It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians will be forced to eat meat in SHTF Scenario

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

A diet of rabbit would be a bad move I think.

Any one thing in excess is a bad idea. However, if rabbit was your main meat, and supplemented with veggies, etc. the rabbit starvation issue wouldn't apply. ANY all meat diet would be extremely harmful, as would an all veggie diet that didn't consider vegan ways to get those other nutrients.

When facing starvation, we will eat ANYTHING that is edible. Period. Whether you are a vegan or vegetarian, or you really love meat, in a SHTF situation, and a food shortage, I think these little moral dilemmas will go out the window. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for folks eating what they want, and for them having their own reasons for it. Just don't try and push your agenda on me is all. It simply won't work. And, I think most vegans (or at least those I've known) are cool with that. They may not agree with me, but they respect that it is my choice to eat meat, just as I respect their choice not to.

Does it mean I agree with the way some animals are treated and processed for food? No. Certainly not. But I'm not out to change the world either.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If the SHTF .. trust me .. you'all will have more things to worry about than vegetarians and what they eat ..

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
An old timer here in Southern Oregon told me that during the Depression in the 1930s, the local deer population was completely decimated by people hunting for food. They had to repopulate with deer brought in from the other side of the Rockies or they still wouldn't be seen anywhere... and there's a lot more people living here now than there were then...

It takes time and a certain population to keep livestock whether wild or domesticated reproducing, and that includes fish. I live near the Umpqua River, which in the 1700s was so thick with salmon that you could walk across on their backs. Not so today mostly because of damming and interference with the beaver population and other natural circumstances. If everyone living on the Umpqua took just one fish out today, that would be it. The fish population would be gone, never to return.

It's a lot faster growing vegetarian food than meat food, and in a SHTF scenario, millions will die from bad water alone in the first months. At least our ancestors knew to either boil it first or make sure it had an alcohol content.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Vegetarian= Old Indian term for 'Bad Hunter'.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Vegetarian will be forced to eat HUMAN meat.

FTFY

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

It's a lot faster growing vegetarian food than meat food

You must have missed my post on rabbits. You can breed rabbits faster than any typical crop you'd grow. For rabbits, yield in about a month. For most crops, two to three months for yield. Also, in most areas, can only grow certain crops during certain months.

The real plan would be to do both, of course.

Good point about how quickly game could disappear though, especially with no agency overseeing and maintaining populations. Also, domestic herders could easily be prey to marauding bandits. Their isolation may help here though, but still it would hamper meat production (and especially any kind of distribution).

edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ragingeagles

Vegetarian will be forced to eat HUMAN meat.

Hard to imagine it coming to that. Most people really have NO idea just how much edible stuff is around them every day. Doesn't mean it is the tastiest stuff, but I'd probably dine on a bunch of bugs before considering cannibalism. Maybe that is just me, I don't know....

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

FEH!

I'm a vegetarian and i can make a meal out of the yard you mow every sunday!

Forced to eat meat...HA

I can forage acorns, plantin, dandilions,and all manor of nurishing things. Most Americans take for granted all food that is around them. ALL of it healthier than what you would buy in a grocery store.

thanks for the chuckle!

STARVE...

chuckle...
check out "Are We Designed to Eat Meat" on YouTube
edit on 14-6-2013 by WHYFIGHT because: wanted to add more info

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I like the rabbit idea. We have a very big rabbit And deer problem around here.
The rabbits just get destroyed by local authorities because no one wants them, they're everywhere, sitting in traffic on the highway you see them all over the grassy meridians...it's a real problem.
The deer have got so bad that both local authorities cull them, Also any man with a bow is allowed to bag them if on your own property or invited on to another property...they've invaded residential areas big time.

I'm over on Vancouver Island BTW.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WHYFIGHT

check out "Are We Designed to Eat Meat" on YouTube

No video is ever going to be as convincing as the fact that I salivate when a juicy steak is on the grill. If we weren't designed to eat meat, it wouldn't trigger that response. (nor would we have ever started hunting)

That said. A vegetarian is going to have far MORE options to them in a SHTF scenario I'd wager. They'd be more aware of edible plants than the average omnivore. Of course, we omnivores can enjoy a good salad too, goes great with a steak.
edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't eat meat or dairy, I haven't in quite awhile. Well, I ate chocolate mousse the other day and got VERY sick. So, when SHTF and I have to eat meat [which, I will do whatever it takes to survive] I know it will make me sick at first. I think that would cause more problems than solutions. The type of sick one would get would require more water and nutrients. How many people die from bad bowel movements? Or, have died?

There are loads of edible things that I would go to for before meat. Certain leaves and flowers are edible. Bugs are edible, and yes I would rather eat bugs than die. They don't taste that bad.... They're sour and have a lot of nutrients. I mean, those things seriously are jam packed with almost everything except fat. However, I would never in my right mind recommend eating cockroaches.

