It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Most Spied-On EU Country by U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Germany appears to be the most snooped on EU country by the US, a map of secret surveillance activities by the National Security Agency (NSA) shows.

EU officials are to question their US counterparts on data snooping in Europe. The color-coded map of secret surveillance activities by the NSA ranks countries according to how much surveillance they are currently undergoing - green for the least and red for the most watched. While all EU member states boast variant shades of green, Germany stands out, color-coded orange.

There you go, the N.S.A. is spying on people world-wide! Even in the E.U.!

RT: Germany Most Spied on Country in the EU

“I can only speculate. First of all, Germany is geographically situated between East and West. Historically it was always the case. On the other hand, Germany is strong economically within Europe. There may be economic reasons, not only protection from terrorists,” says Richter.

“The question is, is that ok? Even if 99 per cent of Americans say it is ok for that to happen, it is still wrong,” she adds.

edit on 12-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Americans don't know the first thing about anything, in my experience, at least as a group. Getting them to agree by popular vote that spying on other civilians in other countries is okay doesn't really justify much i.m.o.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

“I can only speculate. First of all, Germany is geographically situated between East and West. Historically it was always the case. On the other hand, Germany is strong economically within Europe. There may be economic reasons, not only protection from terrorists,” says Richter.

“The question is, is that ok? Even if 99 per cent of Americans say it is ok for that to happen, it is still wrong,” she adds.

Americans don't know the first thing about anything, in my experience, at least as a group. Getting them to agree by popular vote that spying on other civilians in other countries is okay doesn't really justify much i.m.o.

That's an excellent point, and I want to hit the concept just a little harder. I saw a thread earlier concerning some idiotic poll of Americans about their views on domestic spying. Basically, more-or-less half of us could give a s***.

But even if 99% don't care, that still doesn't make it right. And it's still Unconstitutional and illegal. I see idealistic idiots come on here all the time with grand, detailed schemes supporting direct democracy. They want to see it implemented right now(!). If only we had direct and instantaneous democracy in this country....

Idiots. Uneducated, uninformed, brainwashed idiots. What more need be said....?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Whilst I think the US should keep its nose out of other peoples affairs, Germany did start the two last major global conflicts (or at least a major player in the first).

There is still a large neo-nazi movement in Germany, I guess the US sees it as a case of better safe than sorry.

Still though..nosey buggers aint they.

EDIT: for the record, I did see the east /west situated and economic reasoning, I don't think that's the case though, America is a paranoid little nation (as far as the government is concerned).
edit on 12/6/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
As another,and possibly other posters have noted....
Best to always keep an eye on those smart-trouble causing little Jerries.

Still NOT smart to instigate things with though....we all know why.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Well, funny story. After World War II, Americans got a bunch of Nazi scientists and Nazi experts. And guess what our terrorism task force is called?

Homeland Security

Guess where the Homeland is? Germany.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I thought Germany was the fatherland? (I get what you were saying btw, lol)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

It was The Fatherland, but I actually ran into a news story by a liberal back in 2002 that went into depth on the origins of the word "Homeland," found it to be German, and thought the name was going to have a bad effect on morale.

Funny how things work. And suspicious.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Here it is.

The New York Times: Washington Talk; Prickly Roots of Homeland Security

(2002)

Nazis favored the word ''heimat,'' or ''homeland,'' and homeland defense forces were known as Heimwehr or Heimatschutz in Austria and Germany from the late 1920's.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Here it is.

The New York Times: Washington Talk; Prickly Roots of Homeland Security

(2002)

Nazis favored the word ''heimat,'' or ''homeland,'' and homeland defense forces were known as Heimwehr or Heimatschutz in Austria and Germany from the late 1920's.

Hey, TAKE THAT BACK! We didn't invent Homeland Security! We had nothing to do with that special kind of madness! At least that we didn't!

*scnr*

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Most likely that since the US knows, Europe is or was dangerously becoming more powerfull then the US (economically).
Much like Russia was once powerfull military and they where succesfully dealt with.
The US also has access to monitor all money transfers in Europe, the EU trust the US (oddly enough), all in the name of terrorims of course! So the EU granted the US all the money tranfers going on in Europe.
Then US banks selling worthless but AAA rated mortages to EU banks after this their rating agency's downgrade EU country's when their banks get in troubles because of this. After the downgrades it's get more expensive to get access to new loans (more interest rates), so they downgrade EU country's even more.

But yea Germany still isn't really hit that hard still, they can't have enough intelligence on Germany with the goal to find ways possibly to hurt the EU most economically strong country?

edit on 12-6-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Hey if you are from Europe and you don't like the U.S. right now, you are my friend.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plugin
But yea Germany still isn't really hit that hard still, they can't have enough intelligence on Germany with the goal to find ways possibly to hurt the EU most economically strong country?

More than likely, apparently the top politicians / brass/ corporate goons of the U.S. are ruthless bastards, so I would not put it past them.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have no doubt that the NSA, once it went into the 'illegal' (you can debate the point) is a multi-headed monster.
I see no reason therefore that, intelligence, industrial espionage, private profiteering and just about any kind of gangsterism, and unltimately money laundering is up for grabs.
How much the administration knew about the whole set-up, anybody's guess, however there is a chance for Obama to come to the podium and speak out about all he knows, he has to say something, and he has also to speak about Edward Snowden's stance as a whistleblower since Obama pledged to improve protection for whistleblowers citing the very things that the NSA have been up to, actually in that pledge he specifically used the words, 'Patriot' and courageous, in relation to whistleblowers,

"Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process."

The Obama-Biden plan. Scroll down to the whistleblowers section,

change.gov...

Also, I'm sure many of you have seen this other quote by Obama by now,

And here a British documentary in part,

Listen to the reporters parting shot, a reference to the Boston bombers.

Obama must speak out!

edit on 12-6-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

S+F for you OP.
Here is the yt-video with the interview from RT:

As stated, the US-spying on Germany is clearly not for anti-terrorism-purposes... more likely for plain industrial espionage.
Our Interior Ministry asked the right question IMO: aren't we allies now after all?

Obama has some explaining to do when he comes here next Tuesday...
edit on 16-6-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Is your post serious? You want him to implicate himself? You do realize that as head of the Executive branch of the US he is in charge of this program, right?

top topics

join