It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To design or not to design, my baby. That is the question.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Why would you want to design something that you cant make Your selves.
Where is the glory in that?

What if the design doesnt turn out to be according to Your standard?
Than you would hve a chield that is tampered With.

A chield is a gift not a Product to be designed.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It's just a matter of time before the "average" of today is deemed misfit or disabled or "bad genes" tomorrow. As we learn more, we'll figure out what genes produce the best XYZ. The genes that produce less impressive results will eventually be classified as being a form of disability.

At some point, genes will hit a limit. Who knows how far they go, but I doubt they can take us very far unless we engineer a new kind of human dna. We'll have to turn to things like surgery and prosthetics and nanomachines and pills and other things to extend lifespan beyond its natural limit. Of course, practicing a healthy lifestyle helps too, but it's hard to find people that can do it all.

Imagine we find a new set of genes that will make us live 200 years longer, except that we lose our hearing and it makes our skin so sensitive to sunlight that it kills us. Who knows. I doubt we'll find anything like that, but we may find genes that could increase lifespan but what if they're not human? Look at all the creatures and the dna expression. How far can genetic engineering take us?
edit on 11-6-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Nature is infinitely complex, and our little minds can barely comprehend, compete with, or fully appreciate that.

Why not leave the creation of your child to the awesome intelligence that births stars and atoms, makes rainbows and snowflakes, oceans and jungles? I want my kid to be made with some of THAT!

Don't forget, there are unforeseen side effects to nearly every man-made medical endeavor. I'd hate to screw something up (unwittingly) and leave that only male child sterile several generations down the line.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

If you have the financial means to do it, why not? Go for it and make your son the best genetic specimen he can be. But don't let your daughter or anyone know. You are only setting her up for a psychological complex and years of therapy in the future.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by winofiend

Yes, but lets not forget the exploits of a certain genetically enhanced doctor on a certain deep space station orbiting a worm hole. He was a credit to his production line.

edit on 11-6-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

Haha Zing, trumps my Kirkist post by a mile!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Something is wrong. I am in 100% agreement with Muzzleflash! Oo

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not sure, but we should maybe buy lottery tickets!! lol

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

That's funny. A pattern....hmmm.

Maybe we agree a lot more than we realize but for some reason keep reading each other's posts all wrong, or maybe a magical fairy changes our posts after we make them purposely to make us look bad to each other?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

I want to tone down my earlier wrath of Mother Nature post if I may...

every man wants a son, I think. Today you can make that decision and 'modify' life more to your liking, if you wish. But look at this way.

Some think that wanting a child is the child already there calling to you to have it. So you get that but 'intervene' in the natural course to manipulate things the way you want. Which spoils the "plan", see? Theres no proof for that either way, but what if you were supposed to have a girl and instead you "make a boy" and the girl spirit slips in there?

Or you were going to get a boy anyway but now you get the wrong boy.

It depends on your belief system, but I would be careful. Think twice.

One sure way to get a boy thats 'supposed' to be here is to adopt, maybe.

Just some stuff I though of. Its about life and progression of souls. After all you aren't modifying a car.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Many people cannot have children of their own, so I disagree with the idea entirely. It is completely selfish. Wanting a certain sex child has lead to infanticide and other horrible acts that go on even more today.

I say hope you have what you want, try for a third, fourth, etc., otherwise, adopt.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Double

edit on 12-6-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

I don't see how it is selfish.

As far as not getting a male, I wouldn't mind. I just think I would be a fool not to take advantage of our capabilities. I see it similar to taking medicine VS praying for a positive outcome to illness.

What is the difference? Taking antibiotics is selfish then since you refuse to let nature take its course and try to forcibly preserve your life instead of risking death from illness.

The state is not going to raise my child so I wouldn't worry about me killing off a baby girl. We don't have a one child per family law where I am from. That is what makes people kill off girls in that part of the world, not wanting an heir to your family name.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I see what you are saying, but I have become more pragmatic in my views. I try to avoid adhering to hypothetical barriers I do not set myself and superstitions not founded in a personal experience of spirituality.

