights

Since I live in Texas I believe I would know if my state was trying to secede from the Union. 34,000 signatures isn't even the population of one decent sized town in Texas. The crap some news agencies will latch onto when it's a slow news day.....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The county the disaster occurred in must request assistance from the State government. The Governor then must request Federal assistance. The President then can declare a Federal disaster in the affected areas, which opens up federal assistance / funding via FEMA. If the President does not declare a disaster then the FEMA request is handled by FEMA based on their criteria.

If FEMA refuses that decision can be appealed by the state for a review, and we go from there.

We should not rely on FEMA for issues like this. The business and insurance companies are responsible.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join