It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School refuses child lunch over £1.75 debt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

It wouldn't cost anyone a penny to have given the kid a snack with food not served before binning it. It would only be thrown away so why not give him a bite to eat with it first?

God help such people on Judgement day.

And why do you bang on about 400 years ago and 3rd world countries? I thought we were talking about the UK in 2013 AD, a first world nation and a supposedly civilized society (although I am have having major problems believing it any more).

"A civilization can be measured by how it treats it's weakest". - Ghandi.
edit on 13-6-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
In the public school district we are in the lunches are supplied by an outside company as well. Whenever there is a balance owed the student can still charge a lunch so they can eat but they do make sure it is paid back at the end of each year. I believe making a student go hungry is a horrible thing to do regardless of the amount owed.

It is also quite humiliating for the child involved that owes the money and has to either go hungry or speak to the lunch people about an amount owed in front of their friends.

My oldest son is graduating high school this year and they denied him his cap and gown that we paid for at the beginning of the year because he owed $1.50 on his lunch account. I fully understand it needs to be paid but that is not the way to make sure it is done. They do the same thing if there are library books owed and uniforms as well but that is school property.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

k well guess you missed the point . That's ok really don't expect to much on here .
People getting all upset over a kid missing lunch . As for 3rd world countries I question if this is exactly what we are dealing with . I guess I am to assume most people there cannot afford a 35 month food bill . No wonder your country is going down hill financially most people there I guess sit there with their hands outs excepting a freebie from the government .

Yet none of you provided a solution ,just poor billy is half dying in school because dead beat dad can't cough up 35 buck or get off his butt in the morning to make a lunch . Many kids went to school with out here and the usa what is the big deal with you people .

Why not provide a solution instead of being an arm chair hero from a computer I offered a few but yet you are still going on about the ethics behind how business works lol .seems that people like you are the problem as you are not the one helping with solutions instead you are getting a hate on me as I explain to you people how business works and coming to your own silly conclusions about me is rather pathetic , that is fine really I am used to this sort of ignorance from people on this site.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

No, it is you who is missing the point. You can't see beyond money like most people can't these days.

And I have done no such thing as putting hate on you or anyone, just pointing out the avariciousness in throwing away food before offering a hungry child something to eat from it first, just because they can't profit from it. It's despicable.

And I doubt these money-grabbing people would give a dying, starving 3rd world child so much as a crust of stale, mouldy bread. Because they don't care about people. And they have proved that money and profit is all they care about.

And as for a solution, this sort of thing didn't happen until school kitchens were privatised. All kids were fed in school before privatisation. So I would suggest we revert back to pre-privatisation.

Money aint the be all and end all to life my friend, as most will find out soon enough when it all crashes around your ears, and all your precious money will be so useless it won't be worth wiping your arse on.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

No, it is you who is missing the point. You can't see beyond money like most people can't these days.
No I am just taxed enough 1/3 of my wages are taxes with a 5% sales tax plus hidden taxes I pay for fuel / Why should I make less because people are lazy or can't pay their bills on time ? !!

And I have done no such thing as putting hate on you or anyone, just pointing out the avariciousness in throwing away food before offering a hungry child something to eat from it first, just because they can't profit from it. It's despicable.
I agree never said other wise I was merely bringing the corporate point of view of it's customers . sorry that was so elusive to you with the few others on this thread .

And I doubt these money-grabbing people would give a dying, starving 3rd world child so much as a crust of stale, mouldy bread. Because they don't care about people. And they have proved that money and profit is all they care about.
Yes that is the point I was making the kid learned a valuable lesson .

And as for a solution, this sort of thing didn't happen until school kitchens were privatised. All kids were fed in school before privatisation. So I would suggest we revert back to pre-privatisation.
like I said start a petition of it bothers people so much it has to start with some one

Money aint the be all and end all to life my friend, as most will find out soon enough when it all crashes around your ears, and all your precious money will be so useless it won't be worth wiping your arse on.
I never claimed money is the be all and end all to my life , but I do need it to survive and provide for my family . I don't make a hell of of a lot money why I work so much enough to provide for my at home wife and 2 kids and squirrel away a little bit every month . Whats even more funny if you actually knew me you would probably laugh at your last statement I am not materialistic and hope the financial system crashes . but what ever think as you will or come to what ever conclusion that you will really shows how poorly you pass judgement on people.... typical .

as if these comments were not directed to me right

I swear civilization is devolving.

God help such people on Judgement day.

Then you go one to say

And I have done no such thing as putting hate on you or anyone

lol whats the view like up there on your high horse
edit on 13/6/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/6/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

I'm sorry but nobody is going "hungry" or "starving" by missing one lunch.

It is the parent's responsibility to either pay up the pre-pay program (put there for THEIR convenience), give the kid lunch money, or pack the kid a lunch.

The Dad failed on ALL THREE COUNTS here... This is COMPLETELY on the parent. If the dad was constantly coming up short on the pre-pay program, he should have ensured his kid always carried lunch money in case this situation came up. It's all on dad...sorry.

We're not talking about some kid in a poverty program here, but one who is in an elective pre-pay program. If dad wasn't paying the bill, he still had two other options for the kid to eat lunch. Oddly, the same two options I had when I went to school.

edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

...The Dad failed on ALL THREE COUNTS here...

Exactly - the Dad failed and the son, an 11 year old kid suffered - doesn't seem quite right to me and certainly not what I would expect from a caring society - and it certainly wouldn't have happened back in the day's I went to school, but hey, I guess that's progress for you.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by NeoSpace

In our school district if a child has racked up the limited amount of credit and still has no money for lunch they give the child a sandwich, bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a carton of milk- and we don't have a rich school district. It's inhumane to let a child go without food when the school has plenty, especially when most districts waste money on a lot of superfluous crap.

You would think, but that requires having a droplet of humanity. It is just the sad reality that we still live in inhumane times, when the anti-social(anti-human) psychological disorder is running rampant. We have the means, but out of principle, some people think it is acceptable for other human beings to go hungry, starve, or just die in a ditch somewhere(preferably out of sight, so as not to hurt the sensibilities of "good" people who advocate for such ends/end sarcasm).

Anyone who supports others, especially kids, going hungry out of principle, needs to see a shrink.**

**Studies show no amount of medication or counseling, can help treat people who have Anti-Social(Anti-Human/Psychopath) personality disorders
edit on 16-6-2013 by korathin because: expanded upon

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I started a thread about this on a parenting forum in the UK, and the father actually came on to comment (or so he said)
he claims the school used an out of date email address to try and contact them, one which they had updated with the school 6 months previosuly, and had proof of this.
It begs the question why the school made no attempt to talk to the parents in person, after all he was a school governor, or by phone, as as the my daughters primary school does, with a letter put into your childs book bag.
The school dropped the ball on this, he claimed they had also refuse a child a meal for a 10p debt, which was proved to be an admin error on behalf of the school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join