I feel I would get the child I am supposed to either way. That is why its a hard question for me.

Like someone mentioned, I am not altering a soul, just a vessel. I would alter my child's body once born if it could save his/ her life.

I try to avoid the knee-jerk reaction of the issue. Some people take issue with contraceptives for example for the same reasons of them being "unnatural ". Ask yourself if in a 100 years people will see this as taboo ...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by fictitious

I don't see how it is selfish.

As far as not getting a male, I wouldn't mind. I just think I would be a fool not to take advantage of our capabilities. I see it similar to taking medicine VS praying for a positive outcome to illness.

What is the difference? Taking antibiotics is selfish then since you refuse to let nature take its course and try to forcibly preserve your life instead of risking death from illness.

The state is not going to raise my child so I wouldn't worry about me killing off a baby girl. We don't have a one child per family law where I am from. That is what makes people kill off girls in that part of the world, not wanting an heir to your family name.

The more we humans mess with stuff on a scientific level, the more crappy the product. Just think of GMO foods. There is no comparing antibiotics, which occur naturally, to changing the sex of your baby by injecting hormones and chemicals that alter the chromosomes.

Why not adopt a boy?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

I don't know. We will love our next child regardless. I just want to give him a better chance at excelling in life. Text

If your child is loved,and receives support and encouragement from you and your spouse,is brought up to respect him/herself and others,and are raised to be sensible and decent,that child is already at an advantage.

I cannot tell you what to do,only what i would have done in your position-and that is to let it flow, as it would have without intervention.You are fortunate to be able to have children,there are many childless couples who would be overjoyed to have a child of their own-of Any gender.I do feel this is "playing God" which may not be your viewpoint,or that of many other members,but it's how i see it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by manicminxx

I can appreciate wanting to keep the order of things. Perfect is the imperfect world. I agree.

My issue is more a question of how my daughter will react if she ever knew and if my wife and I would treat our designer baby differently like expecting more from him and pushing him harder.

There really isn't any comparative material out there to Gage our response as a family.

Thanks for your response.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Sounds like your mind is already made up. You will have your way. What does honey say?

Beee honest...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Not entirely. The Mrs doesn't care either way but it is more of my idea. I was/ am concerned with how we will react to a designer baby as a family, primarily my daughter. Like any idea I have my reservations and my inclinations but I am still undecided.

Like I said before I used to be VERY against trans-humanist ideas due to my upbringing in a traditional Catholic home.

I can say now after making this thread and reading some material online that I will do both play with chance and if my wife doesn't get pregnant in 2 months I will go all out and take advantage of everything we are capable of since I am still not entirely sure.

Thanks to everyone for your time and consideration.

edit on 13-6-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You cannot control the future. I think that you understand that at some level, but you are trying to "get around" that law by bio-genetics. Your excuse is that you want a male child to carry on the family name. In my family, my husband's family name has been carried on by women, not by design but by circumstance. And going into 4 generations now. After having read your posts, I think it's more about your ego than anything else. You are going to do what you want, regardless of this thread, but at least you'll have some attention drawn to your superior genes, which will help you justify your choice to have a genetically modified son. Good luck to you sir.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Well then go at it. Good luck. Heres to your new baby!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy
My advice to you sir, do not be opposed to the forces of nature .. let it run at the will of God .. pray, hope .. God will give you the best .. because God have wonderful plan for his people..INCLUDING YOU SIR

Perfect advise. I can only add, come home to the faith brother, the Remnant is Roman Catholic. And pick
a saint's name you like for your baby. He or she will help watch over your child, their entire life.

p.s. Remember, Jesus' prayer>? That we all be one in belief. Prophecy says it is going to happen, non-believers
and non-Christians will be shown the way, but free will, it will be their decision.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join