It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using a man's sperm after death: It's possible, but is it ethical?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

You do realize the dead person has family and friends who would be affected by this right? You assume everything ends with you dieing, Only if that was possible.

Ill give organs but my genetic materials(enabling a combination of my DNA) are off limits.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well now would be the time I hope we as a human race are shoved back into the depths of nature to relive our lives and relearn our basic understandings so we can stop acting like complete moronic idiots.

How many men and women alive are there? Who needs to have a dead man's baby? They need to not be able to have kids anymore, little johnny will understand, death means no lil brother or sister by daddy because daddy isn't alive anymore, what kind of lessons would you be teaching your child anyways?

Where's daddy?

Whoever does this is vile, since you are creating a situation most parents hope and dread never happens. Creating a life that will never see or talk to his parent is the worst crime in this world of the living in my opinion, you have giving that child HALF the abilities and resources you COULD HAVE!

That's the definition of bad parenting.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Briles1207

You do realize the dead person has family and friends who would be affected by this right? You assume everything ends with you dieing, Only if that was possible.

Ill give organs but my genetic materials(enabling a combination of my DNA) are off limits.

Yes, I completely understand that.

My issue is people stating that it is unfair on the deceased.

I am certain that my family would not share my views should anything happen to me, but thats just my opinion.

Im not suggesting everyone should agree with me, I just feel it isnt as degrading and sordid as people are making out. Creating a life from the end of another seems on the face, a very beautiful and poetic thing.

My concern would certainly be for that of the child. To willingly create a child who will never know one of its parents.

Hell, if im still reproducing long after im gone, im doing something right ;-)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
Whoever does this is vile, since you are creating a situation most parents hope and dread never happens. Creating a life that will never see or talk to his parent is the worst crime in this world of the living in my opinion, ...

Exactly! The dead person is being raped ... his choice of to be a parent or not are being taken away .. and he is leaving behind a child (or two or three or whatever) who he will not be able to care for or even talk to. That's a parents worst nightmare. You said it so well!

Glad to see someone gets it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Lets say a woman does have a kid with a dead mans sperm...
Can she then go to the Social Security Admin. and claim
survivors benefits for the kid(s)???

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

You are pretty close to what I was thinking. I was thinking more along the lines of inheritance than Social Security.

A friend of mine got a job with a chemical company right after getting married. Some of the chemicals had the possibility of infecting or altering his DNA, so they decided to put his sperm on ice, just in case anything happened. Move forward a few years and my friend gets divorced. His Ex-wife is unhappy with the amount of alimony that she is getting and decides to do something about it. She forges some paperwork and has herself artificially inseminated with his sperm. When the baby is born, she petitions the Court for child support. He challenges it, but, the DNA test shows that he is the father. Once everything is figured out, she manages to duck the forgery charges, but, he petitions for and gets custody of the baby. Technically his Ex broke no laws, but, ....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I am sure its okay for a family, lets say the father died and the mother intends on having children, she would want HIS and nobody else's. Sure I think it completely ethical in that sense.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

More info on the Diane Blood case in the uk here.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Interesting thread, the first thing that came to my mind was the ramifications of the legal side of things.
My thoughts are towards the money aspect of things, I die and my parents are worth say 20 million and I have no sisters or brothers.

The entire estate would go to me and me alone........Now that I am dead and my partner ( notice it could be just a common law wife) decides to use my sperm and get pregnant without my consent of course.

Now how does this affect the Estate of my still living parents?

Good thought food this thread is.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This is a hypothetical. There is gene banks I believe. The storage of wich I couldn't elaborate on. Since freezing of cells is destructive, I would think they have some method of long term preservation. I would wander, but in the advent of cataclisimic earth changes I could see why you would want a healthy gene pool available to regenerate a dying civilization.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join