It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pomegranate Throughout History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

The Pomegranate Throughout History

A stroll through history reveals many references to the pomegranate among diverse cultures and religions. The ancients were aware of its health benefits, and it was a featured icon in the art and writings of numerous religions.

In Christianity the pomegranate is a symbol of the resurrection and eternal life of Jesus. Depicted in religious illustrations and art, the pomegranate is often found in devotional statues and paintings of the Virgin and Child.

In medieval legend the pomegranate tree is a fertility symbol and an important feature in the hunt of that magical creature, the unicorn. Tapestries from the period show the wounded unicorn bleeding pomegranate seeds. Once captured, the only way to tame and hold onto the mythical beast was to chain it to a pomegranate tree.

In Judaism, the pomegranate is venerated for the beauty of the tree and its fruit. The seeds are said to symbolize sanctity, fertility, and abundance. One of the seven sacred varieties of plants mentioned in the Bible, the pomegranate is said to have 613 seeds – one for each of the Bible’s 613 commandments. In the Biblical Song of Songs the rosey cheeks of a bride are likened to two halves of a pomegranate. Depictions of the fruit have also featured in Judaic architecture and design. They decorated the pillars of King Solomon’s temple and the robes and regalia of Jewish kings and priests.

In Islam, the Koran speaks with reverence of the pomegranate, which is described as containing one seed that derives from heaven. Paradise as described in the Koran consists of four gardens with shade, springs, and fruit trees, among them the pomegranate.

In Bedouin custom the pomegranate features as a fertility symbol at weddings. The groom breaks open the fruit as he and his bride enter their home, with abundant seeds ensuring many children.

In Buddhism three kinds of fruit are held as sacred – the orange, the peach, and the pomegranate. In Buddhist art the fruit represents the essence of favorable influences. Buddha is said to have cured the demoness Hariti of her evil habit of devouring children by feeding her a pomegranate.

In Japan this demoness cured by the pomegranate is known as Kishimojin and is invoked to enhance fertility.

In China the pomegranate frequently appears in ceramic art symbolizing fertility, abundance, prosperity, numerous and virtuous offspring, and a blessing.

In Greek mythology, the changing of the seasons is attributed to Persephone’s surrender to the temptations of the pomegranate. source-www.arilsystem.com... ry
edit on (6/11/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

This is a beautiful example of something almost all cultures have in common...I love to look at the things we have in common with all our brother's and sister's around the world...Maybe if we are bombarded with the things we have in common and less of the things we differ maybe this world would be a kinder place...

edit on (6/11/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
All of this, and you neglected to think about the fact that it resembles the heart?

They are certainly tasty and unique, but this seems to be more an issue of symbolism by association than anything else.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I want a pomegranate.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Shells, very interesting and unique thread you presented. Major respect for that.

I always heard the story of Eve eating a pomegranate from the tree of life instead of the apple..

I love pomegranates, but they're such a mess and nuisance to cut open for the fruit
It's worth it, I guess.

(May I give some friendly advice? Next time please provide some sources to complement your information so that a) claims can be verified, and b) additional reading is provided for those who would like to dig deeper.)

edit on 11-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Thank you for the reminder about giving the source...I added it to the OP....I appreciate the compliment and advice...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Compounds found only in pomegranates called punicalagins are shown to benefit the heart and blood vessels. Punicalagins are the major component responsible for pomegranate's antioxidant and health benefits. They not only lower cholesterol, but also lower blood pressure and increase the speed at which heart blockages (atherosclerosis) melt away. Recent medical research studied heart patients with severe carotid artery blockages. They were given an ounce of pomegranate juice each day for a year. Not only did study participants' blood pressure lower by over 12 percent, but there was a 30 percent reduction in atherosclerotic plaque. Just as astounding, participants who did not take the pomegranate juice saw their atherosclerotic plaque increase by 9 percent.1 In other studies, potent antioxidant compounds found in pomegranates have shown to reduce platelet aggregation and naturally lower blood pressure, factors that prevent both heart attacks and strokes

Nature is pretty awesome she made it easy for us, food that represents the body is good for that part of the body.

Love and harmony
Whateva

top topics

join