It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Messaging For Extraterestrial Intelligence (METI)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There's a new initiative to send messages into outerspace with the hopes someone is listening and anyone cand do it. A new website will allow anyone who wants to send a message into outerspace to do so. The website launches this monday and there seems to be some fear amongst the community that there's a chance we are inviting an invasion.

www.theverge.com...

The site is up but I haven't tried sending anything out so I don't know if it working yet.

EDITED:
I removed the site address as it is only collecting email addresses until launch and posting sites that collect data is not allowed here.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wow did you produce that video? Awesome! I watched it at least 10 times to see the bangs girl talk about her alien lover. This is very nice idea. Wish I had thought of it first.
edit on 12-6-2013 by WormwoodSquirm because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Greetings,

People that believe we are inviting an invasion need to realise that we are already being invaded by our very own governments. It couldn't get any worse

Though, this is great and I cant wait to use it. Hope I get a reply

Be safe be well and thanks for sharing.

Spiro

ETA: I sent a message that read : Greetings, I am a prisoner on my planet called Earth. Our Mother Earth is in great danger. Please listen to other messages that say the same thing. We need your assistants to defeat our so called rulers so that we can not only restore our Great Mother Earth but also get our lives back. Yours loving, Me!!!
edit on 12-6-2013 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Great I just signed up

What will everyones message be?

Iam going to warn them.

"WARNING my Alien pals Humanity is nuts, full of bigots and racists, leave us a few thousand years and If still around hopefully the intelligent ones of us would have sorted the place out.....Unless you are hot humanoid green aliens...then just come to my house"

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

Me? No. I'm just passing along the info, starting a conversation as to whether, or not, we are inviting an invasion and, perhaps, a discussion on the things people will send to our extraterrestrial brothers.

Personally, I don't think we are inviting an invasion but sending messages out but I do fear that any beings that come, or have come, will see us for what we are and either run, as fast as they can, or destroy us before we can spread our kind to other planets.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

One of the things I thought was cool is you can track your message's progress. I might have to send one simply for that feature alone.

And people can send photos. Hopefully those will be about the beauty of our world and not "people of walmart" type stuff.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I can only imagine what people will send. I'm sure there will be a real crazy mix of messages and the collective message will be one of "do not enter."

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
another thought, will the NSA monitor this as well? Will they know when I am texting with Alf?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

OMG OMG OMG OMG! this is freaking AWESOME! **feeling like a 12yo girl going to a Justin Bieber concert haha**

I'm so happy to be alive in this day and age. Would've never thought that something like this could be done, specially from where I'm from. Very small town.

Perhaps in 30-40 years space travel will be as cheap as today's regular airplane tickets. Well, maybe not as "cheap", but you know what I mean...

Something I ponder upon is watching earth from space, I think that the day I realize this dream I can die a happy soul. Not going off topic, its just that this news that a regular Joe can send a message to space is awesome geek news! AMAZING! Thank you for this post, OP!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I like Michio Kaku's statement that if aliens could observe our signals or similar they would probably be way far advanced as a civilization that to listen to us and our message would be like one of us stopping to listen and talk to a worm.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Stephen Hawking warned against sending messages (though our early TV broadcasts are well on their way to our local neighborhood already). He pointed out that even in our own species, things haven't worked out so well for less technologically advanced people when meeting more technologically advanced people, so we shouldn't draw attention to ourselves, at least until our technology advances some more.

I find it hard to argue with that idea. Listening for messages is much safer than sending them.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I've never been one to think that we should broadcast our location out in the cosmos, but haven't we already been doing that for decades with radio signals and television signals?

There's a fairly large "radio bubble" spanning about 200 light years in all directions surrounding Earth apparently... Source

I guess this project different though since people wll be able to target specific locations. Still, it's a bad idea in my opinion.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Dominar because: typo

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Eeeeek good point, better change my message.

"To our soon to be Alien overlords do not eat or kill Boymonkey, If you are the Hot Green kind of Alien you can mate with me and I will not send you messages asking why you have not got back to me, If not I just taste really bad, Btw Mars has better weather than earth".

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the messages will keep even the meanest guys in the cosmos away, they'll be afraid of catching something.

That aside this is a brilliant idea and I can't wait to start reading/watching the messages (that's genius of this). I'll be putting one up for sure.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

If you look back at ancient civilizations, and replace angels and god for aliens, you can see how a group of beings would react to a technologically advanced race. They'd be deified, they'd be feared and they'd be loved, all depending on what they do with that technology.

What's important to point out is that we can't get along with each other, we have large portions of our population that cannot accept that some of us are black or white, or blonde or brunette and we clearly have issues over the various faiths. If some species comes along and tells all the jews, catholics, muslims etc that there is a god and his name is alf, we're going to have some serious chaos here.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What if they have one of those automatic STAAUs (Signal Transmogrifier and Amplification Unit) that just automatically increases the signal a gazillion times and beams it back to earth and fries us?

edit on 12-6-2013 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why would aliens want to speak with barbarians who's main interest (perceived from space) is tribal warfare?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
We should do what a lot of people do when they are interested in getting to know someone better -- ask them to dinner!...

...errrrrr, on second thought, maybe we shouldn't ask them to dinner, just in case they misunderstand the menu.

Maybe just ask them out for a coffee, then.

edit on 6/12/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I would imagine that one of the fears people have regarding the invitation for invasion is that they will see how pathetic and dangerous we are, and they will see that our planet has some value, and they will evict us in a most unpleasant manner (see the post above yours)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I would imagine that one of the fears people have regarding the invitation for invasion is that they will see how pathetic and dangerous we are, and they will see that our planet has some value, and they will evict us in a most unpleasant manner (see the post above yours)

Well we've abused our home so I guess we deserve eviction

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join