It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado burns again!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
it looks like the Black Forest area is on fire right now along with the Royal Gorge area and a smaller fire in Big Meadows . it looks like it will be a ruff year again for wild fires with the dry heat, little humidity all mixed with stronger winds. we will have to see if they can get it under control so the thousands of people that are displaced from the event can get back to normal life.

multiple fires (link)

Three new fires (link)

edit on 11-6-2013 by NISMOALTI because: adding pictures

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Scary Dude! Hope Not Spread wide..

Your House near that? awww..go go go..flush water near your house!

edit on 11-6-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

na im about 50 miles from it, but its crazy seeing the smoke from here

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Oh crap!!! Thats where i grew up.

The good news is that black forest is relatively flat so the fire should be easier to contain.

The bad news is that there are literally thousands of homes there.

I wonder if this is like the last time though. The inspire magazine artie that seems to promote al queda promoting brush fires as terrorist threat and encourages users to do so. But the magazine however has a place where you can mail to subscribe. Thats langley virgina, yep thats right. Home of the cia.

So i wonder if maybe there is something more to this, besides the obvious.

There was a controlled fire not to long ago burned pinion county out of their homes.

Im afraid this doesnt look good.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

i have not heard any thing on the Black Forest fire but they are saying the Royal Gorge was started by a train. as with this day and age i would never count out terrorism till there is proof other wise

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NISMOALTI

Having narrowly escaped last year's Waldo Canyon fire, my heart and prayers go out to those displaced, those who have already suffered a loss from this event, and those out there fighting the fire. Watching fire roar towards my home last year was the most surreal experience I've ever had and I can only hope they can get a handle on this one faster than last year.

I'm about 10 miles from the edge of this fire... At the moment it looks to have slowed down from a few hours ago, largely thanks to the wind dying down.

ETA: I was referring to the Black Forest fire when saying "this fire"
edit on 6/11/2013 by xenthuin because: Clarification

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

THATS COOL!! no mean to joke..but very cool bro!
kepp us update *with the picture..Great!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

From what i know about that fire from locals. There was a guy up near rampart range rd that was seen fleeing at the time a small forest fire. The people who saw him asked him to stay and help put out the fire, but he refused and took off. About a month before there was an article in inspire magazine encouraging brush fires.

Look up the old thread and you will see.

Its also important that i note that the royal gorge isnt really anywhere close to the origin of the fire where it was started.

edit on 11-6-2013 by txinfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I live down here in Canon City, and my co-worker told me to go out the back of the store, and check out the fire. The way the smoke just rose up in the air was pretty, but scary. You could see the smoke swirl around very fast, which to me, told me how close it was.

At times you can just smell the smoke. I know they evacuated the Royal Gorge area, which really isn't too far from us. Curious if it'll get any closer.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread! S&F. Here we go again.. Almost to the date of the insane Waldo Canyon fire last year...

Just a few updates on the 4 fires reported today:

Black Forest fire - Still the most threatening fire, so far it is moving in a direction that will keep it in Black Forest (moving east, Southeast) and will not advance toward Colorado Springs according to local news. Mandatory evac lines have not changed and most likely wont change overnight due to calmer wind patterns. Areas immediately east/southeast of evac area are under voluntary evac status.

Edit: Also military aircraft including two Chinooks from FT. Carson have already been deployed.

Royal Gorge fire - 3500 acres last I heard, however is surrounded by several hard boundaries including a river and hwy 50. Local news is reporting that this fire is not expected to affect Canyon City proper.

Huefano county fire - So far all I've heard is 2 families have been evacuated, no major populated areas affected.

Pueblo grass fire - Reported by witness on site says the fire is small and seems to be under control by local firefighters.

Good source for updates - www.kktv.com...

Anyone wanting to refer to the thread last year on the Waldo Cayon fire can go here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-6-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Thanks for the update wookie as always!

Be safe bro and if it gets bad make sure to hit up the Walmart army surplus and gas station before everyone else!

If it gets bad I know the fire won't reach you, but the crime will.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
dont forget about the worst fire in Colorado history, the Hayman fire. witch was started by a lady ranger who's boyfriend broke up with her and she burnt a letter in the mountains. at least i think it was something like that.

all in all i hope every one is safe who is in the path of this blazes as well as the fire fighters out there working the ground.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Might actually be a good time to fire up the radios!

Don't mess up we're all watching.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Alotta crazy weather hitting the states recently. This is all they need.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Actually, believe it or not, last years Waldo Canyon fire was the most destructive and costly fire in Colorado history.
The Hayman fire may have topped it in terms of acres lost, but luckily it stayed away from very populated areas.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Actually, believe it or not, last years Waldo Canyon fire was the most destructive and costly fire in Colorado history.
The Hayman fire may have topped it in therms of acres lost, but luckily it stayed away from very populated areas.

en.wikipedia.org...

ah ok i stand corrected, thanks. i was just going off of what some of my friends told me out here.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Understatement for sure

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

Yep, nice find there.. Ahhhh flashbacks!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
My notes from the 10pm press conference for the Black Forest Fire:

Verbal agreement from congressman to use C-130s from Peterson AFB starting tomorrow morning
7500-8000 acres burned
Evacuation zone is ~25,000 acres and is the same as it has been for several hours
40-60 structures destroyed (rough estimate, likely more than that)
~150 firefighters
Several helicopters (missed the exact breakdown) already engaged
Next update 9am MST

Update 22:33 MST - Evacuation zone expanded on the east side, area was previously under pre-evacuation status
edit on 6/11/2013 by xenthuin because: Update

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

Thanks for the update,
I am wondering about 1 small detail tho. I have been hearing that the pre-evac zone was expanded northward but I have not heard anything on the mandatory zone being expanded since the lines were drawn. Any clarity on that?

Edit: nevermind, I just heard it on kktv while I was writing.. Wow, that was pretty un-expected! They had me pretty sold on the idea that the mandatory zones wouldn't be expanded tonight!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join