The thing is, for vegans and vegetarians, we can't just go from our diet to hunt a deer or a rabbit or a squirrel, eat it and NOT get sick. We have to work up to being able to eat those things.

Cannibalism is something that might be more common than people would think. It's not so much having to kill people, as people are just dying. With my heart conditions, I know I would be one of the first to go

If you're starving and you see a freshly dead corpse...... The problem would be, how much meat does it have on it, what did the person eat before hand, what have they done to their body in terms of smoking and drinking, and if they have disease or not. There's stories of people turning on one another because they were starving.

I think I would also have to calculate how much energy I am putting in to hunt and digest the thing vs how much energy it gives me.

Also, rabbits are VERY good as the mod had said. They do more than grow quickly, and reproduce like, well, rabbits. Their pelts would be useful in the winter, as well as other body parts. Hm... I know a place littered with wild rabbits....

All I know is where I live, the growing season is insanely long. It does not snow here. Hardly ever freezes. Hopefully my "bean farm" will help out a lot. As well as bamboo.

[Sorry for not well flowing post, I am, well, eating right now hahaha]

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Again, may I remind you of the Berlin Air Lifts, derp. Something like that, anyway, we have very good logistical capabilities to make large shipments at short notice.
edit on 14-6-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure exactly how much shipping takes place over air internationally, but I imagine that value can be taken to indicate a certain amount of resistance to critical logistical problems. Especially if you regard that initial value as a smaller part of overall capability for air operations.

www.youtube.com...

^Didn't really watch it TBH, so I don't know if it is good or not. Srrry, not really heavy reading.
edit on 14-6-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You can't grow produce in freezing temperatures,
False. Its not even all that hard.

Everyone will be at war with eachother...kill to survive is how they will see it once that hunger settles in.
Thats a pretty big assumption. I think you would see a lot of communities form for mutual benefit.

Vegetarians will be forced to eat meat or die
Why? If there is meat available to hunt, there is vegetation available to eat. There HAS to be.

You guys will be forced to hunt and fish
Not if you know what you are doing.

. Tell me how a vegetarian could survive this scenario because I'm not seeing it.
1)gathering, same as was done before stores existed; 2)growing (yes it can be done, even in the winter)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I disagree, I think wildlife would be depleted quickly in some areas, though not all.

And in order to counteract that fast shipping would occur before the situation erupted. = no DOOM and higher prices on shipped goods/air travel/fuel/etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I believe this can easily be done. Use a good greenhouse. Many veggies do grow in the winter with little warmth. Just add sun and water/nutrients from a good hydroponic set up and your good to go.

If fact.. growing your own food in winder will be easier than hunting all the time. It will provide nutrients meat doesn't give. And the meat eaters will need those veggies too.

I believe what will happen is people will get together as a community and build large greenhouses and hydroponic systems to grow food. Everyone will share or ration out the food to everyone else so all is taken care of. This goes for any food grown and any meat obtained. Of course this place will be heavily defended but because it will be a large community effort the people will all help defend it.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

At least our ancestors knew to either boil it first or make sure it had an alcohol content.

Civilization begins with distillation

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The only thing though is they'll have signed their own death warrent. because if you're a veggi for a long time you actually lose the ability to eat meat. If you try you vomit I think. Veggi's don't seem to get it, look at your mouth you have I-teeth. (fangs). You don't have deer teeth. but each to their own.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Actually some of them will out last many others. For some of them, have studied roots and plants and can survive without fish and grubs, though some may add that to their diets in the winter months out of necessity.

If a true huge cycle occurs that throws the majority into survival mode, the meat and fish will be gone in a year or so, so unless everyone is set up with aquaponics, they're going to perish anyway.

Now here is the thing, THOUGHT and especially THOUGHT LINKED TO FEELINGS, and HAPPINESS, and BELIEF, the kind of belief that is One, with your Subconscious (the co-creator element of yourself that is connected to your Infinite Soul), Creates.

So why are you picturing that kind of scenario to begin with.

Picture instead, the energies coming in waking people up, everyone loving and equalizing, and the white and grey hats amongst the so called elite world mismanagers, waking up and joining the people in joy and equality, serving them on bended repentant knees, and the dark hats getting major counseling.

When you give to others, you are GIVEN to. As you do good, GOOD COMES IN.

Nothing can topple earth if people Love.

And if its the right cycle, the healing will come in anyway before that would happen. The Good still wins.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Most likely it will be the other way around. Once all the meat has either been harvested or gone bad people will need to eat more and more vegetables. No need to fight over food either, there will be plenty. I would gladly teach others to forage and grow in all seasons. SHTF= work together to survive not bunker in and kill everyone. People are silly.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by signalfire

At least our ancestors knew to either boil it first or make sure it had an alcohol content.

Civilization begins with distillation

Yes, a few years after SHTF, I will be distilling some fine blockade, making beer and growing 'baccy and honeybees.

You guys, if you drop by, can also get some light farrier work for the horses I'll sell you. Shoeing and tooth floating at fair rates.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join